Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the entry for the Dragon Mage, it says that he can purchase Dragon Armor. However, unlike Chaos Armor, there's nothing in the mage's entry or the entry for dragon armor that states that a mage can cast wearing the armor.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Might wanna check p. 500 of the rulebook, the section on 'Magical Interference'.

Yes, the Dragon Mage can cast spells whilst wearing Dragon Armour (since it is listed in his specific entry), and is even allowed to purchase an (additional) item of magical armour from the magic items. I'd even recommend that ... a Charmed Shield goes a long way on a character riding a monster mount.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
The rule that said armour means no magic is long gone. Magical Interference as a rule to stop mages wearing armour only exists for strigoi vampires... on 99% of the other mages they can't wear armour because they don't have the option to (for fluff this is because of magical interference but not in the rules).

Any mage given the option to buy mundane armour is allowed to use it and cast spells and can upgrade to any of the magical armours from his book and probably the BRB too. Mostly this only allows armour for WoC players but an accepted mistake also gives this access to butchers and slaughtermasters (though when the army book writer asks you not to use this its a bit gamy to do it)... the dragon mage joins the small list of mages that can wear armour and that's no bad thing: it was a bit silly having a T3 2W mage with a 6+ save sitting on a monster that has almost no option but to get into combat...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet! Thanks guys. It's been a while since I've played Fantasy (mostly since the changes to the core rules made my Elves really horribly off), but seeing the new codex has me rethinking it. While I'm still not really a fan of the current Flaming Sword, this increases my options a bit, I think.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Flaming sword is evil now for HE: assuming the sun dragon is unchanged it turns the dragon into a killer but its also excellent at changing S3 elves into a unit that'll be wounding anything on a 5+ and most infantry on a 3+ or 4+... that's pretty huge.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
The Lore of Fire is one of the most powerful utility lores in the book. Sure it lacks the nukes and major debuffs of Death or Shadow, or buffs of Light or Life, but you get Battlefield control with Flame Cage, and Flaming Sword, Fireball can take out them pesky kids/fast cavalry/chargers, Flaming Sword increases the damage output of a Dragon against hordes.

The other spells are direct damage, but for the most part, Flame Cage, and Flaming Sword win the lore.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm. Food for thought. Makes me think about running my Dragon mages again... actually threw out a rather silly army list earlier centered around one.

Thanks for the input guys. I'd rake recommendations on how to outfit a Dragon mage, but this isn't the forum for it.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question:

if I slap a Dragon Mage with the Armor of Caledor, does he get a 1+ save? RAW I suppose not, since 'by any means' would include the +1 for being mounted, right? That just seems a little weird.....

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yup, Armour of Caledor is 'stuck' at a 2+ save and the wearer would not benefit from another +1 from riding a mount.

Actually, Armour of Caledor is horribly overpriced for what it does (compared to other items) and is wasted on a Dragon Mage.
Run the Dragon Mage with Dragon Armour plus your choice of Enchanted Shield or Charmed Shield (depending on how many cannons there might be in your local meta). Maybe add a Dawnstone as well.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, Armour of Caledor is 'stuck' at a 2+ save and the wearer would not benefit from another +1 from riding a mount.

Actually, Armour of Caledor is horribly overpriced for what it does (compared to other items) and is wasted on a Dragon Mage.
Run the Dragon Mage with Dragon Armour plus your choice of Enchanted Shield or Charmed Shield (depending on how many cannons there might be in your local meta). Maybe add a Dawnstone as well.
That's actually exactly the idea I was aiming for once I realized that, and my primary opponent will probably be Dwarves... so most likely Dragon Armor, Charmed Shield and Dawnstone. It's a pity the elves don't get the Silver Wand anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts