Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fantasy Rumors
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly does anyone play it and do you have any tips im asking becuse I have been wanting to get into magic but I didn't where to start. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yep I do! Well I did for awhile, I would just read the rules and the backgrounds for the different magic colours.

Blue is very spell based with lots of control spells, ability spells like flying etc lots of large monsters at high cost. My favourite!

Red is all about power. Small costing monsters that have flash (Attack instantly) and powerups for them, very mana heavy but can be brutal and rip people to bits. My second colour.

Green is all about nature summoning HUGE beastyes with massive power and can trample (hit you and creatures same time) Plus alot of curses and such.

White. All about the goodness and spirits, angels that are badass and normal soldiers that turn into spirits when dead. strong and protective.

Black. Poisen and resurrection. Summons zombies check, summon plague zombies check. Just murdered awesome opponent monster and summon it for yourself...and its plagued? check.

Over all the colours do overlap with common cards but have alot of unique stuff to the colour. People sometime go with one colour or two. at a strectch 3 with normal size games.

Find the colours you like, go on the MTG sight have a look at the current decks since they change and they are differently styled. There is ready to play decks, event decks and such, I would get one ready deck and an event one this gives you options for different deck builds. Plus boosters are always good but If you don't collect them you should find a group and trade them off it needs be because they are likely to have cards you need and they don't want.

Invest in card sleeves. £6 for the deck aint bad and keeps the shiney shiney and shuffling alot easier and you will shuffle...lots.

Its a really fun game and themed decks like my werewolf one are lots of fun but you have to plan them well else you get wooped by even basic decks.

To start with them stick with what they give you in the deck box and keep the ratios of mana to monsters and spells since that generally works but once you know what style you play (heavy spells or heavy monsters) you can adjust and change.

If you play someone whos played longer be ready to lose the first few times to get used to your cards.

I hope this helps! Plus I have cards if you wanna buy them ;) I'm here if you wanna ask about decks and such :)

I currently play a red and green deck thats werewolf themed and a blue deck with big monsters and control spells.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Firstly does anyone play it and do you have any tips im asking becuse I have been wanting to get into magic but I didn't where to start. Thanks for any input.
I first started back in '93 when Alpha came out and played all the way up until 2 years ago when I grew exceedingly tired of the players at Friday Night Magic (the weekly tourney series) and sold off all of my MtG (Picture a Dodge Challenger with its rather large trunk stuffed with card boxes from top to bottom, same for the back seat and the front passenger seat. This required 3 trips to take them to my LGS over the course of a week.) and stsrted 40K. My first word of advice does not include the different colours but checking out your local game scene. If the players are Dicks then I wouldn't bother. MtG players, like most gamers, can be very high-handed and overtly snotty. Just a friendly word of advice from someone who was there for 18 years.

Drag Blood hit the nail on the head with describing the colours so I'm not going to go into that. However, just keep this quick run down in mind when you play an opponent;

Blue: Control, means this will throw a Monkey Wrench in your works.
Green: Mana Generation, means there are probably high cost creatures to hurt you.
Black: Necro, they will pull cards from their graveyard and yours.
White: Low cost creatures to nickel & dime you death, also called white weenie.
Red: Damage out put and sometimes for a low cost.

For an entry point, I would wait until the new Core Set debutes next month which will be called Magic 2014. I advise this because Magic rotates sets out of the Type 2 envrionment that nearly all tourney are. You don't want to needlessly buy cards only to have them cycle out on you.

Sign up at either Wizards site or another MtG site that goes over Deck Tech and discusses the current Meta to aid you in your deck building once you've figured out what you want to play. These site update almost every week day and are a great source of info.

Above everything else, make sure to have fun and enjoy yourself.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Like these guys I played years ago. I was never a part of the local MtG scene for exactly the stated reasons, the local players were pretty abrasive.

If you do play I have 2 pieces is advice:
1) keep your deck just larger than minimum size. The smaller it is the better a chance you get the card combos you want. But you don't want to be vulnerable to running out of cards and forfeiting.
2) test your new decks by playing against an imaginary opponent, taking 3 damage every turn (7 turns) or 1,2,3,4,5,6 damage equal to the turn number (6 turns), or even faster. If your can kill an opponent in that time you'll might have a good deck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also, go up to whoever you want to play and ask them 'Oh hey, what do you tap land for again?'

If he/she says 'Man-uh' You're fine.

If he/she says 'Mon-uh' ...Leave...

lol

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
I started playing with Revised...I think the latest set that was out when I quit was...Ice Age? No, Portal, I think...yeah, Portal, ugh. Dumbed the whole thing down to try and get a broader appeal once the initial CCG trend had died off

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I started playing with Revised...I think the latest set that was out when I quit was...Ice Age? No, Portal, I think...yeah, Portal, ugh. Dumbed the whole thing down to try and get a broader appeal once the initial CCG trend had died off
Lol, you weren't really all that in the know back then were you? You are right, Portal were a dumbed down version of M:tG but not for the reason you think. Portal was a beginners set. It was made to make learning Magic easier as it had (and still have) quite a steep learning curve.

More fun trivia: Portal, and the various other beginner sets after it, were not legal for sanctioned play for a very long time. Only a couple of years ago (5 or so I reckon) did Wizards eventually make them legal for the Eternal formats.
So apparently you missed out on quite a bit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Played from Dark to Urza and then again a few times since. Find your flgs and ask him to teach you or if he knows someone who can teach you.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Lol, you weren't really all that in the know back then were you? You are right, Portal were a dumbed down version of M:tG but not for the reason you think. Portal was a beginners set. It was made to make learning Magic easier as it had (and still have) quite a steep learning curve.
What makes you say I wasn't in the know back then?
My father owned a game store, I played Magic pretty much constantly between Revised and Portal. Arabian Knights, The Dark, Fallen Empires, Ice Age, you name it, I'd had cards from it, beaten decks from it, etc.

Fuck, man, I still know how Banding works. Most people didn't get Banding back when it actually existed. I was the first person I knew to pair the Lord of the Pit with a Thrull Breeding Pit back when Fallen Empires came out. I used to just stack it, two tapped black mana and the LotP together in one place and forget about it.

It just took me a moment to remember what was the last version I played before quitting because it's been something like fifteen years.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'm currently playing. What sort of advice are you looking for?

In terms of collecting: Always be on the lookout of Land cards that produce two different colours of mana (referred to as dual lands, or duals). Ravnica (or RTR) Shocklands, Core set duals are your first port of call in this Standard environment.

Also, never take your deck above the minimum number of cards allowed. In constructed, this means you shouldn't have anything other than 60 cards in a deck. Every card you add on top of this makes it harder to draw what you need, and hence makes your deck less efficient. The amount of games I've managed to win almost purely due to my opponent stuffing like 10 extra cards into their deck is astounding.

I would recommend Standard as a starting point, for two reasons: a) it has a lower barrier to entry than say Modern or Legacy (although one could argue that after a few years these 'Eternal' formats end up cheaper), and lately WotC has been making Standard extremely noob friendly; they've basically nerfed control decks out of the format, and there is no real combo deck. Standard at the moment is pretty much just about making creatures and attacking.

i second the leave if the players are dicks, one of my friends ran a blue green deck that would kill anyone within 4 turns, no escape. it just got boring after that
Ummm... What format were you playing? If it was anything constructed and not either Standard or Commander (although strictly speaking Commander isn't considered constructed) then a T4 win is either slow or average at best. If it was Standard, then damn, that's fast as all hell for those colours, so i doubt it was that format.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
What makes you say I wasn't in the know back then?
My father owned a game store, I played Magic pretty much constantly between Revised and Portal. Arabian Knights, The Dark, Fallen Empires, Ice Age, you name it, I'd had cards from it, beaten decks from it, etc.

Fuck, man, I still know how Banding works. Most people didn't get Banding back when it actually existed. I was the first person I knew to pair the Lord of the Pit with a Thrull Breeding Pit back when Fallen Empires came out. I used to just stack it, two tapped black mana and the LotP together in one place and forget about it.

It just took me a moment to remember what was the last version I played before quitting because it's been something like fifteen years.
Quite possibly because your comment on how the game was "dumbed down" seemed to be based on Portal's release, which in no way represented Wizards approach to the game as a whole.
So when you said you quit for this reason shortly after the release of Portal, I just naturally assumed you weren't aware of Portal's status as a beginners set.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
I didn't quit because of portal, it was just the last set that came out before I lost interest and I happened to dislike it. (though I can see how it was ambiguously worded) I know it was a beginners set, but it did have dumbed down rules and encouraged a whole wave of idiots and newbs to join in, which was pretty off-putting at the time. i quit mostly because my dad's store closed and without it there just weren't enough players to interact with, so i got into other stuff.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I used to play rather a lot especially while studying. It was entertaining and kept the mind sharp.

I quit after some time because I realised most people at a semi-competitive level bought their desired cards in singles outside of boosters... aaand I disliked how fast each block was cycled out of legal play. Granted, other formats allow for their use, but that required a large gaming group who weren't slaves to the standard.

All in all it's a great deal of fun - I just prefer reading.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts