130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lord Kaldor Draigo 275

GK Librarian w/Warding Stave and Divination 185

10x Paladins w/ 2 Hammers, 7 Halberds, Banner, 4 Psycannons 665

5x Paladins w/ 3 Hammers, 2 Halberds, 2 MC Psycannons 325

Landraider Redeemer w/ Multi Melta, Psybolt ammo, Psyflame Ammo 275

Dreadnought w 2 twin linked autocannons and psybolt ammo 135

Using Grand Strategy to give the LRR and one group of Paladins if I can, scout. Librarian and Draigo go with the ten man group and halberds can then crack light armor with 3x Hammerhand.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
It's Draigo, so you don't need to be told you're low on models. Personally I'd probably downgrade the 10-man to regular terminators and use the points for a second dreadnought. You'd lose a couple of psycannons, but gain an amazing dreadnought for fire support.

You're also lacking in the anti-air department, but I can't think of much of GK AA except a 'raven.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
For 1850 points I count 17 bodies + 2 tanks. This is not a lot. I know Paladins are fun, have Apothecaries and 2 wounds, but they aren't immune to ID and most things which will get through 2+ armour will ID them (I suppose not plasma weapons, but I'm thinking melta's, lascannon and AP combat weapons).

My concerns are that against low armour, high number armies you don't have the weight of fire-power to break them with only 17 models. I mean, if they are further than 6" where you could flame them, you can only potentially fire on 3 different squads in 1 turn.

Then, if you face a similar army to this one (i.e. high armour, low number) or even an MEQ/TEQ army, you have very little in the way of anti-2+ armour, which I know would worry me.

Plus, if Drago, the Librarian and 10 paladins are foot-slogging it, they are likely going to find themselves very exposed. If you still wanted to go with this set up, I would scout the Paladins and the Librarian in the LRR and then use The Summoning to bring Drago and the other Paladins forward quickly. But then they still have to wait a turn in the open, unable to charge which could be risky.

Overall, I've found Dragowings aren't as effective since they made Nemesis Force Weapons AP3. They can't match most other terminators and rarely can the win by weight of fire.

Now, after what probably seems like a lot of negativity, I'll try and actually offer some useful comments.

I personally have found the LRR + 5 Paladins + Drago to be an effective combo. The unit is protected, and the multi-melta has been useful to me on many occasions. I'm not sure why yo have Psybolt ammunition on the LRR since it has no 'bolt' weapons unless you buy a storm bolter, and that hardly justifies spending the points. I also have never bought Psyflame ammuntion as I've never used the S6 Flamestorms and wished they had +1S. Seems like a waste of points to me. Especially when you can use the same points to give the unit of Paladins Psybolt ammuntion and that has allowed me to glance several Vindicators/Predators/Rhinos/Raiders/etc to death, which is always fun.

I would probably not take the Librarian personally. I've just found them to be lack luster. I can see the benefits of Divination and the like, but for 15 points more you could buy a Terminator squad with 2 Hammers and 3 Halberds or a Strike squad with a Razorback with an Assault cannon/lascannon (depending upon the situation) and a psycannon which gives you a 12" deep-strike denial zone and more firepower and, crucially, more bodies.

I would personally drop the large unit of Paladins. Sure they're fun, but they cost a bomb and likely won't make their points back. For their price-tag, you can buy another Psyrifle Dread, a 10 man Strike Squad with 2 Psycannons, 2 Hammers, psybolt ammuntion and a Rhino, and a 5 man terminator squad with a psycannon. Then you've got a bit more anti-armour with another psyrifle dread, more bodies and a unit you can park on objectives and deny deep strike within 12" and lay down 16 S5 shots + 8 S7 Rending to hold an objective.

That was just a suggestion, but the point is you need more bodies and with the list you have got here you won't really be able to hold objectives that well. You will be forced to go for all out annihilation or the fact that you have very few models and not that many shots will become very noticeable very soon.

I hope that is helpful. I realise I've rambled on quite a bit, but hopefully it's made sense and (I'm sure others will point this out if it is) I hope it's not bollocks.

Good luck with the tournament by they way :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tend to ignore objectives and just bum rush anyway, but you've definitely got me considering dropping the Libby, the psyammo on the LRR was for the assault cannon, but I never actually checked the codex... oops. Another 200+ points is more bodies, that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Well, yeah I forgot that the assault cannon does get psybolt benefits, but again I've never found it to be worth while. If you want something to put psybolts on, take a Storm Raven, Hurricane bolter, Twin-linked Assault cannon and Twin-linked Heavy Bolter. It's about the same points as a LRR, harder to hit, immune to Melta and had more options. Plus, it gives 6 S5 shots, 4 S7 Rending and 3 S6, all twin linked, plus the 4 missiles

Now that's an anti-hoard/light vehicle killer if ever I saw one. Plus, apart from the missile launcher, exchanging the Heavy bolter and Assault cannon for higher AP weapons (Multi-melta, Plasma-cannon, Lascannon) is totally free so your Low AP, high shot vehicle just became a high AP/tank hunter.

All that versatility plus the fact that you need 6's to hit it and then it gets 4+ jink save, plus it can't be hit by those pesky Demolisher cannons/other blast weapons and melta's don't get an additional D6 to penetrate. And it has the same transport capacity as a LRR.

This is why we love the 'Raven

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you got my head spinnin about going cheaper, more units, and I came up with this:

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor w/ Daemon Hammer 40
5x GK Terminators, Daemon Hammers 200
Land Raider Redeemer 245

GK Strike Squad x 10, 3 Halberds, 2 Psycannons, Rhino 280
Gk Strike Squad x 10, 3 Halberds, 2 Psycannons, Rhino 280

GK Terminators x 10, Halberds, 2 Psycannons, Brotherhood Banner, Psybolt Ammo 495

Dreadnought, 2 TL Auto-cannons, Psybolt Ammo 135

DreadKnight, Heavy Incinerator, Great Sword 185

Inquisitor jumps in with the terminators in the raider, flanked by the rhinos, dreadnought in the rear, DK and 10 man termies DS in. I tend to ignore my objectives, and lose one match in three, normally the kill points match (ironically). I'm probably going to be giving up my warlord point with this list, but I like it. I'd run another Dreadnought, but I haven't got one, and shipping to here on the autocannon arms from ebay (I'm too cheap for FW direct) can take up to 8 weeks, and I want to run WYSIWYG full painted.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hmmm Your list might not do great in a tournament. but luck can favour the bold

1850 choice are bad

take out libby and put in a ordo mal. inquisitor with armour and deamon sword or choose coteaz. Then take land raider out you already chose your high point models. Put in 3 razorback and 3 squads of henchmen 6 each. if you take coteaz you will be able to take objectives. use a combo of DCA and Crusaders put heavy bolter on razor back with pysbolts. this will offset any notions of model count as well as a deadly unit

take out MC psycannon as you already have devination default power. Dont forget to roll the power in the inquisitor movement phase.

i see another list but its a waste first if your taking halberds, then take purifiers dont waste halberds on 1 attack models its not only bad GK commanding its down right wrong in all manners no offense. Also Strike squads dont need rhinos they can DS in our move faster without them. sorry the second list just does not cut it. why would you give the inquisitor a deamon hammer. a deamon sword would benefit the 3 wd t3 int 4 guy.

In the end its your list and choice. good luck but in my opinion your not using the GK as a deadly force your hoping your opponent does not go for objectives and out shoots you. Oh where are your skulls to improve your DS, they are 3 points each.

Deus has a point with the SR but id take the TL melta instead. Machine spirit is still affective and you can take out any opponent vehicle now.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
A common conversion for TLAC on dreadnoughts is to use the quad gun from an Aegis.

I'm not sold on the Knight because it's short range on a foot slogging unit. The Teleporter is costly; I'd rather see the 2nd 'nought, but you've already addressed that issue.

·
Registered
396 Posts
A common conversion for TLAC on dreadnoughts is to use the quad gun from an Aegis.

I'm not sold on the Knight because it's short range on a foot slogging unit. The Teleporter is costly; I'd rather see the 2nd 'nought, but you've already addressed that issue.
you do realize the DK has a 0-18 inch range depending on how you put your template. i suggest you re read the rules on the heavy incinerator. Its a deadly unit and does not need a teleporter just a good commander who knows where to deploy the unit. its a dangerous unit that everyone in the circuit hates. with or without a sword. causes fear & can get up to 5 attacks, has hammer of wrath, is monsterous creature, oh yeah did i forget to mention its fist cause instant death x2.(if your not sure how look it up) This is one unit you dont really sleep on. it doesnt need a teleporter. it DS and says Deal with me before i mash you down. The unit is always in my list and is usually one of the last units on the table or has at least 15 to 20 shots poured into it before it dies.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My list as of now:

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor w/ Terminator Armor and Psycannon

5 Terminators Daemon Hammers, Psycannon, Psybolt

Landraider Redeemer w/ Psyflame Ammo

10 Terminators, Halberds, 2 Psycannon, Psybolt, Brotherhood Banner (Deep Striking)

10 Purifiers, 5 Halberds, 4 Psycannons, Rhino

Psyrifleman Dread

I don't have my list with me, but I think that's everything for 1850. I've got a few other ideas, so I'm not firm yet.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My list as of now:

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor w/ Terminator Armor and Psycannon

5 Terminators Daemon Hammers, Psycannon, Psybolt

Landraider Redeemer w/ Psyflame Ammo

10 Terminators, Halberds, 2 Psycannon, Psybolt, Brotherhood Banner (Deep Striking)

Psyrifleman Dread

I don't have my list with me, but I think that's everything for 1850. I've got a few other ideas, so I'm not firm yet.
Terminators aren't very good, if you want to be able to compete, sadly you pretty much need to bring GKSS.

As it stands, you have 15 scoring models. Even if they do have a 2+ save, they're going to die, and then you're pretty much forced to go for the tabling, which I don't think you'll be able to do with only 20 purifiers. Also, you have zero ability to deal with aircraft outside of mass psycannon shots, and you haven't brought enough guns to do that. Two Heldrakes+Obliterators basically wipes out your army.

Out of interest, are you playing this list due to availability of models, or for fluff reasons? I'm trying to figure out what we have to work with.

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor w/ Daemon Hammer 40
5x GK Terminators, Daemon Hammers 200
Land Raider Redeemer 245

GK Strike Squad x 10, 3 Halberds, 2 Psycannons, Rhino 280
Gk Strike Squad x 10, 3 Halberds, 2 Psycannons, Rhino 280

GK Terminators x 10, Halberds, 2 Psycannons, Brotherhood Banner, Psybolt Ammo 495

Dreadnought, 2 TL Auto-cannons, Psybolt Ammo 135

DreadKnight, Heavy Incinerator, Great Sword 185
BTW, I think this list is better than your current one as it brings more scoring. I'd be inclined to take this list, drop the halberd on the GKSS, drop the terminators for Purifiers and hopefully more GKSS, and maybe drop the LR for a Stormraven (assuming you have one that is ready for the tourney). This doesn't really make you able to deal with aircraft, but it does make it somewhat easier; you just have to make sure you get into their rear arcs. and go pew pew.

I'd also look to get points to turn the Great Sword on your Dreadknight into a Teleporter.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tested the list last night against Dark Angels, and won but only by the skin of my teeth. I'm leaning back towards Strike Squads, changing the rhinos to Razorbacks with Assault Cannons and Psyammo, and dropping some psyammo from the termies to make the inquisitor a psyker.

In terms of models I have (roughly)

Marines -Halberds x 10, Psycannons x6, Incinerators x3, Swords x~8

Terminators DH x 5, Halberds x ~12 unbuilt x 8, Psycannons (loose bits) x 6,

~9 Psykers,

'Mordrak/Inq w/ Daemon Hammer', 3x terminators w/ sword and skull heads (ghost knights),

Apothacary w/ warding stave,

Libby w/ Stave, Crowe, Draigo, magnetized carapace armor inquisitor

Vindicare Assasin,

Storm Raven w/ multi melta, lascannons, sponsons,

Dreadknight w/ incinerator, psycannon, sword

Psydread (autocannon dread)

Landraider Redeemer

3 Heavy Bolter Razor backs, chimera

2 Rhinos

I also have some blood angels stuff, 40 assault marines, 10 death co., 2 Vindicators, 2 Baal Preds, 2 TAc Squads, couple of libbys, sang priests, a reclusiarch, Dante and 10 Sang Guard.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only flyers in my meta so far are one helldrake, and a coupla storm talons, although rumour is someone just bought a necron flyer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
servo skulls help you ds with 1d6 within 12" you cant place them in your opponent deployment zone but everywhere else is fair game. they also stop scouting moves up to 12" of them as well as infiltrators

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Turing now to Page 62 of the Codex we see that Psyflame does in fact benefit the Flamestorm Cannon.

Read before you write guys, it will save a heap of confusion.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I tested the list last night against Dark Angels, and won but only by the skin of my teeth. I'm leaning back towards Strike Squads, changing the rhinos to Razorbacks with Assault Cannons and Psyammo, and dropping some psyammo from the termies to make the inquisitor a psyker.

In terms of models I have (roughly)

Marines -Halberds x 10, Psycannons x6, Incinerators x3, Swords x~8

Terminators DH x 5, Halberds x ~12 unbuilt x 8, Psycannons (loose bits) x 6,

~9 Psykers,

'Mordrak/Inq w/ Daemon Hammer', 3x terminators w/ sword and skull heads (ghost knights),

Apothacary w/ warding stave,

Libby w/ Stave, Crowe, Draigo, magnetized carapace armor inquisitor

Vindicare Assasin,

Storm Raven w/ multi melta, lascannons, sponsons,

Dreadknight w/ incinerator, psycannon, sword

Psydread (autocannon dread)

Landraider Redeemer

3 Heavy Bolter Razor backs, chimera

2 Rhinos

I also have some blood angels stuff, 40 assault marines, 10 death co., 2 Vindicators, 2 Baal Preds, 2 TAc Squads, couple of libbys, sang priests, a reclusiarch, Dante and 10 Sang Guard.
How strict is your area when it comes to WYSIWIG? I know that all tournaments nominally enforce it, but in my area you can usually get away with off weapons. If you think it isn't too big of an issue, I'd consider just using the halberd guys as GKSS.

Assuming strict WYSIWIG, you could try something to the effect of:

Grand Master (just use Draigo)

10 GKSS, 2 Psycannons, Psyammo, Rhino

10 Terminators, 5 Halberds, 3 Hammers, 2 Psycannons, Psyammo

10 Purifiers, 6 Halberds, 4 Psycannons, Rhino

Psyfledread

Stormraven

Dreadknight

I have no idea if this comes to points, don't have my codex on me atm. I think you'd need to add more terminators (for more scoring) if you have the points. It's far from what I'd call top notch, but it's basically what I'd run if I had the models you presented. Grand Master is there basically to alleviate scoring issues, and in kill point missions he means you can mass scout forward to get guns in range T1. If you buy more stuff, definitely put more sword guys on the top of your list. Alternatively you can just convert your halberd guys (I'm assuming they're the old metal models?)

The only flyers in my meta so far are one helldrake, and a coupla storm talons, although rumour is someone just bought a necron flyer.
Your meta is wierd :p

Around here you need to be able to deal with 2 Heldrakes, 2 Stormravens, 5-6 Necron Aircraft, 3 Vendettas, etc, or you won't stand a chance

Just popping in to say I'm pretty sure that flamestorm cannons do not get the bonus from psyflame ammo.
I can't remember either way, but the jump from S6 to S7 isn't that important anyways, might as well drop it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Would it be prudent to kitbash some plasma servitors? I'm torn between Grand Master and Inquisitor, there's no denying the benefit of Grand Strat, but the cost benefit of an inquisitor is equally undeniable.

That list is actually 22 points over if I assume a DK with Incinerator and TP, and take the sponsons on the Raven. I'll work on something today.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How about this:

Inquisitor, Terminator Armor, Daemon Hammer, Psycannon 80
10 Terminators, 3 Daemon Hammers, 2 Psycannons, 7 Halberds 450
10 Terminators, 2 Daemon Hammers, 2 Psycannons, 8 Halberds 450
10 GKSS, 8 Halberds, 2 Psycannons 260
Storm Raven, TL MultiMelta, TL Lascannon, Hurricane Bolters, Psyammo 240
Landraider Redeemer 245
Dreadnought, dual TL Autocannons, Psyammo 135