Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any good techniques for getting realistic looking dirt on a tank. I am not looking for the muddy look, but more of the driving through dessert areas dusty look. The tank I want to paint up is a WH exorcist so it will be mainly black and red. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Chalk pastels work real nice they're just pretty fragile and rub off the model if its handled alot.

Use your hobby knife and scrape it down the chalk to get a pile of dust. Use and old brush thats DRY and start to spread it on the parts you want mucked up, when your finished hit it with some Dull Coat. Repeat this process 2-3 times to build it up the amount of grime you want. Good Luck...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Desert weathering

Hmm. Dust over black .... not the easiest of prospects.

I suggest starting with an overall wash of thinned-down colour appropriate to your terrain: sandy yellow, buff, etc. By "thin" I mean perhaps 90:10 thinners to paint. You can always add another coat, and you might want to use a second or even third coat on the lower parts. This will settle in the detail and look like accumulated dust.

You could use Mig solid pigments, which will give a textured look but are not the easiest of things to work with - experiment first. They can be fixed with Mig's own fixative or mixed with a matt varnish of your choice. For display models not subject to handling, they can be used dry.

After this you're probably down to drybrushing with an appropriate colour, probably a lighter shade of the wash colour. I like oil paints for drybrushing, but not the new water-soluble ones: too runny. Naples Yellow is a good standby, and Mig do a range of specific military and weathering shades under the Abteilung 502 brand. Oils take an age to dry and aren't really suitable for gaming models subject to handling.

There are some good articles in various recent military modelling magazines. See if you can track down copies of Model Military International March 08 & DEc 07, Military Modelling Feb 08, AFV Modeller 38 Jan/Feb 08 & 37 Nov/Dec 07. All have some articles on dusty weathering, especially the last one which has the most awesome desert weathering I've ever seen.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Blo203 hit it on the head with pastel chalks. If you dust em on heavy and then dull coat the model, it will thin the chalks and seal them to the model for durability of handling. Only downfall with this is it takes much practice to get the technique down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts