Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stardragon is a beast, and i really wanna field him at some point, but i come undone when it comes to deciding what to arm my prince with. My intial thought is null stone because the dragon could then totally own pretty much anything so hopefully between him and the prince they could kill any threat. However that would leave him vulnerable should something like a cannonball or boltthrower come his way.

Starlance and vambraces of defense are another option?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Personally I say to save dragons until 3000 pts or more. Because in a smaller battle a dragon is so huge that it will draw a lot of fire and not last for too long, but in a slightly larger game the best thing to do is use a dragon and leave it barebones for upgrades and max out other units that way the dragon can d a decent amount of damage, but will also draw fire so that your pimped out units will be able to attack without the worry of excessive fire raining down on them.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
With High Elves, it's a little different. The Star Dragon is a bit more like most other armies' "general's dragon" for lack of a better description-- something only the highest variety of lord can take. I might leave the Star Dragon at home for 2000-2250-ish games. I could see a Sun Dragon or a Moon Dragon, though, as they're significantly less expensive but they're still dragons.

The Star Lance and Vambraces of Defense are an excellent combination, by the way. The null stone is excellent, but it's your entire allotment of magic items, so it's hard to say if that's the best place to put it. If you had another prince that you put on a great eagle, that might be a better place for the null stone.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
with a prince on eagle the prince would have to be capable of taking down whoever he faced or be killed or have the eagle killed from under him. With a dragon rider the dragon will do the damage....in theory. plus landing him infront of your opps fav unit and toasting them, whilst stopping any spellcasters who may be sitting in the unit, thinking there general is going to protect them could be a good one as well?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
leave him untill 3000pts and aarm him with tarlance and vambraces of defense are another option

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
leave him untill 3000pts and aarm him with tarlance and vambraces of defense

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
i fought against a dragon lord yesterday armed with sword of might, armour of protection and talisman of protection and he was a total beast even after i killed his dragon,

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was looking at the dragon mage today and i have to try out this combo

Silverwand, powerstone, powerstone.

now he generates his normal 2 dice, and has 3 spells. he also adds one dice to every spell he casts AND has the 2 dice from the army to play with. SO u can cast 3 spells a turn with him and get and extra 3 powerdice[more than another wizard would give] Plus u have the powerstones to play with.
so using one power stone in a turn you can get
2d[powerstone]+1Reckless
2d[own dice]+1d reckless
2d[army dice]+1d reckless
so 3 spells with 3 dice in one turn.....without taking into account if you reassly wanna you could do a 6 dice spell.....ouch

The worry is that he miscasts at a crucial time but heh until he does.....Burn baby burn

·
Registered
232 Posts
I love it! Maybe it's not something to use every game - the next time you play the same opponent, give him a ward save instead to handle all the extra attention he will receive.
It's a great way to keep them guessing though.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i used the dragonmage like this last week and although the mage died to a stray giant bow shot from atop a stegadon the dragon went crazy and proved very hard for my opp to deal with.

That was at 1250pts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have you thought about giving the Dragon Mage the Ring of Corin?
Getting rid of a character's ward save, mighty weapon or armor could make him easy meat.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i would say u'd be better getting someone else to do the Ring of corin for him so he can take other goodies,

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
When i have field a stardragon it has actied as a one man army it crushed a flank by its self. terrior is the key.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
i think the ring of corin is great had it used on me the other day. "what magic items do you have in your tyrants unit ?" none of your business my rune maw is redirecting it and my gnoblars dont have any">much to my own personal amusement still got battered by the stupid elf rules though

·
Registered
445 Posts
The dragon mage works well with the ring of fury and silver wand. Another combo is the guardian phoenix and silver wand.

As for star dragons, the star lance is bit expensive. At S7 you get rid of most armour saves. Personally I would go for something else but it's your choice.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just noticed in the main rulebook, on page 120 it says, "No specific magic item can be carried by more than one model in an army... Scrolls are an exception to this - several scrolls of the same type can be carried by the same Wizard or by different Wizards if you wish."

Sounds like we can only take one powerstone for each Mage, doesn't it?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just noticed in the main rulebook, on page 120 it says, "No specific magic item can be carried by more than one model in an army... Scrolls are an exception to this - several scrolls of the same type can be carried by the same Wizard or by different Wizards if you wish."

Sounds like we can only take one powerstone for each Mage, doesn't it?
No it doesn't. It's on page 122 and the following section on power stones sates that are "not unique items" "in a similar way to scrolls".

Most importantly, it says that it is possible "for a Wizard to carry more than one".

Therefore your statement is incorrect.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts