Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
You telling me I can buy this cool flier but can't use it in the game without buying this new book?
Wouldn't that apply to pretty much any model used for 40k gaming ?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Not really...They don't make you buy another Grey knights supplement just to use your land raider do they? It's a bit different than buying a new codex when it comes out.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If there are no points changes and such then what's the point?
Exactly how I feel really. I'm sure there is a point if it's a decent and official looking book with your unit stats in it which seems like a great concept to me. PDF's would make more sense...PP seems to be doing okay and they actually pack stats in the model's box.

Directing players to buy an all new book online with awesome shipping prices simply to use a single unit is ridiculous. I would love a book with unit stats printed out, looking all nice, giving me some info on the aerial competition out there. Assuming it could stand on it's own and wasn't required for more to use a single model anyway. I have way more armies then I need and yet only one of them is even in this book and I don't even use the unit.

I mean it is nice to be able to get stats instead of having to hunt WD's but not nice enough I'm interested in a book that's 99% X-Factor.

Well normally you buy a Codex with rules for everything in that army. In this case you get stats for a single model? If I play Space Marines I certainly don't need stats for a flying robotic french pastry for an army I don't play. Sure it's nice gee-wiz information but requiring me to buy an entire book just for the one thing I want and telling me I want everything else?

I think MadCowCrazy has a good point though; if it's only in English how offical can this be anyway? If nothing of real note was changed it's a dud.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Not really...They don't make you buy another Grey knights supplement just to use your land raider do they? It's a bit different than buying a new codex when it comes out.
Maybe but you do get all of the data for all other armies, not just your own. If you want to know about enemy land raiders then you have to buy a heap of other books.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I believe this is just a compendium of past rules for mass consumption. Throw in some pretty pictures, print it hardcover & full colour and profit just like the "campaign book". GW will not change points costs for army X in a suppliment rulebook, that just isn't going to happen.

As far as I can tell the only thing worth checking out in this whole book is (a) how much does a BT or C:SM Stormraven cost? (b) what missiles do BT or C:SM Stormravens come with?

As I play DE & Chaos, neither of those questions are pressing enough for me to spend $40.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
People seem to forget this is how 40k and fantasy for that matter used to work, they would put out interesting stuff and new rules for new units etc in WD for people to use in games and then when they had enough material they would do a compendium with the rules all in one place, granted this was 20 years ago and we didnt have the advantage of the internet to moan about it, but if like me you didnt pick up the WD with the rules in, or missed an issue or dont want to keep referring to a WD page, this book is a god send.
People criticise GW for not putting things in WD, then they criticise GW for putting things in WD, people criticise GW because the WD with new rules sell out,people criticise GW for producing a book with the sold out rules in.People Criticise GW for not communicating with fans, GW communicate with fans about there trade mark stance,GW get a shit load of abuse about it, GW are criticised because stores are full of kids using the boards and hogging painting tables,GW are criticised when they reverse that and become shops, People bitch about GW metal models being hard to build/paint/convert, they switch to resin and have a few teething issues and its like GW have started eating babies while doing Jimmy Saville impressions.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I'm keen to have all the various flyer rules in one bound copy.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
People seem to forget this is how 40k and fantasy for that matter used to work, they would put out interesting stuff and new rules for new units etc in WD for people to use in games and then when they had enough material they would do a compendium with the rules all in one place, granted this was 20 years ago and we didnt have the advantage of the internet to moan about it, but if like me you didnt pick up the WD with the rules in, or missed an issue or dont want to keep referring to a WD page, this book is a god send.
People criticise GW for not putting things in WD, then they criticise GW for putting things in WD, people criticise GW because the WD with new rules sell out,people criticise GW for producing a book with the sold out rules in.People Criticise GW for not communicating with fans, GW communicate with fans about there trade mark stance,GW get a shit load of abuse about it, GW are criticised because stores are full of kids using the boards and hogging painting tables,GW are criticised when they reverse that and become shops, People bitch about GW metal models being hard to build/paint/convert, they switch to resin and have a few teething issues and its like GW have started eating babies while doing Jimmy Saville impressions.
...or they could have just put up the rules for pdf download on their webpage and all problems would have been solved...

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
FREE?? I think someone unfamiliar with GW has hacked your account MCC
And this right here is the problem with GW atm, feels like they go out of their way to leech as much money as they can out of their customers. They have several armies done and completed, have had for years apparently but instead of releasing an army a month they release things that should have been free or at the most a WD release just to fill out the release schedule with something each month.

Even if GW did release a new army book or codex each month it would still take a few years to update everything, as it is now they are pretty much on a 30 year cycle. Each army should get updated for each edition of the game but that just wont happen as codicies are not profitable enough and GW wouldn't release the rules as free pdfs even if this would perhaps increase model sales.

They should put a sticker on every Ork Bomma and Storm Talon box stating you need to buy this new "addition" to the game in order to use them.
An Ork Bommer doesn't cost £27.50, the initial cost is £27.50 + £20 as you HAVE TO buy the compendium if you want to use it. Unless you download the rules through "illegal" means...

-"But the initial cost is much lower if you have the WD"
Which might be invalidated if this compendium has points changes or wargear changes. Storm Raven has a starting cost of £50 + £20 for SM and BT players as their rules have never been published. Unless they just copy paste the BA and GK rules which they wont do as the missiles are unique to each army.

FAQ says you should check out the Death From The Skies compendium for changes, yet it's only available in English so all non English speaking players are boned.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
lol - the FW "FaceSpace" response

With Death from the Skies now on sale, and with thanks to numerous posts on our wall, consider this an official FAQ:

The rules don't overlap onto Imperial Armour Aeronautica. Any of our flyers that list Deep Strike among their special rules can still Deep Strike.
Stormravens cannot carry Contemptors.
Storm Eagles aren't available to Blood Angels. There's a price for refusing to reveal STC data.

Meanwhile, here's some nicely painted flyers...
are we certain that FW is related to GW...besides the game system? :gimmefive:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I know that this is only making a specific missile choice mandatory for Grey Knights, but I'm now curious to see if there are more options in the missile selection for fliers in general.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I know that this is only making a specific missile choice mandatory for Grey Knights, but I'm now curious to see if there are more options in the missile selection for fliers in general.
FAQ confirms that the regular version of the Storm Raven comes with "stormstrike missiles". As it's the only flier (from what I've read) that will be a new choice for other armies it's pretty much a mandatory addition as the Bloodstrike and Mindstrike are army specific wargear. Then again the Storm Raven was army specific as well until now, guess it didn't sell enough kits.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
FAQ confirms that the regular version of the Storm Raven comes with "stormstrike missiles". As it's the only flier (from what I've read) that will be a new choice for other armies it's pretty much a mandatory addition as the Bloodstrike and Mindstrike are army specific wargear. Then again the Storm Raven was army specific as well until now, guess it didn't sell enough kits.
Or this is a cheaper way to add flyers to two armies without spending time, resources and mold budget money on new models.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts