Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to use the deathleaper/lictors it seems to me the way they arrive is just terrible, the way i see it is:

on your turn they pop out near something they want to attack but can't move or assault on the turn they arrive so they have to just stand there, in your opponents turn bam 1 str 8+ weapon and they die....

am i missing something or do they totally rely on you having so many more units in prime places to take priority of fire away from them?

i'm asking cause i like the idea behind them and want to try them out but i can't get it out of my head that they will deploy and die b4 they even get to move

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Nah. Ya got it right. Except that a flamer and a couple of boltgun rounds are enough to kill it off.

The only use of lictors I see is that they help the spore pods arrive if playing a spore list.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
I dont bother with the Lictors and just go straight for the DL since he is awesome and no garuntee of death like the standard lictors. But ill admit that his points are kinda biig though

·
Registered
41 Posts
They require proper positioning and a little finesse but can be extremely effective. Position them in ways that makes your opponent to commit units to kill them while also drawing those units away from whats fighting your main force.

Also, try and use them in unconventional methods.

For example, a marine/ig army has his tanks lined up blasting you from afar (think baal predators and all those shots ripping up your gaunts). Drop a lictor/deathleaper behind them, ideally in cover (remember if you have a brood of 2 lictors you only need 1 in cover to get the cover save). Flesh hooks are Str6 with two shots, so a brood of 2 lictors is more than likely going to score a penetrating hit on 10 rear armor. In the opponents shooting phase, if he turns around to blast you, go to ground for a 2+ cover save and he wastes a round of shooting.

Also, Deathleaper's leadership reducing ability combined with a broodlord and shadows of the warp special rules can really mess up a rune priests day, saving your tervigons from JOTWW.

Basically, they aren't the same lictors they were in previous editions, and certainly aren't the most killy unit in the codex, but when used properly they can be a great distraction/disruption unit. Try to position them in ways that they minimize line of sight from enemy fire and maximize distance from other units. This is particularly effective with deathleaper's special rule, as anything outside of 18" won't even have a chance at shooting him. Also avoid putting them near units with template and rapid fire weapons. Abuse cover and go to ground to force the opponent to either commit a lot of firepower killing them, thus drawing shots away from your heavier stuff, or leave them alone in which case they are free to assault whatever they are near on the next turn.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Lictors aren't really worth it IMO. They appear and die. For a combat unit, they don't have a good delivery system, and aren't all that tough. Oh, and they are Elites, which means they are competing with Thropes and Hive Guard.

Deathleaper is a different story. Sure, he ain't much tougher than a normal Lictor, or more killy, but he has a tonne of rules to make up for it. His ability to disappear helps stop him from getting killed, and lets him pull last turn contesting shenanigans.

Add in his ability to knock D3 off a Psykers LD to make it harder for them pull off that annoying power. Combined with SiTW you can shut down most Psychic powers.

Added to his other rules, like slowing people down, reserve bonus, scatter help and what not, you can see why he's much better than his lesser Lictor cousins. Used right, I think he's the 3rd top Elite choice.

Hive Gaurd and Zoanthropes are more solid choices, but Deathleaper is an interesting and tricksey support unit. Given a fourth Elite slot, I'd take him first.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Lictors aren't really worth it IMO. They appear and die. For a combat unit, they don't have a good delivery system, and aren't all that tough. Oh, and they are Elites, which means they are competing with Thropes and Hive Guard.

Deathleaper is a different story. Sure, he ain't much tougher than a normal Lictor, or more killy, but he has a tonne of rules to make up for it. His ability to disappear helps stop him from getting killed, and lets him pull last turn contesting shenanigans.

Add in his ability to knock D3 off a Psykers LD to make it harder for them pull off that annoying power. Combined with SiTW you can shut down most Psychic powers.

Added to his other rules, like slowing people down, reserve bonus, scatter help and what not, you can see why he's much better than his lesser Lictor cousins. Used right, I think he's the 3rd top Elite choice.

Hive Gaurd and Zoanthropes are more solid choices, but Deathleaper is an interesting and tricksey support unit. Given a fourth Elite slot, I'd take him first.
Agreed, thats why he tends to be an automatic pick for most lists i write, sometimes ahead of the Hive or Zoans. He is just so cool, his rules are reealy nice, plus sometimes you can shock an oppenent just by having him because most people ive spoken to just expect Zoan and/or Hive filling your elite slots, so people arent ready/used to seeing him so it take them for a loop. Yes his points are kinda high, but that seems to be the case with most named creatures in the 'Nid dex so its something you just need to ignore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts