Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I say this from the point of view of someone who visits my local GW store and sees some Tau armies but never sees kroot. Is there something wrong with them? I like the idea of kroot a lot cause they are one of the races that adds flavour to the 40k galaxy which is full of aliens and some will work together, like the Interex from the HH novels. Do they work at all in synergy with Tau or is this the reason why "I" don't see them that often.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think one reason is that they're too expensive for what they do. With most Tau going full on gun-line why would you need to invest in Kroot if you can just use the points to blast more enemies into oblivion?

I like the idea of Kroot too, for much the same reason. They add some nice flavor to 40k, with their genetic advancement tied into their diet being really interesting to me.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I use Kroot in every Tau army I create. For one very good reason. Contesting rear area objectives. With outflank, they are useful in late turns if you can manage to delay them shoing up to grab rear area objectives from weak holding units. Also, they are cheap snipers, and their weapons are pulse based for ethereal increases.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Good Tau players make excellent use of Kroot. A whole unit of 4+ snipers arriving in rapid fire range, a Relentless Autocannon and an Outflanking objective holder are all very nice things to have available for not *that* much of a points premium.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Because 6th edition is the shooty edition. Who shoots well? Fire Warriors. Who shoots okay but takes up the same slot as Fire Warriors? Kroot.

The current Tau meta is spam the crap out of markerlights, murder the troops with Fire Warriors, murder tanks with Broadsides. Kroot don't have as much of a place as they used to, sadly.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
In terms of firepower, Kroot are actually on par with Fire Warriors point for point (a Fire Warrior is tougher and has a situationally better gun, but costs a lot more per model). If you play with forests then they're also more survivable. Because you bought them Sniper ammo then a squad of them is putting out 2 or more precision shots every shooting phase, and while their guns aren't *that* impressive, eventually it adds up and you'll find yourself dropping guys with Grav guns, Multimeltas etc quite often. They're also better versus T6+ and can reach places that Fire Warriors really can't.

Oh, and they still perform every job that they used to do at the same time - namely roadblocks and assault shields.

So I don't really see how they've gotten worse. They're worse in combat, but they were awful at combat last edition too, so no change there.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
So I don't really see how they've gotten worse. They're worse in combat, but they were awful at combat last edition too, so no change there.
That's a real pity as it's not like there is anything else in the Tau dex that is good at CC! Fluffwise they are pretty bloody (deliberate choice of words there) nasty in CC as well. Something about their bone structure allowing them to hit incredibly fast and hard.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
That's a real pity as it's not like there is anything else in the Tau dex that is good at CC! Fluffwise they are pretty bloody (deliberate choice of words there) nasty in CC as well. Something about their bone structure allowing them to hit incredibly fast and hard.
But let's face it, a 12-year-old girl has an incredibly powerful muscular and skeletal structure from a Tau perspective.

Midnight

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I seem to recall it was written from an Imperial Guardsmen's perspective (Kage to be exact, not exactly a 12 year old girl). It was from Kill Team by Gav Thorpe.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Kroot are a great addition to a Tau army. To add what was already stated. They work great for counter assault and also they operate decently outside of the 6" support fire bubble. The most competitive lists tend to run two min squads. Sniper rounds are ok option not a requirement.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I'm a few years away from it, but i've always been keen to do a kroot based 'tribal' force.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I think most tau players just don't consider taking kroot and prefer to have a pure tau force. I would love it if I was able to take an entire kroot army.

I like kroot as well as allies for my ork armies the sniper ammo with them is great.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
It's a pity the Kroot Merc list is no longer valid and that the Tau dex doesn't give you the options for a Kroot HQ as even though it lacks Elites/FA/HS choices for them you can use FW for some of those. Without that vital HQ running a proper Kroot Merc allies force is out of question. Not even a special character GW? Really?

·
Registered
807 Posts
The current Tau meta is spam the crap out of markerlights, murder the troops with Fire Warriors, murder tanks with Broadsides. Kroot don't have as much of a place as they used to, sadly.
If that is your local Tau Meta, I would love to play where you live. In my area the Tau Meta is spam Riptides and Support Commanders (that is Commanders that have 4 support systems and no guns) then sit back and blow everything up with S9 AP2 large blasts that Ignore Cover.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, in my store they try and fit as many riptides in as they can, one kid has three riptides including the most recent forgeworld version.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts