Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
yes there is but never plan ANYTHING on averages in 40k as it will never actualy happen lol or hasnt in my cases lol

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i worked it out.

i was wondering if it was worth to have 2 iniative 5 IC's with my blood claws in a rhino or LRC

so

rune priest
frost blade
belt of russ
artificer armor
wolf tooth necklace
pelt

hitting on 3s
wounding on 3s
6 attacks

same for wolf priest but
with iron amulet

so 12 attacks I5 No save Hitting on 3s always or '2s if possible
and wounding on 3s on marines

·
Registered
275 Posts
erm no its not possible to hit on 2ss.

12 attacks /6 = 2 *4 = 8 hits
8 hits /6 = 1.333' *4 = 5.333' wounds

i think this is right, so thats 5 (rounding down) anything with t4 and no invun save.

martin

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks yeah so always hitting on 3s is good no matter what you come up against.

5 dead people on average is nice with yet 12 other power weapon/fist attacks left + normal

thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
to be honest i expected more than that but thats what i worked out so i hope its right.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to be honest i expected more than that but thats what i worked out so i hope its right.
i don't mind but 5 dead on a average squad of marines = half squad dead
Eldar/Dark Eldar 1/3-1/4

my squad may cost a lot more but its a lot more effective than the points equivalent in tactical squads

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Math-hammer is of the devil.
Just sayin'

Elchimpster personally LOATHES the whole concept of playing "by the numbers" as in his view, it takes the fun out of the game. Why is Elchimpster talking in the 3rd person? Nobody knows.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Math-hammer is generally only about half-right. The number of possible outcomes when you roll dice is quite a bit larger than one might imagine. If you roll ten distinct dice, there are something like 450000 possible outcomes (essentially, six to the sixth power x10). It's too large a number to get a meaningfully accurate measure on. You can sort of half-ass it and figure that a model that's ballistic skill 4 will hit about two thirds of the time, and you can figure that a model that's got the same weapon skill as his opponent hits about half the time. Beyond that, it gets really innaccurate really quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Once your Guardsmen beat the snot out of Marines in mêlée combat on a regular basis, you kinda throw math-hammer out the window.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
However, if you were fighting with an entire chapter of marines against an entire regiment of guard, math-hammer is *probably* more reliable. It being about probability.

I once heard from a statistician that you should just throw away the first 1,000 results of any sample, they're meaningless (how true this is, I dunno).

So no game of 40k is gonna be statistically valid anyway, apparently (unless it's really big...)

·
Registered
162 Posts
it helps in a sense where you have a vague idea of what your army can do. Unless you have a day where your dice defy the rules of math and become magical, in which they will constantly roll above 4+ or below. It is all a possibility and theres is a possibility for all of your dice rolls to be 6 the whole entire game, very unlikely, but a possibility which is why some people dont count on math-hammer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts