Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Do you think you should be allow to put more then one army in your army?

• Yes

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 63.2%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
In general no. Ig and Grey Knights...yes. Orks and Eldar...no.

·
Registered
599 Posts
While i would like to do exactly that, have orks and IG i don't think we should be able to.

although i don't see an issue if you bring 2 armies that a seperate yet both are legal(ie have hq, 2 troops)

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Quite simply, No. The armies are designed to be balanced as a whole. This is done by weighing the units within the army list against one another, not against units from other army lists. To be able to pick and choose will completely tilt this balance.

If you heard people whining about such and such 'cheesy'/'beardy' OTT list before, just wait. Forget waiting... What do you think could be made by allowing cross-pollinization (an orky reference, lol...), as I'm sure that most shooty armies would love to bust a few points on Lootas with 45 Str7 shots a turn...

·
Registered
414 Posts
if fluff can back it up or some really sensible reason then i dont see why not. like i read somewhere ages ago harlequins fought along side humans and such, so i dont see why you couldnt have them in an IG army or something. that would also depend on whether your opponent was ok with it or not though too.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I am also going to say no. The armies are to be balanced in strengths and weaknesses. By being able to take just the strengths of two armies then things would really get messed up.

While there is lots of fluff to back up different armies joining together including orks and IG working together.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't think it would be very fun in game terms. Wouldn't it lead to Beardiest Rules Combo-Hammer?

It does beg the question and introduce the cranial puzzle of which two armies would be the cheesiest combo.

Tyranids and Necrons? Kind of fluffy too - the Necrons want souls, Tyranids biomass. After they wipe everyone else out, the Tyranids could try adding Necron metal to the next generation before moving to another galaxy.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Tyranids and Necrons? Kind of fluffy too - the Necrons want souls, Tyranids biomass. After they wipe everyone else out, the Tyranids could try adding Necron metal to the next generation before moving to another galaxy.
I've read at multiple sources that one of the reasons nids try not to fight against crons is because the special metal their bodies are made of cannot be absorbed by nids.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well if you want to combine armies your best bet is batteling with someone who plays a different army on your side 2 vs 2

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I really think allies are best left to Apocalypse-- even in the case of Imperial contingents. A Space Marine Strike Force, a Sisters Commandery, an Imperial Guard detatchment... all are easily part of a greater larger army in the area, but that's just the individual command represented in 2000 points or so. Once you get to Apocalypse scale, then it's more appropriate to have allies, I think.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
For the most part I say no for the mixing armies. However, there are some fluff and justification for armies joining up, IG and Space Marines, so I think it should be allowed but there would have to be some rules for which armies is the main army and thus limiting choices on what units can be taken. Something like what is in the WH and DH books. Until that time, mixing armies should be seen in APOC games only and even than there should be some fluff justification behind the mix.

On the other note, best mix seems to be IG and tyranid, long range shooting with mass cc moving up. Fluff wise it also works as well. If someone tries that in a game, let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I answered 'no,' but in general I would have to say that I agree with the Apocalypse allies chart in the book. Some factions can play nice together, but for others, you'd better have a good reason to combine Orks and Eldar for example.

In a standard 40k game, I would say no, or whatever is allowed in the codex (such as Inquisitorial allies.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts