Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question concerns the Imperial Defence Lines. If I have these installed in the middle of my board and not dedicated to any particular side, does the unit have to be in base contact for the 4+ cover save to be in effect ?

I got my Chaos cultists on one side and my Dark Angles on the other. So I was wondering if the cultists get an automatic 4+ cover save from the start or only if they approach the Defence Line in base contact.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
both sides if 25% cover would recive the cover...if your troop are say base to base then the enemy would not recive a cover... if the ADL is in the middle think of it like a wall or tree or any other terrain piece

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
All cover saves (not counting standing in area terrain, like a crater) are based on True Line of Sight. So as long as the model is sufficiently obscured (25% of their body or more, discounting weapons, capes, wings, backpacks and banners), you get a save, otherwise you don't.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Personal additional question related to this. IF you go to ground behind a defensive wall (like an aegis) you gain +2 to the cover save rather than +1. So if you have a guy 8" away from the wall shooting a guy 8" behind the wall, would he be able to get the +2 for going to ground there if he is obscured by 25% by this wall.
OR would you only get the bonus if you Go to Ground next to the wall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Defence Lines,
follow all the same rules for barricades and walls except that a unit that decides to Go to Ground behind a defence line gains +2 to its cover save, rather than +1.
My interpretation of the rule and what Zion said, is that you are behind the wall and line of site is affected, so you get +2. No mention of distance.
But Taking into account what Zion says, if I have a unit on top of building or rock or whatever, that model will have line of site and the wall wouldn't be covering the enemy. So in that case its not about distance to the wall but line of site.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts