Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Back to the forums after a bit of a long absence...

I've been a Tau player for a while now and was thinking of freshening up my gaming experience with a different atitude.

So I thought of a more "In your face" Army so to speak.
With the launch of the new edition of Dark Vengeance and the oportunity to aquire a cheeper version of the 7th edition rule book, I seized the oportunity to buy it with a friend and, not only get a new army but also have a possibility of aliance with my actual Tau warriors.

So I chose the Dark Angels army.

So I was doodeling with it and viewing the forums and came up (After some purchases of course) with the following army list that seemed interesting.

Please comment as much as you like. All imput will be most welcome:

Deathwing Army - 1499pts

No Force Organisation Slot
Deathwing Command Squad - 240pts
- 5 x Deathwing Terminators
- Plasma Cannon
- 1 Chainfist

Head Quarters
Belial - 190pts
- Storm Bolter and Sword of Silence
Librarian - 130pts
- Psyker Lvl 2
- Terminator Armour
- Storm Bolter and Force Sword

Elites
Deathwing Knights - 245pts
- 4 x Deathwing Knights
- Maces of Absolution
- Perfidious Relic of The Unforgiven
Venerable Dreadnought - 155pts
- Extra Armour
- Power Fist
- Heavy Flamer
- Plasma Cannon

Troops
Deathwing Terminator Squad - 250pts
- 4 x Deathwing Terminators
- 1 x Cyclone Missle Launcher
- 1 x Chainfist
Deathwing Terminator Squad - 289pts
- 5 x Deathwing Terminators
- 1 x Assault Cannon
- 1 x Chainfist

Please let me know what you guys think. I always have the feel I have no clue of what I'm doing. :laugh:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi guys!
I'd really apreciate some imput. I'm flying blind...
;-)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I would drop the Libby to put as many Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield combos as I can fit in, as well as getting a Drop Pod for the Dreadnought. My Stormbolter/Power Fist models have collected a ton of dust with how prevalent AP2/1 weaponry is. Aside from that bang away, Deathwing isn't a very competitive army but it's a really fun one.

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
I'd drop the Libby and the Dread and try and squeeze in another DWT squad, Deathwing Company Banner, Apothecary, Champion and fill up remaining points with TH/SS models

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Something also worth considering is that you have no answer to high AV vehicles outside of close combat and you have nothing to deal with fliers. My solutions to this is that Dark Angels can take Mortis Dreadnoughts who have Skyfire/Interceptor if they didn't move in the previous turn, and a Vindicare Assassin puts a lot of scare into armour with the 72" S10 AP2 ignores cover shot. My 1500 point Deathwing list is as follows:

Belial - TH/SS

Deathwing Knights

Mortis Dreadnought - 2x TLLCs

Mortis Dreadnought - 2x TLACs

5x Deathwing Terminators - 3x TH/SS, PC

5x Deathwing Terminators - 3x TH/SS, PC

Vindicare Assassin

Callidus Assassin

Sorry for the shorthand, I'm a bit pressed for time. It's not my most competitive list, but it's a lot of fun. Another key piece to ally in with any Deep Strike list is an Inquisitor with Servo Skulls, which reduce DS scatter in a 12" bubble by D6" (meaning you only scatter one D6).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, fellahs for the great input!

I sort of built this army as an oportunity once Dark Vengeance (7th) came out and I needed a new rulebook.

I thought: "What the heigh" and bought the set along with a friend who kept the Chaos little Buggers (Bless 'em...)

My main army belongs to the Greater Good. Yes, the filthy Tau Zenos, so I bought Dark angels as a nifty and fun Allied army to complement my defficient assault skills.

Since with DA I can make a full terminator Army I thought it would be loads of Fun to see them marching on the battlefield, but I'm not willing to spend that much on an army that will be more for allied functions, the ocasional odd game or to loan a friend so he can learn how to play.

So, all in all, I'm not looking for something competitive. Just trying to have fun (With some small tactical advantages, of course :grin:)

For those reasons, I don't intend to spend much more cash in buying contemptor dreads or Assasins. But thanks, Ntaw for the input. I would sure have gone for that army as main if it was the option. Great insights there.

I do, however like the Idea of a full assault army with Storm Shields and the drop Pod.

Some of my termies aren't assembled yet so giving them stormshields and maces and flails (Oh my...) seems dreamy.

I was already flirting with a drop pod I saw in a shop near where I live. Maybe I'll go for it. Like a forbidden pleasure I guess. :grin:

Once again, thanks a lot for the info, guys. It helped loads as to where to go next! :good:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
EDIT: Alright, here we are home with a beer. I just started working construction but kept my teaching job, so hello 13 hour days!

First off, Deathwing can't be taken as Troops unless you have Belial or Azreal in your army and their Detachment is your Primary Detachment. Only Azrael has the stipulation he must be your Warlord, you could still play dual Combined Arms Detachments of Tau and Deathwing and make your Tau HQ you warlord by using Belial if you wish.

I meant for you to take Mortis Dreadnoughts, not Contemptor Mortis Pattern Dreadnoughts. It's easy to confuse them, what with the near identical names...the key differences are that Mortis Dreadnoughts (who can only be taken by DA/DA successor armies) are built off the standard Dreadnought body but with paired weapons and Skyfire/Interceptor if stationary. For the same points as your current Dreadnought you could have a Mortis with two Twin Linked Lascannons. One Lascannon should have come with the kit you got with the Venerable, ordering one more garners you two twin-linked anti-air shots with potency. The Assassins can be allied to any army, and count as the Armies of the Imperium Faction so would be fine allies for your Tau if you were looking for multiple-use model purchases. Just suggestions of course, don't spend any money you don't want to.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that does change my perspective, Ntaw.

Regarding troops, I'm already stating Belial as the HQ so always available termies there.

Plus... The Belial model is Super Kewl.

I didn't fathom that I could just add a Twin-linked Lascannon to a dread and Call it a Mortis.

Are the rules for that Dreadnought anywhere available or are they Forgeworld? I didn't find them in the DA codex.

The assassins are Imperial guard, right? Do I have to add them as allies? From what you said I think not but, asking again never hurts. (Also kewl models by the way)

Thanks for the great input, mate!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Not a problem man, Deathwing armies are awesomely cool. Even my Belial has a TH/SS. It's just so much....better. Him and my Deathwing Knights have ruined many a squad, and Belial's no-scatter Deep Strike makes him perfect for taking advantage of any hole in my enemy's deployment. The Mortis Dreadnoughts are great so long as your opponent is cool with you using Forgeworld rules. This is the datasheet and this is the 6th edition update. No update to 7th was necessary. Assassins are their own Detachment comprising of one Elites selection (though any number of Assassin Detachments can be taken), and are from the Officio Assassinorum Faction. They count as Armies of the Imperium for the sake of the 7th edition rules for allies, on pg. 126 of the rulebook.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a Mill, Mate.

A lot to think about there...

I'll review the sheets and rethink things to improve what I've got.

I'll try to post a new army on as soon as I have overhauled everything.

Once again thanks for the LOADS of help.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
No problem man, glad to hear my comments got some good thought stirring. As an aside, I was wrong that you could have your Tau guy your Warlord if your DA detachment is your Primary. I found out yesterday that the detachment that your Warlord comes from is how you determine your Primary, so no shenanigans there unfortunately. You can still make any character from your DA detachment your Warlord since Belial doesn't have that stipulation to his rules, but it all depends on what your list ends up looking like as to whether there's somewhere you could better use a trait.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts