Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, whats up with this possible combo? i dont see it pretty much often in lists. There is a downside? because as i see it, it can be so good as both units move 12'. I dont see any restriction to it and can be better than other units.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Scarabs are Tough 3 --- Your dlord for shooting is now Tough 3. It makes it easier to mow him down with massive amounts of shots. It means bolters would be 'woudning' a dlord on 3's instead of 6's

This is why most people run them with wraiths, as wraiths have the 3++ to help save the dlords from taking unnecessary wounds

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You could simply put him in the middle of the mass of scarabs and move him around like that so that wound priority went to the bases. I'm sure that you allocate wounds before rolling to wound so you can be accurate with different toughness values.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the shooting phase, you use majority toughness to inflict wounds, its not a shot by shot basis. So if your 10 tactical marines rapid fire the unit, your rolling to hit, so your average of 13 hits would need 3's to wound the unit.

Also, most people would just throw Str 6+ or any kind of template shots at the unit to just instant out the scarab bases or to double the wounds done to the unit to reduce its size very quickly.

Swarms have their uses and can be a threat, but when you put a DLord ( which is a threat by itself already ) with another threat, your just making a huge target that doesn't have much to save itself from basic shooting attacks.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
In the BRB it does say you use the most common toughness. That being said, Scarabs and the dlord have different armour saves, so he would at least benefit from the 'mixed saves' rule...but still. All it would take is a couple templates being dropped on that squad for your lord to come into harms way his toughness may have helped avoid.

Aesthetically it would be very cool to see a Lord zipping around in a mass of Scarabs. Quite pleasing.

....damn ninjas.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
While when the scarabs get to combat they would be awesome, as everyone said the dlord would really easily to kill, if you wan to risk or keep it at the back then go for it, or if you are mobbing non-vehicles (which is odd to with scarabs) then he can be handy for challenging and taking out pesky models

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That's stupid, IMO. Being surrounded by squishy weaklings doesn't drag you down as well. :p Me and my friends would probably homebrew that to allocate wounds before-hand.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
That's stupid, IMO.
What's stupid, using the most prevalent toughness value when determining wounds for shooting?

'Cuz otherwise things would be....challenging to make move quickly in game.

"so, how many shots are hitting this unit? 40? ..alright, let's roll to wound individually so as not to mess with my one T6 guy in a unit of T3 guys."

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
so he would at least benefit from the 'mixed saves' rule...but still.
Just to clarify, mixed saves isn't a rule, it's a method of resolution and if it confers a benefit then you are doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
What's stupid, using the most prevalent toughness value when determining wounds for shooting?

'Cuz otherwise things would be....challenging to make move quickly in game.

"so, how many shots are hitting this unit? 40? ..alright, let's roll to wound individually so as not to mess with my one T6 guy in a unit of T3 guys."
It actually makes a bit of sense now thinking about it... I was thinking of dealing one wound, but if you've got fourty wounds to go through then you'll almost definitely end up killing all of the guys in the way of your one T6 guy. But if, say, a template hits this unit of scarabs and hits five scarab bases and the lord then I'd just roll another colour of die to see if I wound the lord.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Just to clarify, mixed saves isn't a rule, it's a method of resolution and if it confers a benefit then you are doing something wrong.
I would say that this method of resolution does garner some benefit, as otherwise you would have to use majority save and the model whose save is better is now negated. I'd say that in this case it benefits the Lord to use this method of resolution greatly.

if, say, a template hits this unit of scarabs and hits five scarab bases and the lord then I'd just roll another colour of die to see if I wound the lord
That makes sense if it were an indirect barrage, when you take models away from the centre of the blast. What about when the casualties are removed from the front, as per all other blast templates? It could have scattered so far in to the unit that the Lord might not even be able to be wounded, yet there he is under the blast template.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I would say that this method of resolution does garner some benefit, as otherwise you would have to use majority save and the model whose save is better is now negated. I'd say that in this case it benefits the Lord to use this method of resolution greatly.
I guess I didn't word it right but the I was meaning that the basic principle is that if any model misses out on something which it is entitled then you are using the wrong method of resolution.

So the Lord isn't really benefiting because you don't get a choice of which method to use to resolve the wounds.

It actually makes a bit of sense now thinking about it... I was thinking of dealing one wound, but if you've got fourty wounds to go through then you'll almost definitely end up killing all of the guys in the way of your one T6 guy. But if, say, a template hits this unit of scarabs and hits five scarab bases and the lord then I'd just roll another colour of die to see if I wound the lord.
There are a 1000 different methods you could use to have each model in a unit use their own toughness, but the simple fact is 40k does not, purely for the sake of simplicity.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I would just avoid the situation. Putting a T6 guy in a T3 unit is bad news. And Preferred Enemy won't help Scarabs much anyway, given they need 4+ or worse to hit most enemies, 3+ against vehicles that move. Then they wound on 4+ or 5+ too. And again, with the Destroyer Lord's Warscythe, do you really need Entropic Strike in the same unit?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts