Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically, with everything that I have bought for my army (and some more that I have yet to buy but really want haha), I have come up with this army list. It comes out to be 3011 pts total with the allies, 2586 for my Death Guard, and 425 for Daemon Allies.

This is just my standard outfit of the squads, obviously some squads will be left out in certain battles, but I feel like this army is built to handle anything that can be thrown at it.

Shoot me some opinions on what you think!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Death Guard Army List-2586 pts total
HQ
Typhus(Chaos Lord)-230 pts
Virulon(Chaos Sorcerer)-155 pts
Terminator Armour, Force Staff, Combi-Bolter, Mastery Level 3, Mark of Nurgle, Veteran of the Long War
TROOPS
Plague Marines-297 pts
Champion w/ Power Fist, Gift of Mutation, Icon of Despair, Veteran of the Long War
4x Plague Marines w/ Boltguns, Veterans of the Long War
2x Plague Marines w/ Plasma guns, Veterans of the Long War
1x Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher
Plague Marines-297 pts
Champion w/ Power Fist, Gift of Mutation, Icon of Despair, Veteran of the Long War
Plague Marines-297 pts
Chaos Cultists-100 pts
18x Cultists w/ Autoguns
2x Cultists w/ Heavy Stubbers
Plague Zombies-90pts
20x Plague Zombies
ELITES
Chaos Terminators-193 pts
Champion w/ Power Fist, Combi-Flamer, Gift of Mutation, Icon of Despair, Mark of Nurgle, Blight Grenades, Veteran of the Long War
2x Terminators w/ Power Fists, Combi-Meltas, Mark Of Nurgle, Blight Grenades, Veterans of the Long War
Morbitox(Helbrute)-120 pts
Reaper Autocannon, Missile Launcher
Possessed-272 pts
Possessed Champion w/ 2x Gift of Mutation, Icon of Despair, Mark of Nurgle, Veteran of the Long War
6x Possessed w/ Mark of Nurgle, Veterans of the Long War
FAST ATTACK
Chaos Bikers-146 pts
Champion w/ Power Fist, Twin-Linked Bolter, Gift of Mutation, Icon of Despair, Mark of Nurgle, Blight Grenades, Veteran of the Long War
2x Chaos Bikers w/ Flamers, Twin-Linked Bolters, Veterans of the Long War
Heldrake-170 pts
Hades Autocannon
HEAVY SUPPORT
Obliterators-219 pts
3x Obliterators w/ Mark Of Nurgle, Veterans of the Long War
ALLIES, Tide of Pestilence(Daemons of Nurgle)-425 pts total
HQ
Bubonicus(Herald of Nurgle)-100 pts
Greater Reward, Lesser Reward, Mastery Level 1
TROOPS
Nurglings-45 pts
3x Nurgling Swarms
Plaguebearers of Nurgle-145 pts
Plageridden w/ Greater Reward
9x Plaguebearers w/ 1x Plague Banner, 1x Instrument of Chaos
Plaguebearers of Nurgle-135 pts
Plageridden w/ Greater Reward
9x Plaguebearers w/ 1x Plague Banner

3011 pts Combined

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
A few thoughts:

I know it's tempting to buy every option available to every unit possible, but at some point, you're throwing good points out the window. I'm not a fan of Boons of Mutation, for instance, since they tend to be wacky and situational and unreliable (far be it from me o stop you from getting them, though).

Another example: Plague Marines are already Fearless, so only gain a minimal benefit for VotLW--a benefit that's not worth the cost, I say. Use those points to add combi-bolters and combi-plasmas to your rhinos so they can put out more dakka or something, I say.

A point about the Daemons: an Allied contingent can only have 2 Troops choices, and you have 3 if you count the Nurglings and both squads of PBs. Furthermore, your Herald should have the Greater Locus of Fertility, so the PBs he joins get Feel No Pain--and if he's only giving it to half your PBs, there's a loss of utility there. What am I getting at? Combine your PBs into one squad of 20, I say, and give the Herald Fertility so they all have FNP.

Also think what benefit you're getting from the Plaguebearer upgrades. Are you deep striking multiple Daemons units in? Honestly, I don't think the Instrument is worth it if it's serving to bring in some Nurglings. Are you serving as a scatter reduction for other Daemons units? The standard has a useful 1-use only ability, sure, but if the unit was in reserve at the start of the turn, you can't reduce scatter with it for other DSers... just stuff like that to consider what items to be taking.

Minor point of legality: I don't believe that Terminators have access to Blight Grenades, their being Special Access Wargear. Typhus has them already, so gives them to the Termis if he joins them, so you needn't spend the points, anyways. And you could always give them to Virulon if he's joining them (if Typhus is, say, joining the Plague Zombies or Cultists [better the latter, to make them Fearless] or some such).

Where to expand? I must Highly recommend a Soul Grinder for the Daemons with DoN and Phlegm. Hide it in a ruin for the 2+ cover and spit battle cannon pieplates on all the fools who would oppose you...

In actual games, I'm not too much fans of Possessed or the Helbrute, but obviously you get to mix and match units as you please to meet whatever points value you're playing. Have fun, and rot them all for the Grandfather's glory!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on. I need to do a double take on some of the stuff I gave the squads. I went for most of the upgrades I could, to kind of get a feel for what the point cost would be if I loaded my army to the tits with abilities. I more took gift of mutation for all the champs for the very reason that it is random haha. Kind of make every game have some minute differences I would have to deal with. Just to keep me on my toes.

Anyways, Ill go back over it. Some things I did not even know about, allies being one of them. I thought you were able to take from them however you wanted as long as you have 2 troop and 1 hq choice. I have not played with these rules yet, only heard about em. But thanks for your points, they are a big help.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I advise you take a look in the rulebook, when you have the chance, about the difference between primary detachments and allied detachments. Primary detachments are the ones that need 1 HQ and 2 Troops, while allied detachments are if you want to bring another army in alongside your current army, but have a lot more restrictions that usual.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I have yet to get a rule book. I just started collecting again. Have not played since 4th Edition :p
Im planning on getting one soon though.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Ok, this is my views of the List.

You have allot of things, so you should be able to build some very fun lists.

Death Guard Army List-2586 pts total
HQ
Typhus(Chaos Lord)-230 pts
Virulon(Chaos Sorcerer)-155 pts
Terminator Armour, Force Staff, Combi-Bolter, Mastery Level 3, Mark of Nurgle, Veteran of the Long War

OK, Typhus is fun, and alot of folks love him. The Sorcerer, I would add a Spell Familiar the reroll his worth it, I would also give him Gift of Mutation if you want random tables, much more likey to help him than the AC's

TROOPS
Plague Marines-297 pts x3
Plague Marines-297 pts

As Mossy said, Drop VotLW and the GoM, Iam not sold on Icons but it does add something. I also Would Drop the Power Fist on most of the squads, but I can see the advantage for them. I also would swap out one of the squads Plasmaguns for Meltas.

Chaos Cultists-100 pts
18x Cultists w/ Autoguns
2x Cultists w/ Heavy Stubbers

I would Split them into two squads and hide them in some fortifications for more durablity and fire-power

Plague Zombies-90pts
20x Plague Zombies

Yep, as you have Typhus, sounds good.

ELITES
Chaos Terminators-193 pts
Champion w/ Power Fist, Combi-Flamer, Gift of Mutation, Icon of Despair, Mark of Nurgle, Blight Grenades, Veteran of the Long War
2x Terminators w/ Power Fists, Combi-Meltas, Mark Of Nurgle, Blight Grenades, Veterans of the Long War

Ok, Again drop the GoM, and may be the Icon. Only the Champ can have Grenades.Who do you plan on running this squad with? I would try and arm the squad with weapons that have synagy. If just going for 3 of them just go with 3 combi-meltas (or Flamers)

Morbitox(Helbrute)-120 pts
Reaper Autocannon, Missile Launcher

I would leave the Missile Launcher at home, the Powerfist can be a great help when opoents get to close.

Possessed-272 pts
Possessed Champion w/ 2x Gift of Mutation, Icon of Despair, Mark of Nurgle, Veteran of the Long War
6x Possessed w/ Mark of Nurgle, Veterans of the Long War

Drop the Havoc from the Rhino, you want to be going full speed with it to get them into CC, You dont need the Icon of Despair, VolW is also undeed

FAST ATTACK
Chaos Bikers-146 pts
Champion w/ Power Fist, Twin-Linked Bolter, Gift of Mutation, Icon of Despair, Mark of Nurgle, Blight Grenades, Veteran of the Long War
2x Chaos Bikers w/ Flamers, Twin-Linked Bolters, Veterans of the Long War

Give the AC a Combi-flamer and replace the Twin-linked Bolter for flamers! Keep the pistols for better CC posiblitys. For this unit keep the VoLW, But drop the Icon

Heldrake-170 pts
Hades Autocannon

Flamer may be better, but the Autocannon is fun as well.

HEAVY SUPPORT
Obliterators-219 pts
3x Obliterators w/ Mark Of Nurgle, Veterans of the Long War

Again VoLW is a bit pointless... (Though look at my note below)

Skiping the Allies as not familiar with Deamons yet
Ok, if you like VoLW, look at the Black Leagion Codex, you have to take it for them but you get some nice artifacts (Last Memory of the Yuranthos could be alot of fun)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts