Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know there are doctors(apothicaries, medics) in 40k. Im wondering what do they look like? In Ravenor there was a renegade(by memory) doctor that worked in the stacks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I Believe that, that would depend entirily on the World they originate from
Taking a look at all the different medics in GW Cadians, Vostroyans etc tend to look different.
If you want later I could post up my Vostroyan medic? Mabye we could get some other people to put up their medics/Apothicaries to compare the difference.

Oh and yes there was Forget his name somthing starting with B, He was unlicenced however so unfunded and unsupported so I dont think he looked any different from your regular Jo.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Helps if you go back and look at medical history in different cultures. After all many doctors/medics/surgeons would wear either leather aprons/coverings or black either so the blood wouldn't show or it wouldn't get on their clothing.

It all depends of course, if one werea doctor for the nobility of a world one would be expected to always be in pristine condition and probably have cleaner tools that are sharpened/cared for by underlings rather than 'whenever you could find a minute.' This would have a side effect of reducing infection and increasing survival rates... which feeds into the idea of the higher up you are the better medical care you get.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Generally, regardless of the world a doctor or medic will try to wear clothes that are a little more clean. Other than that, it varies from world to world; on one planet the populace might wear clothing similar to that of the old west, in which case a doctor might wear something akin to a butcher since it is not to restricting. On a world like Cadia, heavily militarized, your medic might be in fatigues or even light body armour because he or she is also a soldier. On a farm the medic might wear regular clothes beneath a smock.

There is no defining clothing set for doctors, just like it may be for various countries here in the world.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok...What about medical equipment, I know they have all kinds of servitors, IVs, stuff we have now.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think a lot of what equipment they have will vary depending on two main factors: tech level and wealth.
Low tech and no-cash would probably see Drs equipped like those who work in the 3rd World/developing nations here. They will have the basics- thermometers, stethescopes, hypodermics + syringes, autoclave (for heat sterilising), antiseptic cream and various basic surgical tools (scalpels, scissors etc).
Higher tech and rich Drs would probably be as well equipped as any of the top hospitals in the world today and then some. Rather than syringes they might be using something that just pushes the drug through the gaps in the skin without having to actually break the skin with a needle. There will be loads of devices we wouldn't recognise, and probably for ilnesses we couldn't diagnose.
So, I think it really depends on where your Dr is based. Go to the websites of some of the big hospitals to find out what services they offer, then a quick web-search might tell you what equipment is needed to perfom those things. For less advanced clinincs, then maybe search for charities who serve the 3rd world, these sites might have descriptions of the conditions the Drs work under and what stuff they need.
Hope that rather confused mess helps!

GFP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.