Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it I don't see very many people taking dreadnaughts in their lists? I personally like them, but wanted to try out different variations of the Predators recently.

Any dreadnaughts, Furioso, Venerable, anything.....

Do they stink and I'm not realizing it or are they best in certain situations?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've always preferred the las/ML with extra armor dreadnought for anti-tank. It is able to move and shoot both heavy weapons, which is a strong advtantage. If I have the extra points, I spring for Venerable and Tank Hunter as well.

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
Yeah. Those fire support dreads are nasty. I use Plasma, Power fist, Tank Hunters, and Venerable when I have points. When I don't, I use Las, ML, Smoke launchers, Extra Armor.

-Dirge

·
Registered
275 Posts
love them thats why i have 3. mine arecheap, simple

dreadnought, assault cannon, heavy flamer, extra armour smoke, drop pod

more points add venerable

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't use them because I can get a full loaded predator for less points. Being venerable is awesome, but my Elite slots are taken up by Vets and Scouts (DA Player). I see their value, but only if you're a footslogger so the dread can keep up. Or if you're super mobile and drop pod it in the fray.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem with with dreads

In my experience the main problem is how fragile they are to enemy shooting. They are amazing units on paper, about the best infantry support you could ask for, able to keep up well and provide great support in both close combat and shooting, but your opponents know this too and they just can't take much missile launcher or lascannon fire.

It also seems that often times when people take dreads, they are the only armor they field. A lot of people that mainly use infantry will use dreads to back them up and not really have any other tanks, problem is that dreads are the only armor your fielding then they are the only real target for your opponents long range anti-tank fire, and they just can't take that kind of firepower, front armor 12 doesn't hold up to serious shooting for long.

Drop pod dreads are amazing, you limit the enemy shooting to a turn or so hopefully, and arrive right on their door step ready to play, a great tactic.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Oddly enough i couldnt agree more with terminator. Most of the time (meaning unless im fighting something that likes flesh over steel <- look i made a funny for all u SM players out there) i outfit the dread with Las+ML, E armor, Venerable, Tank hunters, and Smokes if possible. Sure may be a bit (a lot) more then pred to field but pred just doesnt seem to offer as much flexability and is a bigger model which means it draws fire so i dont like it too much (and because of the fact that i dont have one because im on predator strike). most people i play with underestimate dread when i got the LR on the other side of the table and like to waste time on the LR over the dred.

but i know a long time ago when i was asking what i should add to my list, i had a lot of people telling me to get a dred above anything else

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Dreadnoughts are an excellent tool for supporting an infantry assault. I tend to arm mine with an assault cannon, dreadnought close combat weapon/storm bolter, extra armour, and smoke launchers-- quite bare bones, really-- and screen it with Rhinos. It can assist infantry in the shooting phase and it can break most opponents' backs in close combat, particularly if it's backed up by a Tactical squad. It's better for a steady advance rather than a rapid strike approach, though-- a lightning attack setup really requires the fire support to come from units that can keep up-- Vindicators, Predators with heavy bolter sponsons, and the like, while the majority of the army swoops in on jump packs or deploys from Rhinos and/or Land Raiders.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
well most of my experience with dreadnoughts comes from my Dark Angel Mortis dreadnought (2 Twin Linked lascannons), and hes been good ever since the first time I used him and he killed 750pts+ without dying, and his records been going strong ever since.
the Mobility and firepower combined produce a thing more powerful than any vehicle I can think of.
and the weaker armour is no worry, at least it never has been

·
Registered
383 Posts
A nice thing about Dreadnoughts is that they are the only SM model with 12 armour making them perfect for going against Bright/Dark Lances.

My Dreadnought I almost always field is the bare-bones Assault Cannon, CCW and Storm Bolter with no vehicle upgrades. He serves no big role and earns his points spent, nothing more.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well being a Chaos player I don't use Dreads but as for there Space marine counter parts they are rock solid, in any layout. I prefer the death Co. Furioso or a Venerable with assault cannon and ccw.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
the problem with dreds is their armour isn't spectacular and doesn't take much to penatrate

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I use one with the ML, LC and upgraded to a Ven. Tank hunter. I usually try to put him in cover somewhere in the back ground so that if he is shot at a penetrating hit can be turned into a glancing hit on a roll of 4+. I have him in every list because he does offer some heavy firepower that usually draws attention to him and away from whatever else I am doing on the board.

Remember..., Keep him in cover if you can!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Dreads are great as a backup armour for your troops. But i feel like most things in the SM armies that they are very balanced. Good on CC, good on firing, but excelling at none in particular.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
i'll be using a chaos dread with 2 combat weapons in my khorne

1 - 20 of 57 Posts