Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Why, oh why, did we get scans of some shit rules that nobody will ever ever use instead of the Genestealer Cult rules we all wanted to see!?
Well i'd like to use the Kill-team as an ally to my Mechanicus army.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
...why, may I ask? I get that the Deathwatch is a cool thing in the fluff, but why would you use this at all?
As a more durable range squad to support my Skitarii and draw some fire from them as they advance. Perhaps not the whole squad but rather the Donatus half-squad, focus on the range guys and cut the melee guys entirely.

LotN

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
175pts seems like an awful lot for 5 Sternguard, even with the pretty good ranged weapon. 15pts more would buy you 5 Grey Knight Terminators with a Psycannon, which trades off AP3 for double the shots and AP4 Rending. Sure, no special ammo, but double the shots at 24" range, and to be honest if we're talking about 24" range then 4 special ammo Boltguns aren't making any kind of appreciable difference to your army. The GKT are about a million times better in combat, far tougher with 2+/5++ instead of 3+, and can actually shoot what they want to because of Deep Strike and Relentless.

I mean, to each their own, but I don't see how anyone would use this over other options other than because they think that alien hunters are cool and the colour scheme's neat.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I don't like em.

Squad Donatus is no better than standard Veterans, aside from a few one-off rules per model.

The individual elites (terminator, bike, jetpacks) do NOT have the IC rule, which mean they can't be added to squads. They are lone wolves, doomed to First Blood. Now, they do have amusing rules and stuff for them, but they're not able to really support anything. Plus, their rules are a little... weird. For instance, the biker has Split Fire, which only is useful in the large formation (which I'll get to). The Terminator has 2 guns, but no rule to fire them both. Things like that.

As for the large 535 point formation... Meh. The Jumppacks and Bike are locked down to the speed of the infantry, and the entire squad can't Sweep because of the terminator. You can't take a transport (bikes can't be transported, and even if they could, with Bulky jump packs, this squad is worth 16 models, which limits it to an expensive LRCrusader)

It's just a target.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
326 Posts
But, it looks cool. Not as cool as a genestealer cult, but definitely cool. And I don't usually think much of marines.
Truth! Though I can't tell if some of the cultists are wearing bodysuits, or that's just their chitin...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Did that Librarian seriously pay 5 points and limit himself to the Biomancy tree just to gain special issue ammunition for his *gasp* bolt pistol?!

I know the rules look terrible, but I can't shake the feeling I missed something there.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Did that Librarian seriously pay 5 points and limit himself to the Biomancy tree just to gain special issue ammunition for his *gasp* bolt pistol?!

I know the rules look terrible, but I can't shake the feeling I missed something there.
At least with him, he's an IC, so you could theoretically put him into a different unit somewhere so his Biomancy could buff people, along with his force sword.

That's part of my issue with these guys. Each one seems to be built for rule of cool, but not a lot of thought into the tactics of the units.

I still want to know why anyone would pay 500+ points to have a squad that can't take advantage of all of its modes of transportation.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Love what is on offer with the game. All the models look at least pretty good to damn good. The big thing I'm wanting out of this is to take the Genestealer cult and use that in a Necromunda game. Also, they need to bring Necromunda back so that I can do such a thing.
The kill team looks good. Each one looks properly differentiated.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts