Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a longtime lover of the Emperor's Astartes. I even quietly admit I like the spiky ones, too, although don't tell anybody that otherwise the Inquisition will come blam me. So when Deathwatch came out, I was pretty excited, because it meant I could use all that cool stuff that has accumulated in my bits box over 15 years of collecting my own Space Marine Chapter and doing loads of commission work.

The army list looks something like this at 1850 points. Yes, I know this has some stuff that hates fun in it, but it's a concession to the state of the game. If we didn't have people running around with Imperial Knights and Lords of Skulls and all that nonsense, grav guns wouldn't exist, and moreover, wouldn't be something that's sadly obligatory in the game these days. If someone isn't planning on bringing bullshit, those squads will replace their grav guns with either meltaguns or plasma guns-- I haven't decided which yet.

CAD/
HQ/
Watch Captain Valinus, Lions Rampant
Artificer Armor, Lightning Claws

TROOPS/
Kill Team Murius
5 Deathwatch Veterans lead by Watch Sergeant Murius, Ultramarines. 5 grav guns.
--Drop Pod

TROOPS/
Kill Team Corubello
5 Deathwatch Veterans lead by Watch Sergeant Corubello, Angels Sanguine. 5 grav guns.
--Drop Pod

ELITES/
Kill Team Doniel
5 Deathwatch Terminators lead by Watch Sergeant Doniel, Angels of Absolution. 4 power fists, 1 chainfist, 5 assault cannons.

FAST ATTACK/
Eydric Setorax

FORMATION/
Aquila Kill Team

Kill Team Eumenicles
9 Veterans, 1 Librarian.
--Librarian Eumenicles, Mentors. Mastery 2; Force Sword, Bolt Pistol.
--4 Veterans with boltguns and close combat weapons.
--1 Veteran with infernus heavy bolter.
--2 Veterans with frag cannons.
--1 Veteran armed with a boltgun and power axe.
--Brother Ghensus, Blackshield [Astral Claws] armed with a power fist and boltgun.
--Drop Pod

FORMATION/
Aquila Kill Team

Kill Team Valinus
8 Veterans, 1 Librarian.
--Librarian Bellicos, Blood Ravens. Mastery 2; Force Sword, Bolt Pistol.
--3 Veterans with boltguns and close combat weapons.
--1 Veteran with infernus heavy bolter.
--2 Veterans with frag cannons.
--1 Veteran armed with a boltgun and power axe.
--Brother Zaphkiel, Blackshield [Dark Angels] armed with a power fist and boltgun.
--Drop Pod

Anyway, here's the first model done-- a Veteran with a bolter (Brother Donatus). I'm waiting for the Sector Imperialis bases to come in, which is why the base is blank.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Hey man, welcome back!

I don't know anything about death watch kill team other than the models look great.

That guy seems good but the photo is quite blurry.

How's the game store going?

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two more Deathwatch Veterans done- Grytt from Overkill and the Veteran with a power axe for Kill Team Valinus, Braum Icebreaker (of the Space Wolves Grand Company of Egil Ironwolf.)

This brings Kill Team Valinus up to five-strong ready to fight. I haven't decided if it makes sense to do their drop pod next, or finish the other four models in the squad first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
oldschool ? you mean all space marines used to have red bolters ? lol I'm new to the consept and if they used to use red bolters... i'm not suprised that they changed the color of the bolters to black later on... lol

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Fashions change with the times and all that :laugh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
The darker red looks cool. It has a dried blood look to it :smoke: but i have to admit i don't dig the bright red... i'm not a guy who is really in to fashion and all but bright red bolters... i mean come on... lol

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Personally I am loving all of this –you paint to such a high standard that even if bright red is a little wonky (as all of 40k used to be, and honestly I kinda miss it), the models still work wonderfully and it kinda fits tbh. Keep up the good work!

*EDIT* actually now that I look at it again, the red doesn't even look out of place –it creates a really nice contrast with the beautifully executed grimdark

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finished another Veteran for the first kill team. Brother Calvallo, Crimson Fists. This is what the squad looks like at the moment:

I also made sure to keep his crimson fist. I've tried to incorporate as much Chapter heraldry on everybody as I can manage.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today, I finished the Blackshield for Kill Team Valinus, Brother Zaphkiel (Dark Angels). I thought the blurb in the Codex about Fallen Angels appearing as Blackshields was cool enough that I wanted to make sure I included one in the army. Besides, the bits they give you in the Deathwatch Veterans kit is very Fallen Angels-y.

And while it's definitely not exciting, I finished up the drop pod for Kill Team Valinus. I usually just airbrush the bottom half of a drop pod to appear scorched and then dirty from slamming into the ground. But on something that's predominantly black anyway, I'm not sure the effect really shows the way it does on something brighter colored.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brother Pharus Surr, Brazen Claws.

And the Kill Team as it currently stands-- all that's left to finish this unit is one more model- Brother Kel'shann, Salamanders, with an Infernus Heavy Bolter.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The detail is great. The red bolters make them really stand out :)
The drop pod looks awesome! Especially the shading on the doors, looks like it has been worn out by use.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts