Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much as I hate to inflict another intra-chaos ragefest on the Heresy Online community I'm getting really sick & tired of certain people badgering anyone playing Chaos Marines into taking the Holy Quartet (Plagues, Zerks, Lash Princes and Oblits) or being threatend with losing every game.

Now I don't see this as that unique to Chaos Marines, we just happen to see it more with that army. But seriously, so what if peole don't want to be powergamers, so what if they take units that aren't uber-rated.

Yes they might lose, but they might lose with the uber-rated anyway, so long as you enjoy yourself what does it matter how the game ends up?

Anyway rant over, what are people's thoughts?

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
great point. I never run the holy quartet, i always play with lots of berzerkers and kharn and some terminators, no oblits, no plague marines, but i do like to use the lash prince as my khorne prince with a blood whip (that's my excuse)

·
Halloween Town
477 Posts
It must be quite boring too look at and play!
"what ya running today"
"oh double DP 21 PM's and 9 oblits"
"again sounds like fun"
I don't know about everyone else but I get half of my enjoyment out of sselecting my army and rarely do I run the same list twice!
I love dreads (forgeworld ones mainly) but people are like don't run them they may act chaotic? isn't that the point of the army?
i know its fantasy but I remeber in the old games 12 years ago you rolled for each unit to see what the winds of chaos would do to the unit! Now thats chaos!
So gist is yes there are other units out there esp dreads!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Lash princes are not good. Just so you know.

If people ask for advice on how to make their list the best possible, the best possible answers will be given.

Nurgle wings warptime princes, plague marines and obliterators.
Alternatively, Tzeentch warptime winds of chaos wings princes.

And nobody is forcing you into those builds. I have seen a guy run his Word Bearers quite effectively, because he is a good player. The thing is, he won't stand a chance against a player with a better list that plays on the same level.

You could go with a list with max chosen, max havocs, a chaos lord and 3 min plague marine squads, all in rhinoes with max melta's and some havoc launchers for good measure. It could work, but it's unusual.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The lists and units mean nothing if you are not a good general. Lash Princes, Plague Marines, Obliterators, and Bezerkers mean nothing if you don't know what to do with them.

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Yeah I have seen people post lists, and other players will literally just change their whole army to 3 units of PM's to melta one plas, 9 oblits and some variation of duel princes. Welcome to the lame. But your right, I have seen people do the same thing with space marines, IG, etc.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I never used oblits and i did fine. I found that standered CSM backed by termis and havocs plus a deflier is just plain lethal when used right. Never liked lash and the plauge marine modles arnt my fav. Hell i even used raptors once to tie up a big unit of orks and they did it well. I dont play what wins i play what i want to play.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is the reason I haven't posted an army list in the short time I've been here. I'm trying to build a pure Alpha Legion army. I like fluff and I like fluff to play a role in my games so I'm not taking anything with the mark of a specific god. However any time I've mentioned my list to someone, even when I tell them this. I get suggested the same couple of things that don't work with what I'm trying to do.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Dan, you saw my idea of the meltaspam chosen and havocs? Can also be done with regular marines in the rhinoes ;)

People will generally, as far as my experience goes, give you an optimalized list based on your theme. People wanting to play Thousand Sons have, again - as far as my experience goes, gotten an optimized Thousand Sons list.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
(Plagues, Zerks, Lash Princes and Oblits)
Plague Marines - Don't have any, don't use. i prefre Tzeetch.
Khorne Beserkers - Don't have any yet. i will get some but mainly becuas ei like them and Want a Juggernaut Lord to go with them.
Lash Prince - Never use them. I eaither use a normal Warp Time Prince or a dakka prince with Bolt and Doombolt/Wind of Chaos.
Obliterators - Ok i do have them and use them but agian becuase i like them not becuase they are bad ass (tho they are)

I tend not to go for the power gamer style stuff. and remeber what happened to all the Tyranid power games pre-new codex. they all spamed Carnifexs....now they are spamming Zoanthropes which where before called rubbish and now the Fexs are rubbish. You try to power game kama will get you, mark my words.

·
Registered
825 Posts
having just got into Chaos, seeing the different kinds of player.

The RARGH QUARTET types tend to be asshats

the "ooo wonder if I can use this or do that" types tend to be rather cool.

so yes, down with the quartet, all I've learned about Chaos so far is that I really don't want to play that build and be lumped in with the fucknuggets.

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
I'm trying to build a pure Alpha Legion army. I like fluff and I like fluff to play a role in my games so I'm not taking anything with the mark of a specific god.
Might I humbly suggest my Black Legion list compendium (linked in my sig) as a possible source of inspiration, then? I go for fluff over min-maxing every time. A lot of the lists do use Marks, but there are no monotheist lists and several totally un-Marked ones...

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I know the feeling. The amount of eldar players who are advised to take eldrad annoys me (I saw one such suggestion where the OP had made it clear he wanted an alaitoc army)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Can't really argue with the Plagues/Zerkers, they are just concentrated win.

Lash Princes are meh unless you have a metric fuckton of blast templates and single-shot powerguns (9 oblits). I prefer to go Kharn/Warptime+nurgle DP, Kharn/Typhus, or double Warptime DPs, depending on the point level.

Oblits are the uncontested masters of the HS slot in terms of pure killsplosionsfaceroll, but i personally don't like them. I'd much rather go with Defilers/LR, which gives Kharn a sweet ride and draws fire away from my Rhinos/DPs.
I always go with the Slaughterfiend (4xDCCW) loadout on my defilers, so they trash in CC. Great for picking off vehicles/walkers and weaker ICs/MCs with a minimum of risk. They also make the Doom of Mal'antai a sad panda.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If someone posts a list and ask advice and uses the word competitive and it doesn't include the Holy Quartet (HQ), I will politely direct them to the HQ. I, personally, prefer Vindicators in 2 of those 3 heavy slots, with Oblits in the other, but that is my personal preference. If they ask for fluff, then I almost never suggest the HQ unless it fits the fluff with which they are working.

I dislike the broad generalization of HQ players as anything other than merely players that like to win and/or play games at the highest level. I have found people that complain too vocally about HQ lists to be closed-minded scrubs in most cases, but I wouldn't call someone out as being such, nor generalize even 'almost' everyone that does as being in that category, just because it has been my experience. Please be courteous of those of us that like to play games competitively for most of us aren't assholes. We may insist on the rules being followed and we may like min-maxing the game, but there is nothing wrong with it. If there was, the rules wouldn't be the rules. There are many aspects to any game and, just because you don't like one or more aspects doesn't mean that others don't and that they aren't also perfectly legitimate ways to play the game.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Spacecowboy

I'm not saying people aren't entitled to play competitively or that they can't go with the Holy Quartet just because it seems cheesy. After all if it works, it works.

What I'm complaining about is the way some Chaos Marine players and I'm not naming anyone particularly, push this build down the throats of other players and rubbish any list that features units other than the quartet, whether it's intended to be competitive or not.

Personally I make a lot of use of lash sorcerers and Plague Marines, whilst most of my competitive lists feature 4 to 6 Obliterators.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
the Holy-Q (stop calling it HQ, it's getting confusing)is not just for Chaos as well. Tho by diffrent name each army has the "must haves" in each army. Ever Tau army i have ever seen has atleast 1 Railgun Hammerhead and a few Battlesuits. I love using the things that people don't normaly use, that can often be seen in my army lists with all of them armys(not so much Tyranids)
Eldar - I use a Footdar army without the Avatar and a few Spiders too. I'm thinking of messing with it to get my Swooping Hawks in.
Space Marines - Normaly a bit rag tag they often use a fair few Drop Pods and the 1000pts force just scremes spam of pods, i doupt i will get to 1500pts becuase of the amount of pods i need and that i hate painting and sticking them together (give me any other tank to paint, they are boring and complitcated to paint)
Blood Angels - ATM they use a Landraider list as i love to use them as it make for fun games and the "oh crap" faces are classic. soon i want to use a Dantewing or simular type list as i have always loved the modals but the cost!!!!
Tyranids - Possibly my smallest army (Guard are smaller but only for the time). I use as many Monsters as possible and love the Tervigons. i also love Zoanthropes even before the latest codex.
Chaos Marines - I use a combo of Undevided, Tzeetch and Khrone forces. I love my thousand Sons so much i even converted a special Rhino just for them. I'm also converting my own Juggernaut Lord (only the legs and bace now needed)
Guard - Tho i only just started them i have about 30 Guardsmen, 3 heavy weapons, Command squad, Commissar and Sentiel and some of them have been converted to hold Meltaguns for my Vet squad. I'll be getting a Medusa soon (how many people use those then???) and i hope to get Ogyrns at a latter time and date.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts