Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know how everyone deals with Terminators (and how which codexi deal with them).
I'm sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum but it seemd quite tactical.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Hi.
As Chaos space marine i use Obliterators to shoot them down or lots of bolter shooting
As Imperial Guard i find it easyer to pack enough plasma/ lasgun shots to crush them in just a single shooting phase

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well with my Chaos Guard I either plasma gun them, melt them with a platoon on First rank fire!! Or drown them in bayonets.

With my marines I usually hit them with my devastators or with my plasma guns an rapid fire.

I find volume of shots is more effective than power shots.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
A general choice of tactics is to force them to take many many saves or to try and annihilate them with low AP weaponry. The former is usually more effective for someone with my rotten luck, but if you're more lucky with dice you've really got both options open to you.

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
The key to killing terminators is just pure weight of fire. Yes it's nice to have ap2+ guns but they're generally rare and/or expensive and therefore quite difficult to pack into a list in sufficient enough numbers.
Don't forget that Termis often take a Storm Shield or two which provides a 3+ inv save against the AP1/2 heavy weapons. As jams has indicated, the higher the number of shots the higher the likelihood of rolling ones (or ones & twos with the 3+ inv on the AP1/2 shots)! Unless your opponent's luck with the dice is like mine than the Termis simply get wasted with simple bolter shots!!! :(

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Another way to deal with them is to tarpit them with a big blob of a unit or a unit that has a great save/invuln save. Or, ignore them. Terms are usually pretty slow, so depending on where they are, you may be able to just ignore them as you walk away to do other things.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Or lasgun shots. Last game with IG i killed 3 of the bastards with First rank fire, second rank fire!! in just one shooting phase :)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
What army do you play?

I've had some success hunting termies with a 5 man plasma/combi plas tactical squad. Under rapid fire you can make a good dent in them and it's not a hugely expensive unit.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I play Imperial Guard, and as such always go with plenty of plasma and melta vets in Chimeras. I've been rolling around the idea of taking a Demolisher as well, since Terminators usually aren't in strong enough numbers to really warrant more than one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With my chaos marines a havoc squad with 4 plasmas has proven very handy for dealing with terminators. For the min-maxing grey-knight-player thats often a death-sentence. I dont mind roasting one of my own to obliterate this deepstriking squad thats almost half of his points.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Command Squad with Prescience, 4 Plasma Guns and Apothecary.
Deathwing Knights
Standard of Devastation
Vindicator
10-man squads with Splinter Racks
Incubi
Disintegrators
Grey Hunters - Bolters double-tapping, then counter-attack getting 3 attacks per body before they can swing is usually pretty deadly.
Thunderwolves - A whole heap of Rending attacks.

They're the things I tend to use.

Midnight

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Plasma Death Tanks (aka Leman Russ Executioners) for guard...actually that is my DIE WHATEVER THAT THING IS! DIE! DIE! DIE!

for Chaos...ugh...usually with a CSM squad with 2 plasma guns.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I take one of two course of actions. A) Target with vehicles and arty to kill them early on, or B) Use HQ, Melee units to close the distance quickly and attempt to stall/kill them off before they become a problem. Of the two the latter has had more success, as a shooting match with Obliterators or Terminators is near suicide.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Force them to take lots of saves via lots of shots. Termie units are usually small single wound units. Loading more and more dice rolls on them will end up with ones being rolled. Each one that dies makes it harder for the rest to survive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the answers ;D
I asked this question mainly to see if running a plasma syphon would be a good idea.
seems it is.

Have a nice day
Lokyar

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the answers ;D
I asked this question mainly to see if running a plasma syphon would be a good idea.
seems it is.

Have a nice day
Lokyar

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
shooting isnt the only option

last game i wiped out a five man termie unit with 10 orks

all the terminators had a PF and a stormbolter so they hit last, i charged

so

2 attacks each + 1 assault bonus + 1 choppa and slugga bonus

= 40 attacks @ Weapon skill 4 Strength 4

4+ to hit
4+ to wound

2+ armour save

40 attacks will land at least 1 kill

·
Registered
533 Posts
Tyranids have monstrous creatures galore and/or massed gaunts to throw at them, either to wear them down or just keep them from doing anything useful for a little while

On the other hand terminators aren't a bad unit to have if you're going up against nids. Terminator shooting will scythe through gaunts, and they're not a bad way to kill a tervigon in CC either. Best not to engage a trygon or swarmlord though

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Use weight of fire to kill 3-4 of them and then keep moving the closest squad back just enough to bait them into making a long range assault, which should often fail if you 8-10" out. Then you will get to overwatch and another chance to shoot the unit again. If they do get the assault then hope that they only kill 3-4 and force you to run as they can't over run. This can lead to the hilarious situation where their 300pt terminator squad gets shot down trying to take down a 100pt unit that then rallied after only taking 3-4 wounds.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts