Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I donated my Space Marines as a Christmas present to my friends brother. I asked him what color/chapter he wanted to play so I would know what color to paint his Marines and he really likes the Fluff behind the Dark Angels. Then I asked him if he wanted to play Ravenwing or Deathwing and he decided to go with Deathwing.

Anyways, is there anything special I should know about Deathwing? I know he will need the DA Codex and some Terminators. I've never played with Marines let alone Deathwing to if anyone can give me some pointers to pass onto dude it would help.

Here is what I gave him.

Dreadnought TL-Lascannon + Missile Launcher

10 Marines

3 Bikers

1 Rhino

We play alot of City Fight so Bikes aren't really that nice of an option. I am looking for lists from 750-1000pts. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey there, I play deathwing and for 1000 pts, there isnt much you can do, id suggest 3 squads of terms with an assault cannon in each, Master Belail and a dread with an assaultcannon and CCW with extra armour and that will bring you right to 1000 pts (245/ term squad, 130 for the master, and 135 for the dread)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Frankly I would suggest neither the Deathwing nor the Ravenwing.
My best friend plays DA and both the Deathwing and Ravenwing need some impressive tactics to work correctly.
As much as I hate to say it, you should just have him stick to Tactical Squads.
Vanilla Marines (which is almost what the basic DA armylist is) are one of the best ways to introduce new players to the game.
Plus the DA's have the simplest codex right now.
Cheap rhino's...makes a guy a bit jealous.

Course, you never did say the guy was new...maybe I'm assuming too much...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
just do standard DA the ravenwing and deathwing are really difficult to handle.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yeah, you need a Belial model, but that can be pretty much everything you want, as no model is made for him. Also, you will need to boy one or two Dark Angels veteran box sets, as you need some bits from it. And since you're allready boying the kit, you might as well assemble it into a veteran squad.

Also, don't mix the squad weapons. You should have one "tactical" terminator squad with storm bolters and power fists (with an assault cannon) and one for close combat.

If you are fielding two termie squads, you should get a land raider for at least one of them. the other one can deep strike. In this case, a Ravenwing attack squadron will be usefull, as it has teleporter homers and can supply deadly anti-tank firepower.

Also, as a rule of thumb: all characters must have terminator armour!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yep i would go with lots of termies a few dreads and Belial if you want Deathwing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy played Eldar in 3rd edition, so technically he played before I did.

What I think might work is two five man Tac Squads, Termie Squad, Rhino, and a Dreadnought then some sort of Leader which I have no idea what to choose.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A pure DW army may be way too intense for a noob at TT. You're giving him like 16 models and 1 vehicle when the enemy can field like 40 and 2 vehicles. It wouldn't be efficient. Have him play combat patrol at 400pts or a small 500 or 750pt game with regular tact marines. That'll get him hooked a lot faster than him getting obliterated @ 1000pts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He knows how to play the game and he's not really a newb. He understands advanced tactics and the like, so I don't think he'll have a problem jumping right back into the game. He's watched my friend and I duke it out in some City Fights and normal games. Now I'm sure SM play a little different than IG and Orks but he'll be fine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
IMO IG and Orks are vastly different than SM. Some would consider both IG and Orks horde armies, rather than the always outnumbered SMs. While I agree that SMs are great to start with because every kids loves them and they look cool and everything, I don't think it would be wise to start with such a specialize group within the DA. But again, just my opinion. Good luck to him and you in all your games.

AA

·
Registered
267 Posts
Best thing to do is a "double wing if you really want to do DA and use terminators effectively.

1 squad of Deathwing with attached character of choice in termie armour

1 squad of ravenwing

scout move with bikers, then death wing assault with termies.

Boom, you should be about 24" deep into the table.

The rest you should fill up with tac squads, the DA and BA have the best loyalist marines in the game now-agruable better than CSM... Bolt pistols, bolters, krak grenades, frag grenades, vet sgt + ATSKNF.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts