Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'm posting this to vent a bit of frustration, but advice on how to deal with this situation would be great too.

I'll preface my story with an explanation of my oddball amount of experience with 40k; The first games I played were back in 4th edition in '07 or '08. I only played a handful of games before I was distracted with other things and packed away my models and stuff until recently. I decided to come back and got a 5th ed rulebook and codex and some new models and so far have played two games in 5e. I consider myself a 40k newb and unexperienced.

My most recent game was with a guy at my local game store who I recognized from a few years ago, so I think it's safe to assume he's been playing long enough to know what's going on with rules and such. We decided to play a 1500 point game. Rolled for missions and deployment, etc.

We unpack our armies and deploy. His army looks like a normal amount of models for 1500, but I didn't realize that one of his squads is a ten-strong Honor Guard, all packing relic blades and a chapter banner (lesson learned; know what the hell everything the opponent has on the table is). I hadn't looking into Honor Guard much before, but assumed that a veteran squad with such equipment would have to be expensive as shit, so later at home looking though my codex I add up his army to find that it was at the very minimum 1800 points (probably higher, I don't remember every piece of wargear he had or whether his Sternguard was five or ten strong) and as much as 2000.

He also screwed me on a few rules I wasn't familiar with like stacking an attack bonus from Pedro Kantor with his chapter banner, and a few that were a bit more minor that could have been honest mistakes, but probably weren't, like trying to hit on 3's with BS3 scouts (I called him on that one) making a 6'' regroup move instead of 3'', etc.

As I said, some of his shenanigans might have just been mistakes, but I don't see how you could not know that you had 300+ points worth of extra models, or how you could accidentally remember only (the beneficial) half of your HQ's special rules.

I don't know the store's employees or other players very well yet. Not sure if I should say anything to him or someone else next time I show up. There was another guy who I recognized from a few years ago who came by the table and chatted with us during the game that seems pretty cool, maybe I'll ask him about it.

Any thoughts, Heretics? How does a new guy keep this kind of thing from happening?
:angry:

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had the same problem for a while when I first came to the game. For Starts keep doing what you do Call him out and make sure he is not cheating.
Mostly all you can do is read up on the rules and make sure you know them, failing that you could get someone to watch over it like a friend with experiance. This may encourage some of those cheating kinds to play fairer.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just turn their logic back on them! :)

I was playing a team match (Me and my Bro with 500pts each) against a 1000 pt Nid army. I managed to kill his Trygon in 1 round of shooting after it killed a grand total of 2, yep 2 guardsman, but thats beside the point.

He sends in an uber unit of Homogaunts or something like that, and I scorch them with a quick burst of a flamer and a few lasgun shots. They take enough casualties to force a LD test, which they fail (out of synapse) and flee. This kid trys to flee them back into synapse, instead of to the board edge, where they were supposed to go and after a lengthy debate, he moves them towards the board edge.

In his next turn, he measures synapse form some Warriors camping ontop of a building, like so

(warriors)_________synapse range__________>
I
I
I
I(Building) __________________________Gaunts

I say,"yep. Thats cool. Synapse would be a sphere, so thats fine measuring like that. (I then proceed to destroy that unit AND the warriors, kleaving him objectivless!

So the game ends, and I have some ratlings in a building like so

Ratlings__Capture Range_>
I
I
IBuilding _________Objective.

They are clearly within 3 inches so they capture it, but this kid comlians, "Nope. Youve got to measure is straight lines, down the building and then across. You loose."
Me: Well, wouldnt control be similar to synapse in that it is a 3d measurment? Its within 3 inches mate. I'm sorry but they capture it. (A staff member verified this and I win the day!!!)

Plus, this was my 4th game of 40k ever!

So turn their logic back on them if they are cheating on purpose!

(Plus that kid broke the clasp on my case and didnt tell me :angry:)

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Ask to play open lists is the best way, you're new and learning the game so tricky tactics are not really helpful.

Also be aware of the your opponents rules and ask them not to take short cuts. Short cuts are no cheating but also not fully explaining why. For example Space Marines automatically regroup, with 'And they shall know no fear' so people often regroup their Marines and move them 6" in the movement phase. But that's not the regroup move, that's just their normal movement.

Aramoro

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
just ask him to provide a copy of his army list. most decent players will have them(i know not everyone without a list on them is a cheater, but its pritty easy to sneak in extra points this way)

if theres anything that seems out of the ordinary, just ask to see the rules on it. if hes using any special characters, ask to read their entry before the game.

but most of all, be polite. your opponent will always be more inclined to show you rulings if your nice about it, just say 'sorry, could you explain what your doing there? im not very familiar with that rule/manuver'

hope you find some better opponents soon! haha

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Pity them. Seriously, just pity them. Can you imagine how pathetic you have to be in order to be a grown adult cheating in this sort of game?

Personally, I wouldn't play with them. At least two players at my regular hangout do exactly the sort of things you describe, and I will not willingly play with them. If you're in a tournament or something (and in those the organizer should be monitoring their list), then just keep a close eye on what they do, and call them out on anything odd. If they keep doing it, complain to the organizer/judge.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I played the first time with my necrons on Sunday and a guy went through my codex and list about 10 different times trying to "catch" me cheating and using more than a 1000 points. I actually had about 200 points less and was having to put disruption fields on a lot of things to make up the points.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I love cheaters, SOOO much fun to fuck with. I usually just mind-fuck them till they get so frustrated they can't do much and then proceed to beat the shit out of them. Cheaters usually arn't the brightest lights, if they were they wouldn't have to cheat, so it isn't to hard to mind-fuck them off their game.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I have a suggestion; Lets just declare every cheater Extermis Cheaterus (?) and execute them for heresy!

Cheaters suck, never played against any, as I have not really played any real games, but I have heard a lot of shit about them...

·
Registered
134 Posts
You just have to ask or call them out on it. worst case is he dosn't want to play with you. but then you dont really want to play with a cheater anywhoo...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Calling someone out for cheating is not rules nazi/lawyering. Rules lawyering would be more like Ameoba Bait's example. He wasn't cheating and the two cases could logically be considered different, but he was being a dick and doing it in order to win.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. Learning the rules better is definitely something I'm working on, there's just so damn much to know. Seeing as I was caught off-guard by stuff from the codex I use myself I'll have a lot of work learning all the other factions.
Asking to look at a written list is a great idea too, I'll be doing that in the future.

but then you dont really want to play with a cheater anywhoo...
Personally, I wouldn't play with them
I'd rather play him in a fair game and give him a drubbing :grin: more like this:

I love cheaters, SOOO much fun to fuck with. I usually just mind-fuck them till they get so frustrated they can't do much and then proceed to beat the shit out of them. Cheaters usually arn't the brightest lights, if they were they wouldn't have to cheat, so it isn't to hard to mind-fuck them off their game.
It'll just take some work to be able to do that.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My tips:
Always ask to see their list before the game starts, and make sure you have a calculator on you.

Also, read all the codexes at least once. Having a passing familiarity with all the rules can help immensely in catching cheaters.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
When confronted with a cheater be civil, after all you never know if it was a simple hasty mistake, or a persistent rule error they haven't dealt with (left overs from a earlier ediiton). Still bring up the possible cheat to their attention, and you will more then often see one of the following occur. 1) They become vary defensive, and will deny they ever did it or try and change the topic (Cheating). 2) They try to rationalize what the did, by referencing a rule incorrectly or otherwise show some failing in their understanding of the rules. 3) They say my bad, and try to correct the error, which may not necessarily work depending on context (Simple hastiness, or laziness).

In closing remember that we have all made mistakes in the past when playing warhammer so always give the opponent the benefit of the doubt, within reason (No str 10 gaurdsmen please).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts