Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to start an IG army and what got me interested was the big numbers. But i see alot of lists that are alot of tanks. So is and infantry horde a valid tactic or will I just end up wsating my time? Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Bear in mind I don't play Infantry - heavy lists, so I'll no doubt miss something important.

You need a strong core at the heart of a list, so one of the characters that gives good leadership and Morale abilities -

- Straken if you want to have some assaulty capability, but to be successful you need to go all the way with this, so all the Sgts with PW/PF's, multiple Commissars, and even RR's and Ogryns..one or 2 weapons spread around a list doesn't achieve that much overall.

- Creed grants 1 unit a Scout move, so there's more mobility.

- Lord Commissar has a great Ld bubble which would help, but he can't give Orders.

- a CCS can take a Regimental Banner which helps with Leadership/Morale, plus Orders of course which are a necessity to get the most from your weaponry.

Your Infantry Platoons should either be lots of them or combined into 30 Men with a Commissar to stop them running away. I've seen PCS's with 4 SW's in Chimeras that help give some counterstrike capability and also give you some mobility. Al"rahem gives you mobility (Outflank) without the need for vehicles.

You need to take lots of HWT/HWS's otherwise you won't do enough damage..take a mix of weapons so you have AT, AI etc covered.

Sentinels make for good tarpitting units that can keep enemy assaulters away from your squishy Guardsmen for a while.

In the end just take an absolute crapload of Infantry and drown the enemy in your own blood:victory:

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Creed really excels when you have a lot of infantry, those four orders with a long range are glorious; and spreading Comissars around your army helps them keep in the fight, and not running away like tiny baby men.

Rough Riders help a LOT to make up for your huge lack of anti-MEQ, since most of that comes from tanks/artillery.
Keep in mind that they're 10 points a model, for 105 points you can decimate an MEQ squad, and with a solid charge range too (up to 24" in a turn). After that first hit, they aren't much of a threat, you might even get to contest an objective with them if your opponent leaves them alone.

Having squads of Mortars can really help, pinning is an amazing thing, if you blow up a transport they'll be clustered, lots of hits right there and every pinning test the enemy takes is a chance they're out of the game for a whole turn.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am also starting up a heavy infantry guard list, so I know what you mean there are times when I feel like im not making a tactically wise descion. However let me give you something to put a smile on your face.

IMO infantry IG lists can be quite competitive for a number of reasons if you have your head on the right way, have a glance over my 3 step program.

Play to your strengths
With the wimpy stats of a guardsman you have to play to your strengths, this is my first and most important rule for an IG infantry list. Let me illustrate this with an example from another army. In a death guard army you can get away with using plague marines for pretty much anything because they have such badass stats, for example although they are made for close range firefights with T5 S4 they aren't pushovers in CC either. Yes you can throw in Straken btu then you will have a small portion of your infantry as CC fighters and even with Straken his CC squad will most likely get picked apart by any CC dedicated infantry like zerkers or genestealers.

GUNS
"So what are my strengths?" I hear you ask, well that would be guns, lots and lots of guns. Our guys are weedy (I can't emphasize this enough) at best so CC is not an option, but with guns we don't have to worry as much about our weedy stats because our guns don't rely on our stats (besides BS obviously). So weapons teams, vets, and infantry squads, pysker battle squads, ratlings and sentinels (at home in a infantry list) can throw out a frighting number of shots and blast markers. Even lasguns are important in large numbers they can become pretty menacing. The tactic here is to follow the fluff, grind the enemy to dust with ranged firepower and slowly move up to finish them off and maybe grab an objective or two.

Orders
Orders are vital in an infantry list, seriously they are an IG infantry list's biggest perk. I don't think it is necessary for m to go on about how to use each order, it's pretty straight forward. Creed is an infantry list's best friend, he can issue orders at 24'!!!! The 4 orders make him worth it even before you consider that he can give any unit the scouts special rule which is great for outflanking heavy sentinels. To be successful with orders we must again overcome those iffy stats, with Ld7 it may be difficult to pass all the leadership tests for issuing orders. Voxs, standards and commissars are the answer here, none of these options are terribly expensive and all have a profound impact when trying to get successful orders.

So that's the three things I try to keep in mind when typing up a IG infantry list. Here are some extra little tips:

Marbo: Sneaking up on the enemy and throwing down a demo charge is cruel, for what you get he's really a steal. Sure he may get killed in the blast but he will definately take some enemies with him. I never leave him out of my infantry list simply because he can contribute so much to the shooting phase considering his points.

Master of Ordinance: He turns you CCS into a bassie, that is just way to cool. Yes true the shot always scatters but the shot only really needs to kill 30pts of enemies to make it's points back, sounds good to me:grin: People also point out that the shot can scatter into your own troops, this is always a possibility but considering that you should have a static fireline it is unlikely that you will need to be placing the templates anywhere near your own guys. If the enemy closes the gap then maybe you should start going slow with your officer of the fleet but still that first turn or two is just fun when throwing those templates out.

Officer of the Fleet: The bane of a static infantry list is drop pods and other deepstiking units. Officer of the fleet slows them down, nuff said.

Combined Squads: This makes it easier to maintain a leadership bubble and it takes less orders to get the same result.

So that's it good luck.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Al'Rahim, Creed, Marbo and an Astropath would be key elements of an IG infantry list, I imagine. Stick a Commie with Al's joined 20man infantry squad so that they become a real though nail to dislodge, and pack the Platoon with at least two SW teams, Flamer/Grenade and Melta.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
- a CCS can take a Regimental Banner which helps with Leadership/Morale, plus Orders of course which are a necessity to get the most from your weaponry.
Morale/Pinning yes, Orders no. You need voxes for Orders rerolls.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I played an infantry horde IG army roughly a year ago. He had somewhat 140 guards at 1500 pts IIRC.

His single biggest flaw in the list (imho) was not having a Commissar Lord around. That LD10 bubble will make wonders to o so many Guards. My opponent lost shitloads of models that ran of the table, or fled when they were boxed in by friendly units and thus died.

Sure the CCS orders are great and stuff, but any player that knows his shit will asap hammer the CCS with S6+ shooting until the officer is dead as doo doo. A CLord in a 30man unit will last sooo much longer and seems like a much better 1st HQ bet to me

·
Registered
802 Posts
i play catachans, and i always go for an infantry horde (mainly cos i cant afford £30 on a leman russ), but hey, i find it works, i have a firebase (CCS with MOO) in a chimera at the very back with a couple of sniper veteran squads to help it pick off any big scary monstrous creatures, then ill just march on the guardsmen, i also use Al-Rahem (abeilt a catachany one - the hit and run order appeals to me), to outflank a rather large infantry platoon, believe it or not, 40 guardsmen and lots of flamer special weapon squads is a lot to deal with suddenly popping out and shouting "SUPRISE!" before incinerating any foes stubborn enough to stay in cover :biggrin: all ive ever used is infantry and it normally goes rather well for me :grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts