Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Maybe give every army access to some kind of weapon platform (similar to IG's heavy teams only you would have to position a squad to man the platform). They could choose the gun on the platform and each would have a different point cost. They would be cheaper than a tank with the same guns, but they would be immobile. This could even be fully customizable with points cost for different AV's for the platform, maybe upgrade from tripod weapon, to sandbag emplacement, to bunker. Maybe an option to shoot the troop manning the platform but they would get cover saves depending on which type of platform. It would be easy to incorporate this into the looting situation if you went that direction. If you kill the squad, but don't blow the bunker you could make use of the platform yourself.
A bit of a re-think here and if this gets incorporated the looted weapon should probably be fired at a lower skill level to show that the new shooters aren't used to this type of gun. Maybe even take an entire round to learn to fire the weapon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I want to hear what Hesp has to say about htat

I know its simple but for some reason it seems complicated?!!?!? maybe im just tired and at work but bleh idk

yeah that seems reasonable pyro and would make it really fun

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
hmmm...this project sounds extremely interesting...

one thing that's always irked me about 40k is that there's no representation of getting hit from behind. i know that with most collectible mini games, there's a 'rear arc' to the model that grants a damage bonus if you can hit it...seems to me you ought to be rewarded for locking a model in combat, then hitting them from the rear with another model. just a thought...

·
Registered
679 Posts
It could be, but it could end up being more complicated than its worth. I'd like to hear some input on that kind of stuff as well. Once we get the basics hashed out this should come along very quick with all of the input and ideas so far.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mechwarrior has an incredibly simple hit from behind system and i think it could be done simply and effectively decrease Armor or increase possibility to get hit (enemy cant try to dodge?)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sorry Loyalist, I was posting while you were. Mine was directed above. As to hitting the rear armour or coming up behind an enemy that sounds like a cool idea. I never really thought about it while playing 40k, but I should have considering D&D uses attacks of opportunity and GURPS you catch them off guard and they can't react (block/parry/dodge).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Maybe when hesp gets back online we can get a chat room up for this?

I think a wide variety of races could be used so that multiple time periods and playing styles can be sated.

Just have things balanced out. Maybe races can have different orientations? Magic Firearms, close combat weapons, savagery, armor? Everything has weaknesses The Rock Paper Scissors effect

·
Registered
679 Posts
Just have things balanced out. Maybe races can have different orientations? Magic Firearms, close combat weapons, savagery, armor? Everything has weaknesses The Rock Paper Scissors effect
Thats kinda where I was headed with the idea of at least one very advanced race and at least one very savage race. Getting a chat going would be cool.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hesp has a great idea where there are a number of races (5 i think he said) and each race is subdivided to different factions. This would give lots of room for different play styles with the same race and different play styles would give you th opprotunity to have arock paper and scissors with each race

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Guys... you have some truly excellent ideas....

Please take the time to take a good look at the gaming systems you are familiar with, be they role play, table top, or even console, and look for all the bits that make you grin. Write them down and this next weekend we can all get together in live chat and have a grinder.

Purpose for the first grinder... basics of game mechanics. Do we allow block styled units, vehicles, skirmishers, 'flyers', hovercraft, diggers, submersibles, immobile units (great idea, but more of a scenario concept, unless of course every game has dedicated defenders/attackers, which might be a cool idea). Mainly, what do we allow, and what do we definitely NOT want.

Then, we break into teams, lol....

Again... you guys are great!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Attack/Defend could be a neat set up... maybe just as a special mission thing though.

If it's futuristic I was thinking more along the lines of dropping the platform in. Have you seen the Imerial Armour (I forget which book) that has IG... I think they are called terantula support platforms. They are automated and deep strike in from a orbiting ship. I was thinking along those lines and it could work for an armoured platform as well. Just depends on the direction we take in the chat.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
They are definitely an option, but remember that we do not want to borrow from 40K or any other gaming system in particular. We want to generate our own system borrowing only from the gaming hobby as a whole. Anything we use should not point directly to any single gaming system. Let's keep it fresh, and keep ourselves out of any implications of copyright infringement.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not just dropped in, summoned and built? loaded on tractors?

I think it would definetel make it interesting to have some immobile types or semi immobile maybe they can be pulled.

And hesp is right no need to get sued

·
Registered
679 Posts
I understand that concept completely. No gettin sued. I think the idea is vastly different from tarantula's, but its definately easier to explain new ideas in text if you've got something to reference that is somewhat similar. Without a picture it's hard to describe what you mean without some reference. If thats still too far I'll try really hard to describe everything without using any GW terms. Just let me know.

Also, I like the idea of the more fuedal or savage armies pulling them in with something. Whatever they use we could restrict their move to half and they could drop it off whenever. It would be more like ancient war machines like catapults that way. They could even use a slave team to pull it around if its that kind of race.

I'll keep brainstorming and get back into this discussion on Wednesday at the latest.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I'd like the system to be a bit more balanced. I collect another wargame, Robogear (I know, sounds rather childish), which has hit the balance mark right on the head. Games always last for about 4 hours, and they always annihilate each others forces till there's only a infantry squad of 3 men vs 2 men, and it's amazingly exciting. So, if the 40k system was a lot more balanced, we could have a lot more fun, and games would last for ages.

But, the thing is, robogear lacks variety. 40k has variety, but lacks balance. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
OK all... in an effort to prevent our Heresy Online from getting tangled and knotted in our messes (i.e. to prevent risk to Heresy Online should we say or do the wrong thing, here) I've put up a quick cheap (free) board for use solely as our project workstation.

Reconnaissance: Genesis is not an open forum, and is not available to the general public. If you wish to contribute, then please PM me and let me know your thoughts. Any who register without first contacting me (meaning I may not know who they are when they register, user-names being so vague and all) will not be permitted to view the forums.

http://z11.invisionfree.com/ReconGenesis/index.php?act=idx

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.