Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this exist?

If so, who owns it? Do you? Does someone else? If it does exist - how come you can't remember it before your stint as a human?

I'm skeptical - we live, we die. GG.

But what about you?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I never believed in a soul and never will. Fact is the soul and mind more or less define the same cthing, and as a neuro psych student I have seen how destruction of brain tissue directly effects peoples mental capabilities and identity. Keeping this in mind I see little evidence to support a eternal none physical soul. One may exist, but almost by definition its impossible to observe so its a worthless concept to me.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Fact is the soul and mind more or less define the same cthing, and as a neuro psych student I have seen how destruction of brain tissue directly effects peoples mental capabilities and identity.
That's pretty much why I don't believe in an 'eternal soul'. Having a family member with dementia has killed that little bit of fantasy for me.

When your brain stops functioning you cease to exist, it's as simple as that.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I certainly don't believe in a soul as any mainstream religion defines it. As said by others here, you see how brain damage changes a person drastically, so if the soul concept was true, they'd still be the same person, just with handicaps.

That said... we know the brain, which is essentially us, is a collection of electrical impulses at a basic level, and energy cannot be created or destroyed, it always exists in one form or another in potential....

Therefore, while we may not have a soul with memories, I'd like to think that we have got something akin to a soul in that being a life force. An energy that is a part of us and will exist still after we've gone.

If that can be classed as a soul, then yes. I believe in one.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Does this exist?I believe it does.

If so, who owns it? Do you? Both yes and no on who owns it.

Does someone else? After one "expires" I believe there is a judgment determining that.

If it does exist - how come you can't remember it before your stint as a human? I believe your soul doesn't fully exist until you're born. Its new as well as the body its in.

I'm skeptical - we live, we die. GG.

But what about you?
At the risk of criticism by users on here, I genuinely believe we have souls. Regardless of matters of brain damage and dementia (I've had family members with both and that has not swayed me from this) I believe the physical body is one state of being before death. However, this topic can quickly go into a Theological discussion, IMHO, and I'll refrain from going that route without being asked to do so. However, I do believe we have souls.

·
Registered
614 Posts
A novel by the French writer Bernard Werber, The Thanatonauts, brings up an interesting point of view. Spoilers ahead for those of you would like to read it.
Basically every living thing in the universe has a soul, a small quantity of energy that animates it and draws the line between alive and dead. At the moment of death, the soul is judged for it's actions and reincarnated in an other form, depending on what it has done in this life to make the universe a better place.
So there a finite number of souls, and we dont keep memories from "former lives" as this is linked to the brain and not the spark of life that keeps us alive.

That's a theory I like to believe in.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Peter F Hamilton in his various books puts forward some interesting ideas about things that might be called a soul and eternal after life.

I'm very much in the never say never camp and I do wonder at times why it is that humans are so different to other creatures in ways that seem to go beyond our greater intelligence.

·
For Da Boss
2,156 Posts
Personally i believe in a soul, but as said in earlier posts one does not retain memories from past lives as that is linked to the brain. i do however belive that personalities are derived from a soul, learned via different life paths. i do not want to find out if i do infact have a soul or not though, as i imagine you lear that when your body is laid to rest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts