Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking about this with the little lady last night: the idea that naming a person something somehow contributes to their character, for me it's ac concept that I've been aware of since I was about 11 after reading the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. I'm conflicted about it, there are some names I would never call my kids - Richard for example, nice name but every Richard bar one I have ever met has turned out to be a fucktard of biblical proportions. That said I wouldn't make a snap judgement about somebody based purely on their name if all I heard was their name.

And then there are people like this mouth breathing retard:

The level of stupidity and hypocracy of the woman is staggering.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
My thoughts on the woman in the video are not repeatable, even on Heresy.

On the subject I like certain names and dislike others but I don't think I could make a judgement just because of a name. Unless that name is Alex, because only the greatest people on earth are named Alex, its a fact and a law!

Certain names may roughly denote class but that's not a judgement of the person's character, just their background. Essentially a name is just as random as your star sign, and just as likely to predict anything about you.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was expecting something much less polite from you Norm. Haha yeah... that bitch in the video... after a quick peak around google I will now forever associate the name Katie will somebody with a face like a horse who likes shagging people other than their husbands in fields...

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
And people wonder why I hate the Tories when she is a atypical voter for them....

Anyway, on subject.

Names having power.... I don't think so. Simply because someones been named Bob rather then Jack doesn't mean that their entire personality is going to end up differently. Its all in the same class of thinking as Horoscopes and that somehow because your born at a certain time your going to be different then if you were born two weeks later.... Its all total crap.

Those 'nameologists' or whatever the hell they're called out there are all the same as the so called psychics and mystics attributing stuff to certain things.... its all so vague and generic that it could apply to almost anyone, or anything.

That said, are their names I dislike and would never call my kids? Yes.

James for instance... Almost every James I've ever met has been classed with the scum of the earth. The highschool bully, another who turned into a drug dealer... a random tosser who thought trying to glass a friend of mine on a night out 'would be funny and impress a girl'.

Does that mean that all James are scum though because they're called James? No. We've got James Avery AKA Uncle Phil. James Earl Jones, James Brown, James Dean.... and hell, even my local game store manager is called James, and he's a great guy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
TBH, it seems like these 'nameologists' are just bigoted, and trying to justify their snap decisions with something that sounds fancy and intelligent.
I don't think your name affects who you are. Your name is important, but not because it made you who you are today.

On a side note, IIRC my dad told me about how in India, some families would wait until their child was a bit older and then name them depending on what it looked like their character would be, so their character would affect their name, rather than vice versa.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
On a side note, IIRC my dad told me about how in India, some families would wait until their child was a bit older and then name them depending on what it looked like their character would be, so their character would affect their name, rather than vice versa.
Why does that sound more like ' we don't want to name them yet incase they don't survive' to me?

Kinda like how if a pet has babies, you don't name the runt of the litter incase they don't survive.. then when you do they end up being called Lucky or similar.

Anyway. On another side note I do think its worth to say that while I don't believe that giving someone a certain name will effect how they turn out, and thus a name having power that way....

I do believe something in a name having power in that 'Once you give something a name, you give it life'.

Take for instance naming your car... anyone whose done this will know what I mean when you start attributing it moods, and you try and look out for it more and how it kinda becomes a member of the family rather then just a box used for transport.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think names don't predestine a persons behavior. I know a Richard who's a pretty good guy, if a little too shy for his own good. But I know six or seven different people that go by the name Josh, and they range from almost relgious fanatic to tech geek to stoner.

On a related side note that woman should be vigorously beaten with a bat.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I think they do, to some very small extent. It's a single word that represents you and a lot of others. Add a middle name and surname, and that's what you're called, and I'm sure there's some small amount of influence coming from the name itself.

Take, for example, stupid names or names that sound incredibly funny to the childish. If that person with a stupid name gets abused in any way, either due to the name or using the name, the name is having a very slight bit of power.

Anyway, enough of my retarded talk: the woman in the video is a cow.

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
I think it is partially true that names have power in so far as how people perceive people with certain names, I'm sure we have all heard people with names we thought were awesome or daft in our own opinions. Unfortunately people may make judgement's based your name and these could be people handling your c.v for a job or be on the interview board for a job or whatever which could impact you directly, sad but true.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Names most definitely have power, quite often so to an extent beyond your own control. But it is in no way mystical, it's simple psychology. People have a tendency to notice patterns, even very complex ones. It's one of the things that seperates humans from animals. It's a very important function our brain provides but unfortunately our brains aren't flawless. So sometimes we see patterns where there really aren't any. As many have mentioned if we meet a more annoying persons who carry the name John, for instance, than nice persons our brain will naturally associate that name with bad behaviour and we will thus, especially on an unconscious level, treat those persons differently than those with names we have good experiences with.
And how we treat other people, based off of their names or not, will in the long run affect them as human beings and as such their personalities.
Fortunately, I doubt this kind of thing really holds all that much importance seeing as the best way to overcome these unconscious prejudices is to get to know people and usually the people you know the best are those you like. And unless you are a braindead, narcissistic cunt their names won't really make a difference.

So all in all the only way I see a name really having power over you is if you have somehow been raised/brainwashed/talked yourself into believing your name is somehow significant to your destiny. In this case, it is more your own beliefs than your name that determines your actions and persona.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
The whole thing is worth it just to hear her say she hates geographical names, before good old Phil points out her child is called India, and then watch her back pedalling as she tries to argue India isn't a geographical name.

Vapid bitch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts