Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've dived back into the world of Fantasy after much persuasion, and bought the Army Book and Battalion for Warriors of Chaos - I'll also be picking up a Sorceror tomorrow. Here's the list I made, if you'd care to have a look at it:

Chaos Sorceror Lord with Mark of Tzeentch 250pts

11 Chaos Warriors with Full Command, Mark of Tzeentch and Shields
20 Chaos Marauders with Full Command, Mark of Tzeentch and Shields
5 Chaos Warhounds with Mutant Poisons
5 Chaos Warhounds

5 Chaos Knights with Full Command, Ensorcelled Weapons and Mark of Tzeentch

Alternatively, drop the Ensorcelled Weapons to add the extra Warrior.

Also, trying to keep it Tzeentch-themed, but that doesn't mean I need to have Marks on everyone.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Just that unit of knights alone will wreak havoc on almost anything it touches. and the hounds will be great at tying up siome of the bigger or tougher units for a turn so you can get into range to charge or to blow past them with the knights. i like the list i may have to copy some of the ideas.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I went through it with the store manager, he reckons you could do a lot worse than start with this, and then when you want to expand it to 2k you could do it on a comparatively low budget by buying another Battalion, a Battle Standard Bearer, and then something to fill up the last few points like a Spawn or something.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll bear that in mind, thanks for the suggestion - perhaps when I expand a little :victory:

Opinions on Warhounds? They seem kind of poor, I mean, I know they're just War Machine hunters really but they seem pretty meh at M7 and one attack each at Str3/T3.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hounds are there to die ingloriously in battle. If they don't die ... you're being WAY to careful w/ them. Use them to provide heavy cover for the foot sloggers. Use them to run straight for small units and, as you said, warmachines. They have WS4 IIRC so they can actually hit stuff. I ALWAYS have at least 1 unit of hounds. My usual setup for them is 5-6/unit. I've not tried them w/ poison or the armor save options, though, the poison one seems more useful. Too much shooting that will just negate a 6+ AS. I give them Vanguard about 75% of the time just to help them get that much closer to their preferred prey at the start of the game. Plus, if your opponent is shooting them, they're not shooting your killy stuff.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hounds are there to die ingloriously in battle. If they don't die ... you're being WAY to careful w/ them. Use them to provide heavy cover for the foot sloggers. Use them to run straight for small units and, as you said, warmachines. They have WS4 IIRC so they can actually hit stuff. I ALWAYS have at least 1 unit of hounds. My usual setup for them is 5-6/unit. I've not tried them w/ poison or the armor save options, though, the poison one seems more useful. Too much shooting that will just negate a 6+ AS. I give them Vanguard about 75% of the time just to help them get that much closer to their preferred prey at the start of the game. Plus, if your opponent is shooting them, they're not shooting your killy stuff.
That's what I figured, they seem reasonably able to take out the crew of an Empire or Elf war machine and are really cheap if you need a charge blocker etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The best use I have found for the hounds is to redirect your enemies charges - forcing them to expose a flank etc... line them up somewhat diagonal and let your opponent charge them - if they get hit they probably won't survive but the overrun will get them out of a position otherwise flee and let the enemy have a failed charge setting them up for you. I wouldn't spend any points on upgrading them other than to deny someone else a vanguard move, but they do make decent march move blockers.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LORDS
Daemon Prince of Tzeentch with Wizard Level 3, Scaled Skin, Chaos Armour, Dawnstone and Soul Feeder

HEROES
Exalted Hero with Battle Standard, Helm of Many Eyes, Shield, and Gold Sigil Sword (game two I swapped out the Gold Sigil Sword for the Sword of Striking after it being totally useless in game one - I hadn't realised that two combatants both with ASF doesn't cancel out, it just means you strike at the same time whether you're initiative one or ten)
Sorceror of Chaos with Wizard Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon and Enchanted Shield

CORE
24 Chaos Warriors with Mark of Tzeentch, Standard of Discipline, Shields, and Full Command
20 Marauders with Standard Bearer, Shields and Mark of Tzeentch
5 Warhounds
5 Warhounds

SPECIAL
5 Chaos Knights with Ensorcelled Blades and Full Command

This is the list I ended up bringing today. It performed quite well, beating my friend's Dark Elves once and going 1-1 with his Orcs and Goblins. Despite my BSB getting Spawnhood twice, he generally did very well, cleaving through most challengees that stood in his way. Lore of Tzeentch proved better than I expected it to be, although that was perhaps due to rolling Glean Magic and Treason of Tzeentch in both games (never got to use them, but they opened the way for me to cast my Level 2 Sorceror's Death spells as my opponent threw all of his dispel dice at them and Scroll'd Treason on his main block of Big Uns). The big ol' unit of Chaos Warriors was disappointing in the Dark Elf game as a combination of Fulminating Flame Cage and a failed leadership check stopped them getting into combat until the closing turns and they were severely understrength. In both other games, the Warriors were pretty brilliant, especially when they managed to get Glittering Robe through - 1+ armour on that many dudes is pretty insane.

The Daemon Prince is horrifying, essentially taking on the entire Dark Elf army alone, and his magical chicanery proved invaluable. The ability to have such a fast-moving and powerful monster, especially one so insanely resilient, was fantastic. He died once in the three games, which was when he was hit by a Foot of Gork followed by a Doom Diver (Doom Divers are the bane of my existence, I despise the things). Apart from that, his 2+ re-rollable armour and sheer speed saved him from too much damage on the way in, and Soul Feeder combined with his statline allowed him to pile wounds back on when he hit as well as butcher his way through units (he killed a unit of 10 Crossbowmen in a turn, then a Bolt Thrower, another unit of Crossbowmen, finally slamming into a big Spearmen unit containing his Level 4 and BSB).

Apart from that, what Lore do you think the Level 2 Sorceror should bring? I'm still not sure whether Shadow or Death is the better all-purpose, with Metal being the obvious choice for the Daemon Prince to guarantee the good buffs for the Warriors and obviously for anti-heavy infantry.

Also, a good way of dealing with Doom Divers? They're absolutely disgusting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts