Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
I don't care as I only play for fun, most people would rather use a current codex because they're up to date with the rules. One example is a good friend of mine's wife, she has a Lost & the Damed army, I enjoy playing with her and it's all for fun so what does it matter. As long as the people playing the game agree play whatever you want to.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
depends, if its the previous chaos codex, you can shove it up your butt, I ain't facing the silver marine codex again, anything else sure why not.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
wouldn't mind really but i play at my local so if it's on the store frount and not the battle bunker they would mind. Tho the manager is a nice guy he has to follow the rules of GW as everyone else....the other guy(s) however will probally use it as an excuse to kick us out.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I would not like to play against an older Codex... I would rather play against the new one...

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
No, live with crap GW threw at you.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
No, live with crap GW threw at you.
There is nothing crap about the stuff that they produce to keep the hobby interesting! :angry:

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I guess it depends on the codex wouldn't it? If I showed up with my 2nd edition space marines or chaos marines codex, (the ones with wargear cards in it,) I would think one of two things would happen:

1) I would be fielding an army that the rules are so far out of date that nothing would work harmoniously and make the game all but unplayable, or...

2) I wouldn't be able to field a competitive army, as the points costs are so different from really old rule sets to the current 5th edition. Example being the cost of a marine razorback from the 2nd ed codex, they were 150 points each!

Now if I brought a codex that was a penultimate edition, it should work without much problem, (dark eldar and necron players play with an outdated codex every time right?)

Either way, I don't have too big an issue with it, if anything it would be different...

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Now if I brought a codex that was a penultimate edition, it should work without much problem, (dark eldar and necron players play with an outdated codex every time right?)
Gah! Don't remind me. Patience is not one of my strong points.
I Just hope they do a good job with the new Cron Codex

SGMAlice

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
No, but I play most of my games at tournaments so its not really up to me.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I Just hope they do a good job with the new Cron Codex
Same here. I have always liked the look of the necrons, (something about them just catches my eye) but I never bought any models as I wanted to get my Khorne army finished first. Now it is too late to really start a necron army as I am waiting for the new codex to arrive to see if I want to indulge in that endeavor.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Nope, current codex only, you can wheel out all the rogue trader rhinos you want and play with an army of RTB01 marines but it has to be the latest incarnation of the codex, Personally (and this wont sit too kindly with some people) i feel if you cant afford the codex for your army you cant afford to play the game, for me the Codex is the absolute minimum requirement for anyone wanting to play 40k, by all means share a rule book or buy the mini one from AOBR but you have to have the codex.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I don't think there is any reason to believe they would do a poor job on it(necrons), all 5th ed codices have been exemplary up to this point.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I don't think there is any reason to believe they would do a poor job on it(necrons), all 5th ed codices have been exemplary up to this point.
So it would seem

Nope, current codex only, you can wheel out all the rogue trader rhinos you want and play with an army of RTB01 marines but it has to be the latest incarnation of the codex, Personally (and this wont sit too kindly with some people) i feel if you cant afford the codex for your army you cant afford to play the game, for me the Codex is the absolute minimum requirement for anyone wanting to play 40k, by all means share a rule book or buy the mini one from AOBR but you have to have the codex.

I'm pretty sure the OP meant old 'Dex as an aside to the current ones, Methinks its a given, that a player has the current version of their Codex
I'm not sure many people are going to get introduced to 40k with an outdated codex.

SGMAlice

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think you should play to the most modern codex you can, let be honest there easy enough to get one way or another

But i dont think it fair how GW delete units (eg madboys, tinboys, Zoats, Exodite eldar list) Therefore i suggest if you want to use such unit dig up the latest rules you can find in previous edition of a codex

Mark

·
Registered
252 Posts
GW shops have loaner copies of the current codex so if someone really wanted to play an up to date codex they could make it happen, even on a shoestring budget.

So I guess what I'm saying is if someone insisted on using an older version of a codex, my first reaction would be to wonder what rule, unit or special ability was in that codex and absent form the current one that they want to use.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts