Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what the financial situation is at GW?

Like, are they actually losing money with the changes being made, losing subscribers to WD due to the drop in the signal to noise ratio? Are they making more money now? Are they somehow taking a hit in non-GW stores or maybe losing money in the Battle Bunkers?

I'd love to see what is going on, or what HAS gone on. Maybe that'll make some of the decisions they've made as far as development, pricing, marketing, etc make sense.

Any insiders or folks who know insiders or rumormill on this?

GW has baffled me for years.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Seems like a good news bad news situation. I would think they are likely to be affected a great deal by changes in the American economy. If our economy does well and there is a rise in expendable income among the middle class the player base here will certainly buy buy buy. I also think their MMO will do well if they can pull people away from WOW. Mythic is the developer and there is no better realm vs realm game than DAoC (in my humble opinion) and it's pretty much a given that WAR will be realm vs realm.

·
Banned
677 Posts
If done well, a 40K MMO would dominate all that is internet. Definite pull them out of this, less income=higher prices slump.

-Khaine-

·
Registered
94 Posts
read the gradian artile a few mouths ago and itll tell you whats happen ing with gw

gris

·
Registered
966 Posts
IIRC when i worked there and was one of the few ppl that bothered to read the yearly financials GW is not loosing money.

What it is not doing is making it hand over fist as they did for the 4 years of LotR. Thier pre-tax porfits where up to 10-15 million! They made FUCK loads of cash on frodo and his mates to put it blunty.

But all good things must come to an end and thats what happened when the films vanished off the horizon. No longer was little johnny seeing the film and wanting his own balrog, troll, fellowship etc etc. Now little johnny is more interested in Pirates of the Carrabien, Spider man, or what ever big film is currently doing the rounds.

The backlash of all this was GW got all that money and the investors where very happy, investors like money. What they don't like is when the companies profits fall back down to pre LotR levels. Which is what has happened. And unfortunatly you need to keep investors happy, hence price rises and more aggressive marketing (agressive for GW that is).

Cause unfortunaly if your investors feel thier X million could make them more money else where, they will take it elsewhere.

SO GW is making money, BUT is it making enough to keep the City happy?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I like the 'our sales went up in October, more in November and December- we'll take this as a permanent growing trend' double-speak to the shareholders.

There's this little thing called 'Christmas' that may skew the results a bit Mr Kirby, :wink: .

·
Registered
966 Posts
Jeridian said:
I like the 'our sales went up in October, more in November and December- we'll take this as a permanent growing trend' double-speak to the shareholders.

There's this little thing called 'Christmas' that may skew the results a bit Mr Kirby, :wink: .
yeah but places like Woolworths, Music Zone and a few other LOST money over xmas, infact thier profits dropped!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Do any of you plan on playing the MMO when it comes out? I am considering it if I can get a computer that will run it. I am curious if WAR will bring in MMO players who've not been interested in MMO's before. I doubt it'll have the same impact WOW did but will hopefully be successful enough that the rise in profits will stem the rise in prices. Then again, maybe I'm thinking wishfully.

·
Registered
966 Posts
apart from GW ended up selling the entire liscence off for Warhammer online due to escalating costs and ever moving deadlines.

So friad to say they wonät get a penny any more.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hmm, was unaware that that had happened. I only found out about the project in the last two weeks ago myself. It's unfortunate, Mythic gets bought out by EA and GW drops out of WAR. Meh.

·
Registered
966 Posts
GW pulled the plug on it about 2/3 years ago. Lots and lots of money vanishing down a black hole to the developer and no results. They pul out, the developer buys the liscence off GW and suddenly development is in full swing.

Think someone got lead down the garden path.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That's insane. The UK is pouring out twice as much as all of the Americas! Good god, they sure do like their little men don't they? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
966 Posts
ahhh but "market penetration" here in the UK is far greater as nowdays nearly every town above say 100,000 ppl has a store in it.

Kids will eventually find it, get intro'd and then start playing.

The US is behind in that sense as they still have a relatively low ratio of stores/population compared to the UK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agreed.. I'd love to see more sci-fi MMO's.. I played SWG, and it had potential until Sony Online Entertainment turned it into an abortion of a decent video game.. my whole guild jumped ship away from SWG when WoW came out and have been there ever since.

The problem with warhammer MMO is that it has to compete with WoW and LoTR online..

And personally, I'm just tired of fantasy based MMO's.. I'd like to see more sci-fi based stuff and based on the success of Dawn of War, I'd LOVE to see either an MMO based on WH 40K, or at least a BF2/BF2142 style of game based on WH40K..

I know there is a 40k mod being developed for BF2 engine.. but who knows how far that will actually get.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts