Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'd like to make an IG army, starting out at a measly 500pts, It seems that a lot of things can go into an Imperial guard army, it's actually pretty surprising coming from a Marine standpoint how much you can pile in point wise.

I won't discuss army lists, but merely tactics, as i'd like to get a feel for what i'd like to do with the guard. It seems a lot of tactics in guard are Mechanized, of course though that makes sense considering their lack of defensive capability (and, offensive, unless you build them right). but at 500pts you have few choices of tanks, other than transports of course. but the Chimera seems to be a pretty hefty transport in combat, with a heavy flamer, and multi melta, it can definately make some noise. AV12 and AV11 also mean it's not a crunchy box for your men to die in (unlike the Marines). My wonder is, should i put in the effort to try and squeeze other heavy support units in at 500, or stick with the transports for their sturdiness?

Another comment made once before was Vendettas and Valks, I really do like these, but would they be useful in a 500pt army? do you think maybe they're overkill in the sense that they carry quite a bit of Anti armor?

i'm also wondering about the CCS and other HQ choices, i LOVE the orders that can be given from the CCS, but are they the only logical choice of HQ? the can give orders, they have 5 men so they're not as crunchy (also considering that a lone HQ would need some sort of retinue, costing more points) and overall aren't too shabby of a fighting force. but what about Commisar Yarrick? he's nigh indestructible, eternal Warrior, Zombie, and Re rolled wounds, especially when dealing with some of the HQ units out there (Like Daemon Princes) would having someone like Yarrick be a good HQ choice? or would you go with the CCS for the Orders?

Lastly troop choices, at 500 points, i had thought of taking two squads of Veterans in Chimeras, but another thought occurs to me of taking a PCS and two squads of infantry, for a 25man foot slogging unit, then have Vets in a Chimera to use meltas and such on enemy units. this would sure up two troop choices for sure, but would it be strong enough? do you think it's bad to mix slogging with armor?

I'll post a IG army solution later, i just wanted to hear some theory, some ideas and general knowledge of the IG, in the end, i'll eventually have a 1750 Mechanized IG, but i wanted to make something small first for fun, and thought it would be cool to weigh all possible options against other people's ideas to see what was possible for IG

·
Registered
434 Posts
Lastly troop choices, at 500 points, i had thought of taking two squads of Veterans in Chimeras, but another thought occurs to me of taking a PCS and two squads of infantry, for a 25man foot slogging unit, then have Vets in a Chimera to use meltas and such on enemy units. this would sure up two troop choices for sure, but would it be strong enough? do you think it's bad to mix slogging with armor?
Mix slogging with Armor? Could be disastrous if you dont know how to use them right ,or -if you can figure out an effective way to manover them go ahead it could pay off well.
I Play pritty much all Infantry with a few Leman Russ tanks so I wouldnt know much about Chimeras, but if you could get the enemy to focus their fire on your sloggers down the middle and have the chimeras up the side to flank attack and deliver a horribly painful payload then It could work.
But Im not an expect so get someone elses advice before planning anything

1 - 2 of 2 Posts