Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fellow heretics, I have decided to put my filth ridden Death Guard and their allies in search of perfection and debauchery, on display for all to judge. Be kind (or don't be, I don't mind), but most of all be truthful.

I have played WHFB before and decided to get stuck into it but with Warriors of Chaos (instead of high elves which is where i started from) after my brother bought some skaven, played some games blah blah blah - now we are fully into 40K for the first time!

My army, obviously, dedicated to to God of disease and pestilence, and their newfound allies devoted the the Dark Prince, is CSM.

This is their story!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
first back.jpg

first stage.jpg

second.jpg

This is my Hellbrute, first stages of painting.

near complete.jpg
Mechanicum smurf at his feet after he crushed his tank!

Phone 252.jpg

new phone 002.jpg

That's about it for that guy. More pictures to come!

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I like what you have done so far; perhaps its face could be made a bit more detailed, but otherwise it looks fine. Will be fun to see how you will continue with them.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
That scheme is beautiful - you've balanced it nicely so your eyes are drawn to all the right places :victory:

My only suggestion would be to add a bit more colour to the base - it might just be the light but it looks very flat compared to the model. A quick drybrush over basing material does wonders to bring out the detail.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you haven't seen this already then allow me to introduce you to Papa Nurgle himself
Hey Awfun, and fellow heretics. As a matter of fact I have seen his work and admire it a lot. Unfortunately I am not that way gifted in the artistic side of things, but I try to put my own into my minis.

perhaps its face could be made a bit more detailed
Saint, I know what you mean, but from a distance, it looks decent enough (for my standards anyway - but i am always trying to improve my painting with each mini)

My only suggestion would be to add a bit more colour to the base - it might just be the light but it looks very flat compared to the model. A quick drybrush over basing material does wonders to bring out the detail.
Varakir, I did this base, along with my cultists, with GW sand and tufts of grass. Since then I have been using the Stirland Mud texture paint. It's on the list to scrape off and re-do with the paint to fit it into the scheme of my army.

Thanks Khorne, Wookie and Blighted for the comments. Appreciate it. More pictures to come today.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My cultists in full force, again the bases need to be redone in the Stirland Mud.

20130611_140258.jpg

20130709_121202.jpg

dukes avengers.jpg

The champion with the shotgun is named Duke (like Duke Nukem) muhahaha.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The champion with the shotgun is named Duke (like Duke Nukem) muhahaha.
NICE :victory:

Those cultists look fantastic, when i finally paint my DV chaos i hope they look this good.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Hey there, I think the cultists are looking good. I like the color contrast between the green of the clothes and the warm flesh tones. Which is somewhat atypical, many nurgle devotees go for a pale or pallid skin tone.

The dreadnought er helbrute has some good and some bad things going on. I like the skeleton dangling from the chains. That was a nice touch.

First a few simple things. I'm still seeing mold lines and join lines between the pieces. Those will always detract from the model no matter how well painted it is. They might even take away more from a well painted model.

The dirty bone color is far more successful than the green, and has a really nice gradation texture. The green is more flat, and the highlighting isn't as consistent which leads it to look more plastic.

I'm not sure that the frag launchers are really adding anything.

The metal trim is mostly looking really nice, especially with the bone areas. Again it isn't as good with the green. It looks like there is some additional texture in the metal trim around the face, either from heavy handed dry brushing, bad spray primer, dust in the primer, or it might be a jpg artefact. It's hard to tell which.

Also the sections of ribbed tubing could use another wash (argrax nightshade) and another bone highlight.

I would also encourage you to pick out the studs in a different metallic color. I think a mostly desaturated color like scorpion brass might work.

I think the problem with the green is the highlight. The highlights are flat and are too big a jump from the base color.

I hope that's helpful!
And keep up the good work!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still seeing mold lines and join lines between the pieces.
Thanks for the feed back Kreuger! I'll give you the reason why you still see "mold lines", because they aren't... exectly... You see, I did scrape away the lines, then glued it all together with superglue and.... saw the Hellbrutes face sitting there on the desk, so i had to surgically pry it apart (i used a scalpel) and put his face in and glues him back together, I did my best to cover the lines up but it wasn't a very good job!

I'm not sure that the frag launchers are really adding anything.
Just some smoke launchers for something different.

The metal trim is mostly looking really nice, especially with the bone areas. Again it isn't as good with the green. It looks like there is some additional texture in the metal trim around the face, either from heavy handed dry brushing, bad spray primer, dust in the primer, or it might be a jpg artefact. It's hard to tell which.
probably one of the parts they add in the agrax earthshade, as there is about 4 - 5 coasts of it on this particular model!

As for the highlighting, I'm trying to do "low lights", I dont particularly want bright vibrant colours on this Death Guard army, going for the dull rotten look. I could go over it with Nurgling Green as opposed to Elysian Green.

·
3,351 Posts
Hey, I'm glad it's helpful. I Definitely wasn't suggestion "high" highlights on the green. I think the green highlights ares too flat and bright as it is. The flatness contributes a blotchy look, but not in a nice diseased way.

You might want to consider some stippling on the green to give it a little more texture, maybe even some streaky washes of browns, blacks, greens, or dull reds oozing from the holes, the folds , and the cables.

I took another look and done of the trim around the head is still green and could be tightened up.

I think the other conceptual issue I'm having, is that the green being as flat as it is is throwing me because it's also the "fleshy" part if the model which might otherwise have more texture and variation.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is one of the Lords of the Death Guard. Lord Eliphas, the Inheritor!

lord together.PNG

lord back.PNG

boasting a golden trim and a murder sword.

cape.jpg

and a dead bear or something :shok:

Attachments

·
3,351 Posts
Well, bronze doesn't really "rust" like iron but it does oxidize and form a dark patina and develop verdigris.

You might be able to do some of that with dirty washes and some speckling with warp lock bronze (which is basically the color of tarnished bronze).

Add to that some light-dry dabs of light blue-turquoise-white and you'll have done mangy looking bronze.

P.s. I think the Lord is looking really good. He does have a few spots where he isn't as dirty as elsewhere, and a few spots where the washes dried unevenly, but otherwise he's solid.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i feel as if the bronze
bronze doesn't really "rust" like iron but it does oxidize and form a dark patina and develop verdigris
Its gold trim, gold doesn't rust :). As for the bits that are "cleaner" than most, I am to assume you mean the green "cloth" with the face in it? I didn't want to over do it as I kinda fluked the effect of part of his armour being alive.

·
3,351 Posts
Gotcha. The gold looks fairly reddish in the photos so I would have bought that it was good old dwarf bronze or beaten copper.

I actually meant the green parts of the hands which don't look like they got a good washing yet. And the green interleaving plate between the upper arm and the shoulder pauldron.
And the green bits peaking out between the trim on the inside of the left arm and the regular arm armor plates.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts