Votes: 7 41.2%
  • no, i dont trust psykers

Votes: 1 5.9%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
■Polypsykana - An offshoot of the Xanthites, the Polypsykana is a Radical faction of the Inquisition obsessed with the power of psykers. Its members believe that the psyker is a natural evolution of Man's slow development into a higher being. The faction believes that this transformation is inevitable and ultimately humanity's only salvation in such a dangerous universe. To this end, members work to protect and nurture psykers and increase the role they play within the Imperium.

is this the evolution of mankind to being a pure psychic race? is this the destiny of the imperium?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Hard to tell. I myself do not think that is the way to go when I compare with the Eldar. The eldar evolved into a psychic race before the immaterium hungered after their souls. Now with the immaterium always seek to infiltrate and Possess mankind and psykers are one of their favoured paths I have a hard time to see humanity evolve to a psychic race. If evolution has it's course I think the opposite. Then I don't know about IOM's stand on selective breeding, in that case they employ it to have more psykers that may resistent the gods of chaos then maybe, but only maybe since I believe it be a perilious path niether way.

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
Honestly, if it makes you happy, go for it. Just don't try to force your beliefs on me is all I care about.
Everyone has opinions. Thats what going on forums is about. I personally detest people that tries to present their opinions as the truth. Its their truth, not necessarily my truth.

And everyone reads something different, just watch any discussion here.

What are your opinions about this matter? I'm sort of curious now.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
@Beaviz81

My honest opinion is that it's stupid. But I also think scientology is stupid. We all believe in something (even if you believe in nothing, that is still something).

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
@Beaviz81

My honest opinion is that it's stupid. But I also think scientology is stupid. We all believe in something (even if you believe in nothing, that is still something).
You make good points even if a bit disrespectful. And its an interesting take on polypsykana to compare it to Scientology, can you elaborate on that point if you don't mind?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Honestly, if it makes you happy, go for it. Just don't try to force your beliefs on me is all I care about.
That is the trouble with psykers, isn't it? They get into your mind and force you to believe even stupid things you'd normally never agree to, buoahahahahahahah! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
@Beaviz81
I'm not comparing either religion to any other. I'm also not trying to be disrespectful to anyone or what they do/don't believe in. So really there is nothing for me to elaborate on.
The way I go through life is that I believe what I believe and don't care what anyone else believes in. Not to say that I'm short sighted or not empathetic (think that's the word) for others beliefs. If someone wants to have a rational conversation then I'm all for it. What I wont put up with is someone who has to stand on a soap box and shout to the world what their beliefs are and try and force me to like it.
For example (and everyone, take this the way I mean it, the way I say it. Don't blow it all out of context): The gay community. First of all, yes, I think they should have the same rights as anyone else. Want to get married? Fine! Want to adobt? Fine! I realize that to get the changes that are needed, then there has to be some waves made. But I think there are a LOT better ways to do it than the most vocal idiots have gone about it. (Again, I am NOT saying anything bad about anyone who is gay/lesbian/bi/trans/ or any other way they want to identify their self). I just want to live and let live.
Few months ago two men came to my door to tell me about the Later Day Saints. Because my personal stance is not what they believe in, I politely told them that I wasn't interested and that I wish them a great day. We shook hands and they left. No harsh words, no hard feelings. In fact, because they didn't push the issue, I actually respected them a ton more.
Ok, I'm done rambling!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Remind me why an immaterial, non-essential storytelling device is apparently just as divisive and politically loaded as real life issues?

I disagree with polypsykana. Humanity has done quite well for itself considering it lacked psychic powers, and I see no argument as to why it 'must' become that way. Besides, evidence shows that the transition to psykers is utterly uncontrolled: Imagine whole worlds turning at once. They'd immediately rip open the Warp and spew daemons all over the place. Humanity has far too much to learn as a species before it steps into the same territory as the Eldar and with the same hubris.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Remind me why an immaterial, non-essential storytelling device is apparently just as divisive and politically loaded as real life issues?
Um, religion? Sorry, I just couldn't help myself... and this statement in no way endorses the Ecclisiarchy.

I do agree with you about the uncontrollable evolutionary psychic nature of humanity posing a clear mortal threat. I just don't think that's a good enough reason to kidnap or hunt down every individual born with the gene, sterilize them and sacrifice them to the big bright light on Terra.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, it really depend.

Psyker are more and more appearing, but it doesn't mean that they are the next step of evolution. Maybe they are just an appearing clade, and nothing is here to say that this clade in particular will survive long, esecially when you consider the danger of the warp.

Magnus the red had a vision similar about the future, but I doubt it was the only way, and it seems that the emperor had his idea too about the future of mankind.

For example, if you take Neanderthal, he was probably more efficient in some way, more civilized, but it disappeared nonetheless.

So Psyker are important, for without them, the imperium would fall, but not THAT important that the imperium would have to put all his eggs in this bag in particular.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

I disagree with polypsykana. Humanity has done quite well for itself considering it lacked psychic powers, and I see no argument as to why it 'must' become that way. Besides, evidence shows that the transition to psykers is utterly uncontrolled: Imagine whole worlds turning at once. They'd immediately rip open the Warp and spew daemons all over the place. Humanity has far too much to learn as a species before it steps into the same territory as the Eldar and with the same hubris.
Whose to say that isn't for the best? Only human arrogance would assume the galaxy is theirs to rule forever.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Whose to say that isn't for the best? Only human arrogance would assume the galaxy is theirs to rule forever.
I'm just going to ignore this appeal for self-extermination cloaked in a guise of "humility," kthx.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'm just going to ignore this appeal for self-extermination cloaked in a guise of "humility," kthx.
Right now in the imperium anyone could die because a person of questionable sanity found a single piece of taint on their homeworld.

Or they'll be drafted and forced to fight an unknown enemy and potentially dying just to give space marines a chance to stop it.

If they refuse they're shot, if they kill themselves their family could be punished. Even if they survive those same people of questionable sanity could kill them anyways because they could be tainted.

Chaos has none of that, they don't force anything on people if you want something you strike a bargain and you get it,

chaos is freedom.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Chaos has none of that, they don't force anything on people if you want something you strike a bargain and you get it,

chaos is freedom.
Haha, good one...

... you're serious.

Wait, you're actually serious?

"This demonic death machine is your ally! It fights for Freedom!"

:puke:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you have no business discussing a topic about 'productive' activity as opposed to being mindlessly destructive. Even the Inquisitorial adherents of Polypsykana would jettison you out of an airlock with intentions like that.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Haha, good one...

... you're serious.

Wait, you're actually serious?

"This demonic death machine is your ally! It fights for Freedom!"

:puke:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you have no business discussing a topic about 'productive' activity as opposed to being mindlessly destructive. Even the Inquisitorial adherents of Polypsykana would jettison you out of an airlock with intentions like that.
Might I suggest picking up the talon of horus?

It shows a fairly good take on the true nature of the warp.

The only difference between the imperium and chaos is that chaos followers aren't lying to themselves as to what's really going on.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Might I suggest picking up the talon of horus?

It shows a fairly good take on the true nature of the warp.

The only difference between the imperium and chaos is that chaos followers aren't lying to themselves as to what's really going on.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Didn't read Talon of Horus -yet-, but I suggest you should read some of the Horus Heresy book.

If I remember well, Chaos has shown to Horus a vision of the future that he was about to trying to prevent by making a rebellion that eventually lead to the very future...

Sound like lies and manipulation to me.

And well, sure, Tzeentch, that good guy is really about truth and freedom, isn't it ?

Oh, and maybe I should talk about the Nurgle, first the guy infect you with terminal dsease. Second he wait for you that you turn to him in despair, and then, he make you spread those same very disease that got you to him in the first place.

And don't make me begin with Slaanesh !

Only Khorne is quite truthful about his way, too bad that he's so obsessed about one part of his life that when you side with him, you are ending unable to see beyond the next slaughter... Wait !! Wasn't that a form of brainwashing ?

In "Betrayer", Argel Tal himself put it that way, in WHK 40K, there's no really good side. He saw the only truth, and for that, for trying to be a good guy, he ended killed by Erebus.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I've read plenty of the 40K books, and the horus heresy.

All of them make me root for anyone but the imperium, at least chaos is honest about what it is, unlike the imperium which lies constantly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts