Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having looked at a few threads here in the General 40k section, I'm wondering if there is anyone, like me and a few others, who actually likes Games Workshop, because if there are, we need to be more vocal about it.

So does anyone else actually like them?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Your joking right? lol

We bitch and moan about how their products are too expensive, how they seem to ignore their fans, how their policies confuse the hell out of us and how the rules they bring out annoy us....

... Yet, if we didn't like them. None of us would be here and we'd all be playing a different system.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have no particular problem with them - they make the models I've spend the last 16 years putting together, painting and playing with after all, and they're responsible for my main hobby, as well as the utter lack of cash that probably stopped me picking up any more illegal pursuits :p
Sure, I occasionally have issues with them - although intellectually I can see the point of the various price rises over the years, it doesnt mean I have to like it, but I just treat them the same way I treat a loved but slowly going mental grandparent who makes decisions that make no sense - sigh, shrug my shoulders and change the subject! ;)

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
I have tried to write a response three times and so far all i can come up with is "i dont know", I have conflicting interests with GW, i have to deal with them in a different way to most of you and i see and hear things that from a business to business point of view makes my blood boil, i also see price rises from the point of view of the customer and have watched changes in direction towards white dwarf and old games systems that have or or are hurting the company in my opinion.
But at the same time i think as a collector and player we have never had it so good for the two core systems and they seem genuinely interested in bringing armies up to scratch across both systems even if its a little too slow for most of us.
I think on the whole im happy enough with them but they could improve some areas.

I dont think GW can possibly be expected to "listen" to its customer base, this is an unrealistic expectation from us the the fans,customers, even the sensible ones are always goin to advise GW to do whats in the interest of the customer and unfortunately the customer is not aware of how the company is structured and financed or familiar with production,design etc etc I have worked for large companies like GW in the past and companies of that size all have one form of communication they will listen to and thats money, Loads of companies bang on about listening to its customers but for the most part its for show, they listen, ignore and do what will make them more money, sometimes customers get lucky and say something that the company likes and the company will make those changes but that will always be something that they can use to make more money.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think they get more flak than they deserve but most of it can be considered warranted. I think their latest books for 40k (specifically 40k) have been excellent write-ups and I was very impressed with the IG & SW FAQs (although I'm still wondering about T5 TWC Lords). However, recent fantasy releases and lack of BA/Tyranid FAQs may mean we are back to their old ways but we shall see ^^.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
People talk with their money, if they buy the product they at least find it acceptable.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I like them a whole lot, mainly because of the whole 40K Background they created. The Models are a close second, and seen as I'm an IG Mechie I favour FW also.

My only beef with them is that the Codexes aren't updated quick enough, and same goes for the lack of timely FAQ/Errata.

GW Business operations/dealings...I don't care enough to comment!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, clearly a question that arouses some passion, and some interesting comments.

First, thanks for responding, but as I go on, I'm going to have remnind people that Games Workshop is a business, one that's floated on the stock market, meaning their first and foremost responsibility is to the shareholders, who want to see a return on their investment.

Consequently they have to do everything they can to boost profits. This means cutting costs where possible, promoting those things that do well, such as Space Marines and Orks, as well as timing releases in such a way as to generate guaranteed sales.

At the same time they're affected by what happens in the market and other factors such as how the Government decides to manage the economy. Now much as we'd all like Games Workshop to be unsullied by the petty needs of finance, and become something that caters solely to their fans, the reality is they aren't, and aren't going to be that if they want to stay in buisness.

I'm not saying I like everything they do, particularly price rises, but they're far from the only ones having, not wanting to, not thinking it's a good idea, but having to raise prices. Tesco's and other big companies are having to do the same, and I'm sure this is true for companies around the world. It's simply a reflection of the world we live in today.

Should the government raise VAT tomorrow, and there's a good chance they will, expect Games Workshop to have to raise prices again. True they could decide against price raises, but this would eat into their profits, something guranteed to put off potential investors, and dissaude existing ones from further investing their money. Ultimately this would result in smaller profits, and less money spent on developing their armies, which would bode ill for we fans.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
We like them when we get what we want, we HATE them when we are made to wait.

The waiting I can deal with, the only thing I really dislike is Forge World. Sure the models are really nice but the price for most of them is beyond insane. I'd rather most of them just be made as blisters or plastic sets.

·
Registered
137 Posts
For the most part I like GW. I don't like dealing with most general staffers but there have been a few that were really helpful and great. As I stated in a previous thread their customer service is top notch and pretty much makes up for the high prices and the products are of the utmost quality, I really wouldn't want to be constructing and painting anything else. I understand they're a business and price rises and whatnot are inevitable but their business plan just doesn't make any sense to me. Now, I'm no businessman myself but in a climate where everyone is lowering their prices is it really good economics to be raising your own? This coupled with some of their other frustrating support issues like cutting back on games day are frustrating, but again, because the product is so good and because they've got me lock, stock, and barrel and I've basically devoted half my life to the hobby (I'm 20 and started collecting when I was 12) and loved every moment of it, I suppose that I really do like them despite some of their questionable choices.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
their business plan just doesn't make any sense to me. Now, I'm no businessman myself but in a climate where everyone is lowering their prices is it really good economics to be raising your own?
Where'd you hear this, because no one's lowering their prices this side of the pond.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I don't really like them, no, but I like 40K so I put up with their crap.
Ditto this

I like GW. Its specific employees I have issue with (Robin Cruddace is at the forefront of that list.)
Other way around for me. Company policies/business practices drive me nuts, but I consider many of the employees to be friends. Sure, there's one or two I don't care for, but all i all, I'll gladly sit down and drink a beer and gab with most of them. If only all the really good ones (in the US, at least) didn't keep leaving to go elsewhere.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Fluff, models, most of the books I love.

The company it self, and what they have doen to white dwarf and the prices NO

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't really see what's not to like imo. When it comes down to it they produce high quality products, and particularly when you consider the scale which they operate are pretty unique, there really isn't anything else like it out there as a buisness. Also, remember that as a company, up untill about 2 years ago they'd been making massive losses and were on the verge of going under.

In those circumstances i see no problem with them producing a magazine that's one long advert, or releasing new expansions that basically encourage everyone to buy more tank kits, or even that they've stopped the option where you could order individual pieces of a kit (thinking particularly boneswords for tyranids). Yeah, we all love a whinge about that dissapointing crap, but if it stops them going out of buisness then that's fine by me.

Long live the only real geek's outlet on the highstreet! :king:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Their Pricing pisses me off, I really wish it was cheaper as do we all.

BUT... without them we wouldn't have the hobby and games we enjoy so much. Personally I like what they,ve done, and I have no beef with the staff or any of their products, so as a whole... yes I like GW. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts