Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start running a decimator in my army since I dislike Fiends and use all my heavy slots on preds anyway. But my question is decimator or two helbrutes since im thinking about a dual butcher cannon nurgle decimator an thats 260pts easily eclipsing the point cost of two helbrutes equiped any possible way I want to know everyones take on this and peoples experience with either dual helbrutes or a decimator would also be awesome. thanks

·
Registered
802 Posts
If your playing competitively I'd say neither - That being said the decimator is pretty easy to 1 shot in a turn - Only a 5++ and a 1/6 chance of getting up if wrecked. I'd go for the 2 hellbrutes on the basis that two walkers are better than one! Unless your really into your fluff or heavy conversion beamers decimators are kind of sucky for the price

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
I want to start running a decimator in my army since I dislike Fiends and use all my heavy slots on preds anyway. But my question is decimator or two helbrutes since im thinking about a dual butcher cannon nurgle decimator an thats 260pts easily eclipsing the point cost of two helbrutes equiped any possible way I want to know everyones take on this and peoples experience with either dual helbrutes or a decimator would also be awesome. thanks
I would say go for helbrutes.

But I haven't used a Decimator, but the basic principle is that their is two targets are better than one. (and you can put a lascannon in each and put out some cheeper tank hunting firepower).

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I would say bring three hell brutes over either option as low armor walkers only come into their own when spammed. Other wise I would advise in just taking something else all together.On the plus side three hellbrutes only cost from 300-330 if you cheap out on them so it won't break the bank.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Ally in a Soul Grinder is my own advice. 180 points for the ideal setup (Nurgle, Phlegm), and you get an AV 13, 4 HP walker with a battle cannon, some skyfire autocannon shots, and a 2+ cover save if he's crouching behind a ruin. Not to mention 4 S10 attacks in close combat...

The 80 points less than a Decimator can go towards the obligatory HQ and troops choices to an allied contingent. A Herald of Tzeentch with Grimoire in a squad of 10 Horrors is handy, since Horrors are scoring, never run away to enemy shooting, and can go to ground behind an ADL for a 2+ rerollable cover save, and the Herald can be slinging Prescience around (even if gone to ground) and Grimoiring whosoever he desires... including the Soul Grinder. That's 160, all told, which runs you to an allied contingent of 340 points--not too expensive, I daresay, for the durability & utility you can get out of that Soul Grinder, and the synergy & buffs out of the Horror/Herald unit. Can get a bit more expensive if you go for an ADL for the unit to crouch behind (which benefits the rest of the army), but they can camp in the ruin the Soul Grinder ought to be hiding behind as well, if need be.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
I've used the combo Mossy suggests, and it's very effective. Never used a Decimator, their stats just aren't impressive. If points are available, I'd always run a contemptor in its place.

Given the options you presented, I'd choose the Helbrutes. Lascannon/missiles for pewpew. New formations could be awesome. Considering you can buy a DV helbrute for about $10 shipped, if you run the default armament that's a very attractive option, especially if we get to deep strike them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have decided to shelf my helbrute indefinitely I will instead take a leman russ punisher with Pask since I already take guard allies with Iron Hand Straken to great affect and for the price of two helbrutes I can throw out 23 shots per turn that can glance armor 12 vehicles or reroll to would against monsters all at bs4 is nice and also means the death of flyers in my meta unless they focus that heat ray on it lol but thats anything that that crazy thing shoots

I thought we had retarded guns but that thing needs to be errattad to do to hit rolls on everything under the beam or something am I right?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd wait on the Helbrute formations. For instance, the Helcult makes it so you don't have to use a DA to babysit them, and the Helbrute can start using the cultists for cover saves.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Honestly, I'm reconsidering Helbrutes a bit, now that the new Formations for them came out. Use a Helbrute to make cultist squads Fearless, or Deep Strike a bunch of them...

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Yeah, in leaning towards deep striking assault dreads.

They were a mainstay of my lists in older editions. The whole . . . Possibility of doubling attacks when engaged was amazing. Several attacks base x2 + additional weapon + charging was awesome.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
And meltacide dreads with a power fist and multi-melta may have to roll on the Crazed table every turn, but as long as they don't get a Blood Rage on the turn they come in (when they can't assault), you can pretty much always have a good use for them, extra attacks or extra shots.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Why not use imperial knight rules for a Decimator? The model is about the same size it seems, and it basically is a chaos knight!!
Plus its such a waste to not use such a cool model due to sucky rules

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Mmmmm, the decimator is more like the size of a contemptor dreadnought than a knight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts