Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't think of anywhere else to properly post this, so Mods feel free to relocate if I'm in the wrong place.

I'm in the market, as it were, for a relatively inexpensive, yet decent to good quality digital camera, one that will allow me to shoot good quality zoom pics of my minis painted/unpainted. My price range is in the $100.00-$150.00 range give or take a few bucks. I'll more than likely be sharing the camera with the missus too, so I have to convince her that WE [ her and I ] need a new one..LOL

If anyone knows of or has such a camera, please let me know.

Thx,

FFX

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
I have been searching for a camera also.

The only I know that we would need a macro function to be able to take the focused close ups of minis.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Here's a link to the last camera thread I was in, don't necro it though, but it has some helpful advice.

Basically, get something that has an optical zoom, a macro function, a decent Iso range, and most importantly try it out before you buy it. If you can, get some pictures with it, put them on a computer to see what the photos are like in full resolution, rather than just on the camera screen. 5+ megapixels is pretty standard these days, and usually will do you well enough. But yeah, try it out, take a model along to the store if needs be, take the shot, and see what it actually looks like, then try a couple of other options, and see which ones work and which don't. Once you've made your decision, then go out and find where to get the best price on it.

Besides that, the conditions you take photos in mean just as much. Decent lighting and a cheap mini-tripod can really help with picture quality. For lighting, somewhere bright, but not in direct sunlight or glare. Outside on a reasonably bright but overcast day works very well, as you get a lovely soft light without any glare. Otherwise, you could make yourself a cheap soft light box, or just find a well lit area inside - just don't have them spotlighted with a lamp or something. A mini-tripod can help keep the camera perfectly still while taking photos - use one with the timed photo setting and it really helps remove that little bit of blur you usually get when you press the trigger. One of those for a few bucks, or just propping your camera on some books, can make a bit of difference.

Anyway, hope that helps somewhat :)

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I was given a Kodak Easyshare c913 digital camera as a Christmas present. So far it has been really nice for overall photo taking. It has a lot of features for a relatively cheap price. It is a 9.2 mega pixel camera with a bunch of settings such as macro, low light, etc. It even does a fair job of making videos if the lighting is good. It usually sells for around $90.00 USD. Worth putting on your list of cameras to checkout.

Here is a link to Kodaks website about the c913.

Here is a couple of pics I took using the c913.

·
Miniature's Surgeon
881 Posts
I use a Canon Ixus 65 6 Megapixel, not too bad but old now. I'm looking to get something more upmarket perhaps SLR. But generally get something with a large LCD screen, along with the other guys advice. Features are always grate. Try not to get something that uses only SD cards, get SDHC. If your PC has a card reader you won't necessarily need a cable. I got a spare battery (for filming) it's handy as well as extra cards. You might want a tripod too.
Hope it helps,
Dusty

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
i would go fo anything in the nikon coolpix range, look for a camera that has a rechargeable battery, cameras eat batteries.

Im just about to buy a new camera myself and im going for a nikon SLR looking like its gonna be the D90, as i have only heard praise for it, currently have anikon cool pix and its a great camera , its lasted years and still going strong , takes an awesome shot for such a dated 3.2 mega camera, has loads of functions and i would recommend nikon over any camera manufacture

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for the replies.. More than likely I'll be taking Unforgiven's advice and going with the Kodak Easyshare c913 digital camera. THe pics you took are a GREAT help. The camera has everything that I'm looking for, and my wife likes the price [ the hugest deciding factor right there ].

Thx guys,

FFX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts