Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering what the common consensus is on painting the edges of bases. I've just done a stirland mud base and I'm thinking of painting the edge with Rhinox Hide or Mournfang brown, or just leaving it as black. Is it better to paint the edge or leave it black?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Depends on how I'm doing the base, but I generally paint the sides to match what's on top. Just not a fan of black base sides when I'm doing a snow/ice theme for example.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I always paint my bases edges. Though I also follow a proverbially "old school" approach to base painting. I green and grassy. It's not as scenic as a lot of bases, but I often played on green mats with basic land forms. On a green mat, green bases almost disappear letting the model standout nite from the surface.

Bloodletter example unit

·
Registered
992 Posts
I always paint the base edges, even if they end up being black I go around the edge with black. I also use it as a way to designate squadrons that look otherwise similar (purple band, green band, etc) on the table top.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I always clean up the edges of the base with black paint. That way the base doesn't look like it was painted in a rush.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Depends on what I'm using for a primer & what I'm doing for bases. My Eldar have brown rims so I always have to paint them. Most of my WFB (O&G & Skaven the exceptions) armies have black rims so if I'm using black primer I don't have to worry about anything. If I prime w/ white then I have to paint the rims.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I paint my base rims scorched brown or dryad bark as its called these days. I think painting the base rims gives the model a more finished look. I still love the 90's Goblin Green rim bases though. :grin:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I always paint mine... Black! :D

I need to tidy up the edges from the airbrushing. I still think black looks best on any type of terrain, although dark brown edges work well too. On top of that, I don't ever have to worry about the edges chipping (which they are prone to do).

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I paint my base rims scorched brown or dryad bark as its called these days. I think painting the base rims gives the model a more finished look. I still love the 90's Goblin Green rim bases though. :grin:
as do I! back when every base was green no matter what.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I paint mine as well to match the desert theme of my armies. All my armies seem to come from the desert for some reason I think I spent to many years there growing up now the 40k universe is one big desert to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I always paint the edges of the base to match the top. If it's totally flocked I paint the edges green. If it's a combination of dirt and foliage, I paint it the dirt color. I don't care for black edges on my bases, as I feel they detract from the attempted realism of the figure on the table, and make it look more like a board game piece. I wan a base that will blend into the game board or mat, not stand out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I always paint the edges of my bases black, it gives a definitive line towards where the model ends, it frames your work and just looks far more professional, far better in my opinion than just blending into whatever board they're on, you want them to stand out, you've worked hard on them

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I see a black-but-paint-splattered base rim and I want it painted black, no colors anymore I want to paint it black.

·
Registered
43 Posts
J
you want them to stand out, you've worked hard on them
I do want them to stand on, but I want the FIGURE to stand out, not the base. To me, a base that blends into the table gives the impression that the figure is striding across the table into battle. Emphasizing the separation between the base and the table makes my figures look like the are riding some sort of round skate board across the table. :D

Of course everyone should do whatever makes them happy. They're your miniatures and your opinion is what matters, not mine! Also, this relates to gaming figures, for display pieces I would agree that a black rim on a base, or even more, helps set off the figure. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I do red planet basing on my miniatures and early on discovered GW's Mechrite Red Foundation paint. Their new closest match is supposedly Mephiston Red, which is a lie, I think it may be more Khorne Red. Anyway, my dwindling reserves are used solely as a base coat which I now supplement with around 3 coats of Vallejo Game Colour Extra Opaque [which it is not] Heavy Red. The Heavy Red gives a much richer tone than even the old Mechrite.

So, yes! I do paint the edges, although I believe you could leave them unpainted, so long there is no evidence that your base painting has spilled onto the edges.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts