Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading this thread, I started to wonder: does anyone really love 5th ed., or is everyone just trying to survive until 6th ed.?

Not too many people seem to absolutely hate 5th ed., a lot of people think it's kind of ok, almost nobody seems to really 'love' 5th ed. like some people did 3rd ed.

I, personally, find myself in survival mode until GW get a more unified approach to 40k and quite like 5th ed. but see so much room for improvement.

Who loves 5th ed.?

·
Registered
736 Posts
i'm not sure i ever met a person who 'loved' 3rd ed (though i know a number who look back through rose tinted glasses at 2nd ed with fondness). from my experience 5th ed has been easily the most popular and agreeable edition of the game to date. the core game is certainly not without fault, but there seems to me to be a consensus that it is much quicker, simpler and more fun than previous editions.

it is, of course, let down by the rolling codex system, which has been a thorn in the side of the game since it started in 3rd. there are benefits to the rolling system (mainly no one is absolutely without a codex at any point) but the changes in design philosophy and lack of interest in updating some codexes seems to negate such benefits pretty quickly.

·
4,491 Posts
Im happy with it.

There are a few things that are stupid (some cover save logic, wound allocation disrupting the flow of the game, etc), but in general i think its reasonable. It will never be perfect, but its reasonable enough as it is.
I wouldn't really care if GW released a 6th edition or just left it in 5th ed.

Just play the game and live with the rules.
If you dont like them, then play a different game.
Complaining about it on a forum (or to GW even) is going to achieve a whole lot of nothing.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with admiraldick, I think the rolling codex system is frustrating a lot of people because they can't make full use of their old armies in the new rules system. Maybe this is what stops more people loving it?
So, KoC fully agrees with my view on this, why no love? Some things are 'stupid' or go against logic, which frustrates people.

Is frustration a barrier to 'love'?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
people tent to hate rules that handy cap there army, so getting the 5th edition just after your codex was made or so your rules have all ready changed and the way you ploay them(ya i know they would ahve taken the rule's into account, this is hyperthetical).

Alot of people conplaina bout cover etc but i feel it works. I have Aspergues syndrom so a simple rules would be great. just yesterdya i was helping a kid build an Army list for his new Tyranids and taking him thoguht it step by step. Some people find the rules hard or unfair. Personaly i find them to be "realistic" and "natural" and the fact that I could learn them makes it even better as it took me months to learn LOTR but about 2-5 weeks to learn 40k thoguht playing and reading.

·
4,491 Posts
I agree with admiraldick, I think the rolling codex system is frustrating a lot of people because they can't make full use of their old armies in the new rules system. Maybe this is what stops more people loving it?
So, KoC fully agrees with my view on this, why no love? Some things are 'stupid' or go against logic, which frustrates people.

Is frustration a barrier to 'love'?
Well, i have never had the urge to stick my dick inside the rulebook, if thats what you mean.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Compared to 3rd and 4th, 5th is my favourite and I do really enjoy the game. There are a few niggles that need addressing so I would like 6th ed to be more like edition 5.5

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, i have never had the urge to stick my dick inside the rulebook, if thats what you mean.
It isn't what I mean, but thank you for being so frank with us...

What I mean is, there don't seem to be any gamers that feel passionately about 5th ed. in a positive way, people that absolutely 'love' it, it mostly just seems to be a grudging acceptance and an attitude of 'I suppose it is ok on balance but there are things in there that really piss me off', whatever those things might be. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

So far I think admiraldick's suggestion for this holds a lot of water. It almost feels like GW are missing a trick. As if they are on the edge of greatness, but something just pulls them back. Like getting to the end of a 3,000 piece puzzle and finding that 1 piece is missing: it might be a beautiful picture, and you have tried really hard to make it all fit, but in the end the frustration is a barrier to really loving it.

So frustration seems to be one aspect, are there any other obvious barriers to a passionately positive 'love' of 5th ed., rather than a grudging acceptance?

·
Registered
332 Posts
All my friends and I think it's the best edition by far. I no longer wish for the days of 2nd edition like I did through 3rd and 4th :) Once all the armies get an updated codex, there should be a lot less whining. Personally speaking, the part I'm most happy with 5th edition is that it got rid of a lot of 'gamey' rules in place of rules which just felt like they made more sense and more importantly, were more fun. 4th ed was quite a yawn fest with all its abstractions- if people really want a game like that they should play chess!

My 2 cents,

El

P.S. Just thought I'd add, 4th edition- now that was a frustrating game. Person A: "What do you mean I can't see your models, I blatantly can!" Person B: "Doesn't matter, this terrain is classified as size 1/2/3 whatever".

·
4,491 Posts
No system is going to be perfect though.

You could have a passionate long-term gamer design the rules to be absolutely perfect in their view, and 80% of other people will complain. Perfect in one persons eyes is flawed in someone elses.

The rules as they are now are perfectly reasonable.

·
Registered
332 Posts
No system is going to be perfect though.

You could have a passionate long-term gamer design the rules to be absolutely perfect in their view, and 80% of other people will complain. Perfect in one persons eyes is flawed in someone elses.

The rules as they are now are perfectly reasonable.
Quoted for truth:goodpost:

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it seems that 5th ed. is destined to be unloved? Maybe once 7th ed. comes out people will look back more fondly. People tend to remember the good things more strongly with the passage of time, in 10years time it might seem like the best edition ever. Who can say.

·
Registered
230 Posts
People who enjoy competition and tactical thought? You'll find the minority who dislike it and don't like GW producing "power armies" (read: good and balanced codecies) are quite vocal about it but those who enjoy it don't come out of the woodwork.

What's to dislike about a gaming system which encourages tactical thought and mobility?

·
4,491 Posts
So it seems that 5th ed. is destined to be unloved? Maybe once 7th ed. comes out people will look back more fondly. People tend to remember the good things more strongly with the passage of time, in 10years time it might seem like the best edition ever. Who can say.
What do you mean by unloved?
What is your definition of "love"?

Almost everyone thinks that this is the best edition so far.
What else do you want from the rules?
You want a rule that states that a female worker from GW must give you a blowjob during every game you play?
As i said before, im happy with the rulebook, but just because people aren't sticking their dicks in the rulebook and blowing their load all over the wound allocation page doesnt mean that they hate it.

Just because we dont worship the rulebook like the bible doesn't mean we hate it.

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
Person A: "What do you mean I can't see your models, I blatantly can!" Person B: "Doesn't matter, this terrain is classified as size 1/2/3 whatever".
I liked that rule as you could put models sort of on the hill and it did not matter; now balancing them where they actually are makes a difference.

And all the stepped hills we used that could be defined as different heights in different games to vary things a little are now slight bumps that give some cover but do not block LoS.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do you mean by unloved?
What is your definition of "love"?

Almost everyone thinks that this is the best edition so far.
What else do you want from the rules?
You want a rule that states that a female worker from GW must give you a blowjob during every game you play?
As i said before, im happy with the rulebook, but just because people aren't sticking their dicks in the rulebook and blowing their load all over the wound allocation page doesnt mean that they hate it.

Just because we dont worship the rulebook like the bible doesn't mean we hate it.
Dude, read what you are writing! :shok: Love is an intense feeling of affection. I know that not everyone is a literary genius, but love is a pretty simple word in everyday usage. You don't sound like someone that has ever loved, if you only think of your dick.
Just saying the rules are ok and seem to work does not express a deep feeling of affection or appreciation. Not hating something does NOT mean that you therefor love it! Please read your posts before clicking on submit.

I am not suggesting that everyone SHOULD love it, but I am just surprised that so few people actually do. I know people that love WFB, and Space Hulk. There aren't millions of them, but they really proclaim their affection for the game as a beautiful thing.

·
4,491 Posts
Dude, read what you are writing! :shok: ...
Love is an intense feeling of affection...
Just saying the rules are ok and seem to work does not express a deep feeling of affection or appreciation...
Please read your posts before clicking on submit...
If you have deep feelings of affection towards a book, i think you may need some serious help...

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
I like 5th but my issues lie for me in the 3 main rules -

1) Cover - I believe this needs more detail in it's explanation - I mean realistically I believe if I'm in a tower and your on a hill how do you gain a 5+ cover save when going to ground just because it's a terrain feature! Hills should not give cover unless your on the other side and obscured by them! Other than this point I like cover rules due to playing an army with little to no saves!

2) Run rule - Yes it makes it quicker but kills the biggest advantage of my DE(and a few other armies that had this ability before) in that we have pretty much all got fleet, yes we can assault after running but there are few good CC units in DE that can do this well - wyches and archons(without incubi) are about the only thing worth it . I just don't hate it because my main army is DE but the fact this ability used to be a game changing and tactical advantage ability now it's just like a space marine having a boltgun!

3) Scoring system - Enough said!

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I despise 5th, not as much as I despised 4th "rending" edition mind, but an edition that reduces tanks to buildings, and almost forces you to spam transports, with stupid LOS rules (why can you kill my entire squad if you can only see 1 of my men?), and how easy to abuse the LOS rules are because of how literal they are written, and many many other problems like leaving most codexes as nothing more than asswiping paper just makes it ridiculous.

gimme back 3.5, I loved 3rd, I loved 3.5 even more than that.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
i wouldn't say i 'love' 5th i like it yeh but there are some really broken rules, like only troops count as scoring units. I'm looking forward to 6th but i'm not impatient for it

1 - 20 of 60 Posts