Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Design a 6 Dread 1500 Space Marine army

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  emperor 
#1 · (Edited)
Inspired by the Dreadnoughts thread in the Tactics sub forum, I am wondering how to design a space marine army with 6 Dreadnoughts, using the special trait that allows +3 dreds?

A sample list:

DREAD-ASSAULT CANNON ARMY LIST 1500

Terminator HQ Squad (330)

1 Captain
-Terminator Armor
-Storm Bolter
-Lightning Claw
4 Terminators
-2 Assault Cannon
-2 Storm bolter

Dreadnought Company - x6 Dreadnoughts (810)

Elites

3x Dreadnought
-Venerable
-Assault Cannon
-Missile Launcher
-Extra Armor

Heavy Support

3x Dreadnought
-Assault Cannon
-Missile Launcher
-Extra Armor
-Tank Hunter

Troops (190)

1st Scout Sniper Squad
5 Scouts
-1 Missile Launcher
-4 Sniper Rifles

2nd Scout Sniper Squad
5 Scouts
-1 Missile Launcher
-4 Sniper Rifles

Fast Attack (160)

2x Tornado Landspeeder
-Heavy Bolter
-Assault Cannon

10 Points are leftover so one of the Venerable Dreds gets Tank Hunter too.

See less See more
#2 ·
With that many dreads, instead of having them all be ranged generalists, why not specialize a little? have some of the venerables kitted out to kill tanks (lascannon/missles) and have some of the regular ones kitted out with assault cannons/ccws and heavy bolter/assault cannons for killing troops. Specialization is a good thing when you have that many.

Otherwise I think it's a cool idea.

#5 ·
I would make all 6 dreads venerable, heavy flamer, AC, CCW, w/ drop pod. Then make everything else sit back and shoot. I'd also take scions of mars to fit the theme better, and have 2 Techmarine HQ's to run around and fix stuff or whatever. The rest would be ranged support like sniper scouts w/ HB's.

~dan

#6 ·
If I was taking the list i'd take a librarian with terminator retinue and 3 basic tactical squads.

Libby with 2 Assault Cannon Term Retinue
Fear, Fury, Vet Sgt with Combi Plasma/Melta

3 x Venerable Dreads
ML, Twin LC, Tank Hunter, Smoke, EA

3 Regular Dreads
AC, Smoke, EA

3 5 Man LC Tactical Squads

I've played a similar list before that took 6 Dreads and filled the rest with min maxed Tactical Squads. It was a brutal army.

#8 ·
btw the only way you can give the dreads tank hunter is if they are venerable.

my Iron Hands List currently:

Traits: Heed the wisdom of the ancients, Scions of mars.
Disadvantage: Eye To Eye

HQ
Techmarine, Servo Harness, +1 Wound, Termie Honours, Iron Halo

Elites
Dreadnaught, venerable, extra armour, smoke launchers, Lascannon and Missile Launcher

Dreadnaught, venerable, extra armour, smoke launchers, Lascannon and Missile Launcher

Troops

10 Marines, Missile launcher, plasma gun, Veteran sergeant with power fist and bionics.

10 Marines, Missile launcher, plasma gun, Veteran sergeant with power fist and bionics.

Heavy Support

Dreadnaught, venerable, extra armour, smoke launchers, ass cannon and pfist

Dreadnaught, venerable, extra armour, smoke launchers, ass cannon and pfist+ flamer

#14 ·
Traits: Heed the wisdom of the ancients, Scions of mars.
Disadvantage: Eye To Eye

HQ
Techmarine, Servo Harness, +1 Wound, Termie Honours, Iron Halo

Elites

Troops

Heavy Support

Dreadnaught, venerable, extra armour, smoke launchers, ass cannon and pfist+ flamer

this list looks good to me

#9 ·
my army looks like this (and it's really, really effective):

HQ

epistolary #1 - 150
bolt pistol & force weapon
psychic hood
terminator honors
fury of the ancients
veil of time

epistolary #2 - 150
bolt pistol & force weapon
psychic hood
terminator honors
fury of the ancients
veil of time

ELITE

dreadnought #1 - 130
venerable
assault cannon
storm bolter
extra armor

dreadnought #2 - 130
venerable
assault cannon
storm bolter
extra armor

dreadnought #3 - 130
venerable
assault cannon
storm bolter
extra armor

TROOPS

tactical squad #1 (5) - 90
lascannon

tactical squad #2 (5) - 90
lascannon

FAST ATTACK

landspeeder tornado #1 - 80
assault cannon
heavy bolter

landspeeder tornado #2 - 80
assault cannon
heavy bolter

landspeeder tornado #3 - 80
assault cannon
heavy bolter

HEAVY SUPPORT

dreadnought #4 - 130
venerable
assault cannon
storm bolter
extra armor

dreadnought #5 - 130
venerable
assault cannon
storm bolter
extra armor

dreadnought #6 - 130
venerable
assault cannon
storm bolter
extra armor

at times i have played this as a 2000 point list, in which case the HQ units become small infiltrating command squads, each with 2 epistolaries w/fury of the ancients. it's a really difficult army to handle because the dreadnoughts are so hard to kill when they're walking through difficult terrain. they're even tougher to crack open when they're in hand to hand supported by a librarian. the important things to remember are that they dish out a ton of assault cannon fire, they're cheap, and while equipped like this they are threatening during the shooting phase and in close combat. sometimes a venerable dreadnought just refuses to die! (helpful hint - any penetrating hit that doesn't kill a dreadnought should NOT be re-rolled with the venerable rule unless it is a life or death situation!)

#13 · (Edited)
These armies are fun to make, here's my shot. Target saturation is always good (more targets than the enemy has guns. It's what makes nidzilla and armored companies work). I thought about leading it with a techmarine but to be an effective repairer he would need a bunch of servitors which would make him a target. One tac squad to sit and shoot, one to go assaulting with the commander (most likely just playing midfielders or taking on MCs). The rest is pretty self-explanatory. 3 dreads to take out tanks at range very effectively (missile tac squad to help with this...would be a lascannon but points are tight). 3 dreads with assault cannons/ccws to ramp about the battlefield, taking on light vehicles, infantry, and heavy vehicles in a pinch. 3 Typhoons to zoom about decimating infantry squads or light vehicles and heavy vehicles in an absolute pinch. 11 infantry and 9 vehicles all told. Most armies don't have the firepower to knock out that many vehicles, especially since 6 of them are venerable dreads.

Traits:
Wise: Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients
Fierce: Take the Fight to Them
Drawbacks: Flesh over Steel (the irony is great) and Take Pride in Your Colors

HQ: 166
Master Commander: terminator armor + adamantine mantle + thunder hammer + bolt pistol
total = 166

Elites: 375
Dreadnought(assault cannon and dccw): venerable
total = 125

total = 125

total = 125

Troops: 220
Space Marines: 5 models with bolt pistols/ccws + sergeant with terminator honors and powerfist
squad total(5) = 105

Space Marines: base 75 (5 models) + sergeant with terminator honors and powerfist + missile launcher
squad total(5) = 115

Fast Attack: 240
Land Speeder Tornado: 80

Heavy Support: 495
Dreadnought(lascannon and missile launcher): twin-linked lascannon + missile launcher + venerable + tank hunter
total = 165

Dreadnought(lascannon and missile launcher): twin-linked lascannon + missile launcher + venerable + tank hunter
total = 165

total = 165

1496 points total.

#16 ·
a six dread army looks awesome!

i think a good idea with a dread army is too take a IC with command squad with flamers in a rhino to help cut down enemy numbers. this would help against horde armies cos with six dreads your gonna get so out numbered! the rhino is very likely to survive to get them close to the enemy cos the otherside will be to busy targeting dreads!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.