Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the Blast rules work for the deathstrike launchers? is it just measured in inches or do you get a barrage blast (apoc blast)? I cant figure this one out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If I remember correctly you get a 2d6" explosion?

Put a Die in the middle, and measure out from it, anything within the range, is hit.
If you get 10" you can use a 10" template to use, but if you get less, it´ll be harder to measure if you want to use a template.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought it was 3d6 + 3? In inches, of course.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I thought it was 3d6 + 3? In inches, of course.
It is D3+3" Radius - so if you get a 2 on the roll you have a 5" radius explosion. The blast marker sizes you get for the 'normal' 40k blast markers are given as diameter, so even the smallest explosion will be bigger than any of those.

Your best bet is just to measure it out, as with the variable blast you'd need to be carrying 3 different (huge) blast markers around to use if and when it goes off.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
if you can get a thin sheet of clear plastic you could mark out all the possible blast radius on that, saves having to figure it out in any other way and saves time.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Remember as well that it is not like a regular Blast weapon and has no central "hole" per say. All vehicles within the rolled range take the S10 hit.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
It is D3+3" Radius - so if you get a 2 on the roll you have a 5" radius explosion.
Just to follow on.

This is the large round 'pizza plate' blast marker from the apocalypse set (as opposed to the ice-cream cone or cloverleaf) - the 10" one. If you manage to roll a 3, then it is a 6" radius which is even larger.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So a regular large blast is going to be bigger most of the time, hmm. Would you guys use this or soak points into something more reliable?

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I'd use it just for fun, heck I want three of them, the fun would be just too much not to do, plus they'd make great scenario pieces.

·
Imperial Major
383 Posts
So a regular large blast is going to be bigger most of the time, hmm. Would you guys use this or soak points into something more reliable?
Regular large blast be bigger? If I read you correctly then your wrong. If I am correct then the large blast template is 2.5" radius whereas the smallest deathstrike blast is 4" radius.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
If you take it you need three, they need camo cloaks and just sit them in cover. Sometimes they work and go off when you want. Sometimes they don't and the enemy destroys them. Either way I think they are fun to use and as long as they can't blow up they will scare the crap out of your opponent which might throw his game plan off.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The regular large blast has a 2.5" blast radius. So no, the regular large blast will never be bigger than a deathstrike blast. The deathstrike's blasts will either be 4", 5" (that's the largest apocalypse blast), or 6".

As to whether or not I'd use one, in a competitive game I definitely wouldn't. If, by chance, it even manages to survive until turn 2, you still only have a 1/3 chance of it actually firing, and I doubt it'll survive past then. As was mentioned earlier, if you really want to use one, you'd best fill your heavy support slots with them and give them camo so they get a better cover save. Then they might survive.

But, in a more fun or 'fluffy' army, I'd say go for it. I have three in the mail right now (well, one's going to be a manticore...), so I'm not dead-set against using them. I think they could be a lot of fun, but considering a Leman Russ is 10 points less than a deathstrike... well, there are more survivable and reliable things you could be spending points on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts