Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trouble with starting a new army is to what direction you wish to take them. :ireful2:

The inspiration to do a Pre-Heresy Death Guard was from the rather amazing
D.G featured on the Bell of Lost Souls site. :victory:

The problem is as a painter not a gamer I'm floundering as to what & who goes were in the army. :(

Can anyone give me any idea's as to what & what not to put together IE does the D.G have Devastator squads or Assault squads as well as Librarians?

And if that's not enough to get the brain cells working, what is the correct colour scheme ( white with green. Grey & green or off-white & green ) :mad:

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
The Death Guard believed that victory came through sheer relentlessness. Their weapons, while not ornate, functioned without flaw. They did not manoeuvre in fanciful patterns to confuse the enemy, instead standing their ground and waiting for the enemy assaults to falter before striking back with fatal force. Any environment or situation Mortarion and his advisors could not compensate for, the Death Guard would overcome through sheer stubborn resilience.

Mortarion learned warfare on a world almost covered in mountainous terrain, and even though his massive intellect allowed him to grasp the use of tanks and vehicles, the primacy of the foot soldier remained the Death Guard's trademark. Each Marine was well trained in a variety of disciplines, able to function in almost any role or environment.

Because Mortarion based the Death Guard heavily on infantry, the Death Guard are short some measure of fast assault vehicle and heavy weapons. As a result, Death Guard without Terminator Armour normally have to settle for special weapons such as the Melta Gun and Plasma Gun to replace Heavy weapons such as Lascannons and Autocannons. Also, because the Death Guard are infantry based, a Death Guard army can be made solely of marines with no vehicles whilst still functioning as well as any other army.

Their Pre-Heresy colors were marble white with green trims and decorations. The legion symbol was a skull within a spiked ring, like a star. Also before Mortarian took command of the Death Guard they were previously known as the Dusk Raiders.

For more information on the pre-heresy Death Guard I recommend reading "Flight of the Eisenstein" by James Swallow. It is a Horus Heresy novel that describes basically the fall of the Death Guard to Chaos and how one company of Death Guard resisted the fall and stayed loyal to the Emporer. A neat idea would be to base your army on this company that stayed loyal to the Emporer and upon Captain Garro who lead them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh Crap!

Thanks for the great insight, I'm rather depressed though. :suicide:

Had thought along the lines of adding old school devastators & assault troops with old Raptor back packs. Think it's time to go back to the drawing table, Bummer!! :angry:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
As far as i was aware from flight of the eisenstein, the base colour was actually unpainted metallic armour, with green trim (possibly introduced later) and little other ornamentation. I'm not sure where the marble white has come from. Aside from that, everything else bishop has said is completely correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts