Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete theory hammer!

Vampire lord w/Blooddrinker, Flayed hauberk, Crown of the damned, Red fury, Supernatural Horror, Infinite hatred and Nightmare = 425

Necromancer w/Book of Arkhan = 90

40 Ghouls = 320

40 Ghouls = 320

Corpse Cart w/Bale Fire = 100

24 Grave Guard w/ Full command and Banner of the Barrows = 363

4 Fell bats = 60

Black coach = 200

5 Bloodknights w/Full command, Flag of blood keep and Sword of might = 415

total = 2503.

So basically, Bog standard Blooddrinker/bloodknight deathstar. With two big units of ghouls and a large unit of accurate GG.

With 3 Balefire CCs, enemy wizards within 24" are at -3 to cast, and the black coach drains power dice from both sides. Lvl2 and a Lvl1 dispelling at 2.5k isn't too bad either.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Your relying on a level 2 and a level 1 to keep your army moving? As Aramoro said in the other thread, you have 800 points tied up in one unit, and all its waiting for is purple sun/dwellers/Pit of shades. And your opponent will know how deadly they are. So everything he has will go at them. Next thing you know your down 800 points.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I would be very tempted to have a Wight King BSB in there. Purely because you're using the Crown of Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. A failed Stupidity test at the wrong moment can be devastating. Would be a 120 points for a Mounted Wight King BSB

And get a dispell scroll in there as well as protection.

Aramoro

·
Registered
885 Posts
I've faced a very similar army and it can be very effective but is vulnerable to flaming shooting and magic and killing blow attacks. You will be vulnerable to heavy artillery and shooting but can have good magic defense with the coach eating up power dice (1+ per magic phase) and by upgrading to a lvl 3 vamp lord. Protect the coach until it becomes ethereal and avoid magic shooting and attacks and the coach is very tough to kill in support of the blood knight unit.

The Wright King BSB with or without the regen banner is needed for the blood knights (re-roll frenzy checks and CR). Also, if you're that invested in a unit, exploit it and beef it up. I'd be running at least 8 blood knights and the wright BSB with another vamp in that unit. The ability of the Vamp Lord to resurrect knights by killing in combat is a key component of the strategy. I'd shift to more Vamps and run at least a lvl 3 and a couple lvl 1's and drop the necro and some of the corpse carts. Also, the black coach will eat up power dice, so focus on fighting vamps and don't count on magic. Use Black Per. to carry unused power dice over to the next magic phase to dispel and to carry over unused dispel dice (due to miscasts or failures to cast leading to not using them) to your magic phase. One strategy is to use cheap bound spells and level 1 vamps to make single dice cast attempts. You have no risk of miscasts and a failed casting attempt has no effect because the caster only needs to make one casting attempt per turn. If successful, they will tend to eat up dispel dice and stretch the possibilities for the lvl 3 to successfully cast the big spells in vamp lore (which can be very strong).

·
Registered
73 Posts
i wouldnt even worry about shooting, thats one unit now no matter how you run in a flank charge from anything even remotely resembling a hydra, minos, knights, white lions, swordmasters, and you've already lost the battle, if your going for a bloodbus you have to go all out with 8-10 blood knights otherwise its a deathstar but its got a hole a lot bigger than what skywalker shot through, and they only have their two up armour save in combat a single s6 razorgor chariot on the charge would kill two blood knights. this is why the wolfstar/dogstar is superior.....cheaper more models, regen banner, and larger flank with the new stepping up rules all your charcters HAVE to fight, oh and your necromancer is just dead weight, hope i wasn't too critical :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts