Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it is just me, but when reading HH books with the descriptions of Horus, I don't imagine him in the Terminator armour with no peripheral vision and huge quantities of plugs in his bald scalp.

I was just looking at the picture that is here : http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/BL/blog/2010/07/Age2.jpg

And while it is a nice fearsome depiction, that is completely at odds with the charasmatic, standing on the bridge looking out into space, wounded unto death by the anethma character I have in my head.

Anyone else, or am I the only one ?

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
The terminator armours lack of peripheral vision has always been a big issue of mine. Like you said i realise it looks intimidating and all that and probably give alot more protection, but yeah, complete sacrifice of peripheral vision and having to turn your entire body to look around seems like a big con

·
Unforgiven
689 Posts
Well, I think its clear that the picture you link, the armor is inspired by the "Horus standing over Sang vs the Emperor" picture.

Which, for some, is more "Artistic License" than it is a photographic representation. Liken it to Da Vinci's "Last Supper" to get my meaning. Sure, the painting is an image of an event that took place, but its composition, the setting, and the individuals' expressions, looks, clothing, etc are all just based on the artist.

So no, I dont think Horus really wore such a thing or looked like such. I have it in my head as a more of a "Paradise Lost" Lucifer during the war in heaven type deal.

Pardon the Christian heavy imagery, but I feel it conveys the point.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wasn't he described as handsome or at least not looking like he pissed at the world constantly?

I can't see the person depicted in the images saying "He was the best of us," when speaking about a brother.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Keep in mind that many changes came about for Horus when he turned against the Emperor. Is it no surprise that he would adopt a completely different look than the one he had been known for? The one that is most commonly associated with the Emperor and everything he stood for?

In regards to the terminator armour and lack of vision, amongst other things. Horus is still a primarch, his sense are beyond that of any other who would be in such an armour, and he is powered by the chaos gods. Maybe he just didn't need his peripheral vision because he would be able to sense or feel anyone sneaking up on him?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Maybe he just didn't need his peripheral vision because he would be able to sense or feel anyone sneaking up on him?
Or maybe he didn't need peripheral vision because he could stop nearly any attack that hit him. At that point, he wouldn't need peripheral vision to kick the crap out of his "sneaky" attacker.

Just sayin... peripheral vision seems kind of pointless when you gain the ability to shrug off tank rounds.

As for how Horus is depicted (noble and graceful vs. hateful and maniacal like in that piece of artwork), I think it exaggeratedly symbolizes his transformation.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But to this point in the Heresy, he is still "unenhanced" Would like a look at him pre-choas enhancement

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I still find lack of peripheral vision for any soldier a massive issue. Sure the armour looks cool but its still ridicolous to have no peripheral vision. Trust me on a battlefield its absoloutely essential

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
its 40k it doesn't really need to make much sense.
im sure there is probably enough sensor equipment in his terminator armour to alert him to any presence that maybe behind him and well he is a primarch so hes probably got extra sensory perception or something like that.
now i cant remember of the top of my head, but I'm sure before then he had already been gifted his terminator armour by the fabricator general, so I'm sure he would have started to look like that by then

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The peripheral vision thing shouldn't be a problem as terminator armour is supposed to have a bunch of extra scanners and other systems that normal power armour doesn't have (to the point that regular marines need adaptive surgery in order to use it properly) so someone wearing terminator armour doesn't need peripheral vision as the armour's sensors should pick anything up that tries to sneak up on them.
As for Horus's apearance in that picture, it's already during the heresy so I think the artist was deliberately trying to make him look evil. As Davidicus said, I think the artist was trying to symbolise how much Horus has changed from a noble & loyal son to a crazy & maniacal chaos lord. There is also mention in one of the heresy books (can't remember which one) after Davin where they describe Horus's look wearing his terminator armour that sounds quite sinister.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I would take this zas being artistic license drawn from by someone who didn't actually witness the events in question. For a start Horus should be wearing a sorta minty green armour iirc( can't remember wether his armour was black in any of the HH books and i've not read all of them) i'm pretty sure the armour of the Sons of horus wasn't painted black until a long time after the HH

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
No Horus had his Black Terminator armour toward the beggining of Galaxy in Flames. The picture seems alright to me. He's already got the chaos powers inside him so its expected he looks more fierce.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I still find lack of peripheral vision for any soldier a massive issue. Sure the armour looks cool but its still ridicolous to have no peripheral vision. Trust me on a battlefield its absoloutely essential
Okay yeah but as Darkreaver said hes a primarch he isnt ordinary soilder and dont FORGET Terminator armor or AKA real name is Tactical Dreadnought Armor its meant for troops in the field but proved to bulky and made them sluggish but proved its worth tha its made them really really hard to kill and in space ships/hulks because tight corriders a flamethrower your screwed and on top Horus had battlefield experiance of that of a thousand warriors he knows what hes's doing

·
Registered
644 Posts
Maybe if you were an ordinary guardsman, then sure. But being a Primarch that is also a potent psyker like Horus was - his sixth sense makes up for the rest of that.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Meh, i know what everyone means. But i just just imagine Primarchs as wanting to have a full uncomprimising view of their surroundings without having to rely on sensors no matter how advanced. Hence why none of the other Primarchs of the Emperor himself use Terminator armour. They all wear armour far beyond that of any other soldier, yet none of others wear armour that blocks their view

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
exactamundo...

·
Registered
47 Posts
actually, if you look at the picture that was done for the "fulgrim" book, youll see Fulgrim slashing away at, ummmm, hmmmm, you know (pause for research) AH! Ferrus Manus.
Ferrus himself is wearing some armor, but on his back is some strange barrel like thing/backpack and at the front of his face is a strange chin shield. Ferrus cant look behind him, heck, cant even look down with easy. total blind spot, but, up until he got owned by Fulgrim, it was never a problem.

{Credit due: goes to http://itkovian.blogspot.com/ since i pulled the pic from their website. apparently i cannot make the machine gods happy by following simple instructions and posting the website address and making it attach and sum such things. Fickle machine god!)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Did Ferrus really go into battle with an adjustable wrench ?

WTF...

Methinks the artists need to lay off the whatever it is they are smoking and realise these are all men who have had centuries of up close brutal combat and would be arrayed in a way that is less ostentatious and more combat functional.

Unless like Guilliman, they led from the back..(yeah, I don't like you poppa smurf)

They don't look like Primarchs. they look like two guys doing interpretive dance to an opera about combat between a chef and a plumber

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Did Ferrus really go into battle with an adjustable wrench ?

WTF...

Methinks the artists need to lay off the whatever it is they are smoking and realise these are all men who have had centuries of up close brutal combat and would be arrayed in a way that is less ostentatious and more combat functional.

Unless like Guilliman, they led from the back..(yeah, I don't like you poppa smurf)

They don't look like Primarchs. they look like two guys doing interpretive dance to an opera about combat between a chef and a plumber
Well I'm not sure about the look of Fulgrim's Sword but Ferrus Manus used a Hammer in his battle against the Emperor's Children Primarch not a giant wrench.

Guilliman probably did, technically, lead from the back quite often- when your Legion is that large it's difficult to always be at the vanguard :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Well keep in mind that unlike marines and normal men and women, primarchs were essentially walking gods. Whatever they wore and used was combat functional and effective. (Some primarchs waded into combat and got out with barely a scratch, while others felt honoured by their wounds. Combat effective can really mean little to people like that; for them as long as it works they are good to go.)

For all we know, that backpack thing you see there could actually be some sort of weapon that allowed Ferrus to attack at range while leaving his hands free.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts