Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's clear enough to see they look better than the Wulfen.
It's always the poses I'm looking for. GW cares a lot about the detail of their models, but some of the 'one pose only' stuff is...well....shit terrible.

Real question to everyone:

Do you care at all about the alleged mini-game or is it all just for the minis?

·
Registered
326 Posts
It's always the poses I'm looking for. GW cares a lot about the detail of their models, but some of the 'one pose only' stuff is...well....shit terrible.

That's true. I liked modeling my Death Company slash makeshift Sternguard a lot more than tactical marines for that very reason. My Skitarii Vanguard were also annoying because every model had a specific leg, arm and two-piece torso combination (and I realized that after cutting everything off the sprue and laying them out to glue together like an assembly line. Took me all damn night to sort it out).

I'm more interested in a minigame. I have enough to worry about with my AdMech army to build.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts

Which brings the question round again.

How can we incorporate these minis? Calth was easy; you could mass produce armies out of what they give you. And Execution Force gave you four models, and each had statlines.

But what will this do?

Assuming it's 10 very unique models in a Kill Team/Mordheim style, they'd be good for conversions, but on small scale because you're getting one of each chapter per box. Great if you want to convert, for instance, a Dark Angels Champion, but these kit seems less than useful for a 'squad' of Deathwatch out of sternguard, like most were hoping for.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
And Execution Force gave you four models, and each had statlines.
I guess those Chaos models aren't included anymore?

But what will this do?
This could be playable as a Formation or as a throwback to the Last Chancer's Dirty Dozen kinda theme. Playing them as basically anything else would be pretty god damned lame since (at present) two models have jump packs and want close combat and everyone else wants to stand and shoot.

I think they would entirely work better in a game situation on their own, just like how the Last Chancers used to be. Hmm.....maybe I rework those rules into 7th edition....

I'm actually kinda loving that @Mr. Jar and @Tyriks are stoked on the game. I know 5-8 people with the Calth box that don't even know how many game tiles came with it :laugh:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
To be honest, I don't care about the models (30k all the way!). However, if it is a mini-game ala-Space Hulk and comes with Space Hulk-esque tiles, I'll be picking one/a few up for some Zone Mortalis battles tiles.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'll be picking one/a few up for some Zone Mortalis battles tiles.
This is what was recently suggested in my group as a use for the Calth tiles. Now I want to cut 3" foam into channels and make my own ZM table...it could be so much fun!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I guess those Chaos models aren't included anymore?
I assume they are. But at the time, it was the only way to get the assassins, so who cared?

This could be playable as a Formation or as a throwback to the Last Chancer's Dirty Dozen kinda theme. Playing them as basically anything else would be pretty god damned lame since (at present) two models have jump packs and want close combat and everyone else wants to stand and shoot.
I never even considered the ramifications of different movement options. It's a good point. But I don't think it will be a unit. I really think that this formation will tell you to play the 10 characters as just that. Characters. Not ICs, not as a unit, but as 10 individual models who CANT join other squads, etc. Each one with lots of special wargear and stuff.

The kicker will be whether the formation will end up needing so many books to use, because maybe the DA champion uses DA wargear, while the Wolf has his own, etc etc.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The kicker will be whether the formation will end up needing so many books to use, because maybe the DA champion uses DA wargear, while the Wolf has his own, etc etc.
I seriously doubt that. GW is, for better or worse, trying to make things playable out of the box. If these aren't reserved for a mini-game I would surmise that they would come with a datasheet containing the full rules for such characters in their packaging or in a White Dwarf.

It would be absolutely painful to need four Codices to play ten models, and the BA model at least has a hand flamer which is book-specific I believe.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Using those awesome deathwatch models in 40k won't be hard as I can make up the rest of the models for the squads they're in using the upgrade sprues I have, using them with the first company formation from the space marine codex. However unless they release gene stealer and deathwatch rules for 40k then the stealer cult are gonna be useless for the main game, which would be a tremendous shame cause they rock. I will be buying this release however.

Edit: just had a thought about another use for the stealer cult, necromunda had rules for stealer cults back in the day so that's always an option.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
F*CK ME THOSE ARE GORGEOUS!!

Ok so now we have the entire line-up for Deathwatch: Overkill. In it we will get;

10 x Deathwatch Marines

12 x 1st/2nd Gen Hybrids
8 x 3rd/4th Gen Hybrids w/Autoguns
4 x 3rd/4th Gen Hybrids w/Grenade Launchers
2 x Purestrain Genestealers
2 x Hybrids w/Mining Laser
2 x Aberrants w/Power Hammer
2 x Aberrants w/Power Pick
2 x Genestealer Familiars
1 x Magus
1 x Primus

I will definitely be buying this.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
However unless they release gene stealer and deathwatch rules for 40k then the stealer cult are gonna be useless for the main game, which would be a tremendous shame cause they rock.
GW likes money, and no mini-game they've released in the last years has models that can't be used in 40k. I wouldn't be surprised if we get Genestealer Cult and Deathwatch mini-Codices a la Inquisition or Assassins, or at the minimum simple datasheets to include them in games of 40k. Heck this might even lead to a new or updated Tyranid Codex, who knows? I seriously doubt that these models will be mini-game only.

Those models look friggin' sweet, with the sole exception of the Aberrants. They look like they've just had 'stealer bits glued onto spots of them as opposed to there being some sweet flesh-to-stealer action like we've seen in dozens of Chaos models with former self to Warp influenced self. More so with the power pick ones, just looks like a half decent kitbash. If this game blows me away with its awesomeness and I end up getting it :)laugh:) I would definitely be adding some Kneadatite to those joints and making it look more like skin mutating into Genestealer hide.

Can't wait to see some gameplay videos from GW.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
"Cassius's kill team"? Ultramarine Chaplain Cassius??

EDIT: Yes, yes it is. Younger too, much like Calistarius (Mephiston) from Space Hulk. Way to go GW! You regress that storyline!!

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I am posting again.

DEATHWATCH GETS A HANDHELD FRAG CANNON?

The nerd rage is too much for me to deal with.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts