Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok hey all ive not got a rule book to hand till my new one arrives so thought id ask here, regarding detachments and formations in a army are you limited or can I say take 2 or even 3 different detachments/formations in a army( points permitting).

ive just got the new Shield of Baal: Exterminatus
there some nice looking detachments in there regarding the archangles and one with dante in I like but want to know the limitations on the detachments side of choosing an army.

cheers in advance all.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
You can take as many detachments as you want, provided you field the minimum required units for each one. In addition, one must be your primary detachment and contain your warlord (this cannot be an allied detachment).

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
An Army comes in two flavours, Battleforged and Unbound. If you remember back in 4th edition when Apocalypse came out, you were able to play with whatever you had in your collection, provided it was within the points limit, that is loosely what Unbound armies are. It is included more to allow players to do exactly that and play like so through RAW. However, due to the imbalance that comes with not having a limit on particular FoC chart choices, it isn't advised to seriously consider it for a "legal" army, and more of a stop gap measure. You'll see why later.

Battleforged are the more usual style of armies. Their limitation is that everything within that army fits within Detachments. There are no limits on the number of detachments you may take.

The main codex lists two kinds of detachments, the Combined Arms Detachment and the Allied Detachment. All armies have access to these Detachments. The detachments follow the baseline of rules for what people will have been used to; the 1HQ+2 Troops Minimum, with a max of 2 HQ, 3 Elite, 6 Troop, 3 FA and 3 HS, while Allies is 1 HQ+1 Troops minimum, with options for 1 Elite, 1 more troop, 1 FA and 1 HS option.

Each of these detachments have special rules; the major one is that you cannot take the Allies as a Primary Detachment, nor can the Warlord be selected from there, that they must be from a different Faction (i.e Grey Knights/Blood Angels etc etc) from the Primary Detachment, and something called Objective Secured. One of the major changes to 7th edition is that everything scores - so to make Troops useful (as they're rarely all that powerful compared to things like elites, so need to have an actual role in game), Troops in these detachments are "Objective Secured", or "ObSec" for short, which is essentially super scoring, and cannot be denied the objective unless opposed by another unit with that special rule.

In other Codices, Datasheets, or White Dwarfs, they are releasing variant Detachments with new Force Organization Charts. This includes notable ones like the Archangels or Baal Strike Force for Blood Angels. Units selected from these Force Organization Charts recieve the benefits mentioned. These do not apply to other units within the same army, but from a different detachment unless it states so. For example, Vanguard Squads in the Archangels get free Power Weapons - this does not apply to Elites chosen from a Combined Arms Detachment.

Lastly, we have something called Formations. Again, this is a throw back to Apocalypse, where you could get a collection of units, and the units within that detachment would recieve the benefits of special rules. These Formations specify which units to use, but unless it states otherwise, all of these units receive their normal options. For example, the Kharn's Butcherhorde lists a set number of units; Kharn, 4 CSM squads and 4 Berserkers. You cannot take more than those units within this Formation. However, when you look at the restrictions on the formation, it forces the CSM to take the Mark of Khorne upgrade, but nothing else (aside from the same faction thing).

However, there is no limit on how many models within each squad may be chosen other than what's presented in the army list. So, you may take Rhino's (which are an upgrade option), additional members, powerfist upgrades for the CSM, etc, all within the rules of the Formation.

Your entire army can be made up of this single Detachment if you wish. It is no different than any other Force Organization Chart.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
It was one of the things that threw me first getting into 7th Ed (and didn't help with much of the talk of FoC being replaced with fancy words like ObSec/CAD etc), and the old holdovers from 6th edition and Age of Darkness rules which limited us to 1 Primary and 1 Ally with the "2K rule" allowing for double FoC. All of which is now gone in favour of unlimited detachments. I just hope it helps a bit more.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Dude, what you just wrote out should be blasted to all new-to-7th players. It definitely took me reading over the BRB a couple times to get straight, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes wow thanks for that answear that does clear things up a lot , im looking at taking the detachments that gives my vanguard free power wepons , looks quite powerfull free upgrade/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts