Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have not bought any of the models for this list yet, but I do want some advice as to what I should get. I already have an idea of the starting bulk.

Typhus as HQ

2 units of 30 zombies

2 units of 10 Plague Marines

and 2 Rhino tanks

So far this list with upgrades and such come to about 1250 points. I should have everything for this beginning army bought by June. Yet after that I will be buying everything else slowly.

So what else would be a good addition. I know I want to get a Daemon Prince, maybe a Helldrake, and Terminators. What else would be a good investment?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I often play death guard and so here are my tips/problems I run into.

First, I think 30 plague zombies in a squad is too many. I don't think you need that many, especially since they are fearless. I would cut it down to 20 and run 3 squads of 20.

Second, 10 plague marines is usually more then you need too and is quite the expensive squad. I usually run 7, since that is Nurgle's sacred number. Though I'm usually told to run 6 because apparently that is a very efficient number (I have not done the number crunching myself). Usually I would throw these squads in rhinos with 2 x plasma each, then usually a combi-plasma. Of course that is totally up to you how you arm them and such :). Point being, you probably don't need a whole squad of 10 and its too many points anyway. I would even think about getting one more plague marine and running 21 total, 3 squads of 7, but you probably don't need that many plague marines.

Third, Typhus needs some sort of delivery system. I usually use the plague zombies but since they cannot run, it takes him forever to get somewhere. Deepstriking alone is an option but then he is vulnerable to just getting shot to death without any look out sir's to save him. Deepstriking with other terminators or obliterators is probably a good idea - though I have yet to try it. Then there is also the option of a land raider.

Those are some things I would keep in my when building your Death Guard and trying to decide what you want to buy next and what not. Helldrakes are always a good investment and having at least one is a great idea. Other then that, I would just play what you think seems cool. Good luck and I hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea with the zombies. Use two squads to claI'm two objective, the third for Typus( I will go with zombies for Typus till I buy Terminators).

I decided ten plague marines because I was going to use 7 but my dad said he would give me some of his old ones so I could have a squad of ten. I could go with two 7s and a 6 but I would need to get a third Rhino... that may or may not be doable(moneywise).

Yeah I was going to go with plasma guns. Except I wanted the comander to have a combi melta, on off chance someone comes up with a very heavily armored vehicle that I need the extra punch for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How reliable is Deepstriking Typhus and a squad of terms? Somoneelse told me that deepingstriking Typhus is a large risk.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
How reliable is Deepstriking Typhus and a squad of terms? Somoneelse told me that deepingstriking Typhus is a large risk.
yes it is and also is a large investment for amodel that will charge at best in turn 3. i'd rather put him into a landraider to get in melee by turn 2.

My take at a list would be:

typhus

20 zombies
20 zombies

7 plague, 2 melta, 1 combimelta, rhino
6 plague, 2 plasma, 1 combiplasma (they don't need a rhino since they can walk a turn and then have a 24" covered firezone, wich means more than half the board, after deployment and movement)

2 heldrakes

2 nurgle obliterators
2 vindicator,combibolter,daemonic possession (for modeling sake ;) )

In this list you join typhus to the 6 man plague marines and use him to secure midtable objectives, following the advance of rhinos and heldrakes, covered by the almighty vindicator. then, behind, you have the zombies shuffling and going objective-mad. To reduce points you could drop a zombie mob, an heldrake and oblits (that would fit in 1500 i think)
My two cents :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes it is and also is a large investment for amodel that will charge at best in turn 3. i'd rather put him into a landraider to get in melee by turn 2.

My take at a list would be:

typhus

20 zombies
20 zombies

6 plague, 2 plasma, 1 combiplasma (they don't need a rhino since they can walk a turn and then have a 24" covered firezone, wich means more than half the board, after deployment and movement)

2 heldrakes

2 nurgle obliterators
2 vindicator,combibolter,daemonic possession (for modeling sake ;) )

In this list you join typhus to the 6 man plague marines and use him to secure midtable objectives, following the advance of rhinos and heldrakes, covered by the almighty vindicator. then, behind, you have the zombies shuffling and going objective-mad. To reduce points you could drop a zombie mob, an heldrake and oblits (that would fit in 1500 i think)
My two cents :)
Yeah thats what I thought landraider. Well I was originally having my Plague MArines sit in Rhinos with plasmas. I could always NOT buy two Rhinos and just get one land raider....

See in June I get some extra bonus pay from work, but I can't go insane. I may have 300$ to spend max.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts