Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
via Eurogamer.net

By Wesley Yin-Poole Published Monday, 22 April 2013
There is a "strong possibility" that Relic Entertainment will work with Games Workshop on a new Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War game.

That's according to game director Quinn Duffy, who suggested to Eurogamer that Relic may go back to the drawing board for the third game in the series having stopped and started on a number of ideas.

Earlier this year Sega bought Relic after previous owner THQ went bankrupt. As part of the $26.6 million deal, the Japanese company acquired the studio and the rights to RTS series Company of Heroes. The second game, Company of Heroes 2, launches in June.

What is unclear, however, is whether the Warhammer 40k license was part of the deal. Sega won't say, and Games Workshop, which owns the Warhammer 40k IP, has been busy licensing its properties out to multiple developers. There's a turn-based Space Hulk game in the works, for example, and Slitherine is making a mystery Warhammer 40k strategy game.

But what of Dawn of War?

"I'm still a bit fuzzy on that," Duffy said. "There were certain properties that were attached to the sale of Relic initially, which was Company of Heroes, but not all of Relic's initial IP was part of that initial sale package.

"Dawn of War, because it's a license and it's owned by Games Workshop, they have the opportunity to work that license with whoever they want. I would hope it would be us again. We had a great working relationship with Games Workshop. Sega is establishing one now with the fantasy license for Creative Assembly.

"There's a strong possibility we'll all be working together again on Dawn of War."

Prior to his exit from the company, THQ core games boss Danny Bilson spoke openly with Eurogamer about Dawn of War 3. At one stage it had an August 2012 to February 2013 release window - but THQ's high-profile financial troubles put paid to that.

Bilson had said the game "is going to have a much larger strategic component to it, more of a global battle going on with little tactical things, sort of MMO-like".

While Duffy was unable to talk about the specifics on the work done on Dawn of War 3, he did suggest Relic will want to improve its technology before building it.

"When we look at things like that, especially when you get into very early development on future titles, some of it is beneficial from a learning experience, and some of it from a technology experience just isn't," he said.

"We've stopped and started on a number of things over the past that have given us lessons. But sometimes it's easier just to start again on something new. With Company of Heroes, when we started, we wanted to bring our level of tech up substantially. Going into the future, Relic's got to do that again. We've got to get our next generation engine ready for years down the road. Whatever's happening has to take that into account."

But is Relic working on Dawn of War 3?

"I won't say..." Duffy said with a smile.

Dawn of War 3? Yes please.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Dawn of War 3? Yes please.
it always sounded like work had been started before the thq fall out happened so it sounds likely

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it always sounded like work had been started before the thq fall out happened so it sounds likely
I assumed this too as I was reading another article the other day about where THQ's properties had ended up, seemed they had a lot in the works and many of the companies who bought them have said they are going to continue with them.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
I struggle to understand exactly why THQ went down; really. Darksiders was shaping up to be a fantastic series; Zelda without pastel colours. Company of Heroes was a winner and looking to be fantastic second outing, Dawn of War 2 was a commercial success, and only Soulstorm was negatively recieved due to it being little more than an expensive unit and campaign reskin pack.

Dawn of War 3 has long been rumoured, but I think it would have been based on a similar engine to CoH2; which is no bad thing; but I doubt much asset based work would have been done on it so far.

Hopefully we can go back to the wide sweeping battles involving hundreds of units; as opposed to forces that were 20 men strong, oh, and happened to be supported by Greater Daemons/Avatars/Baneblades etc.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Also, THQ had a habit of wasting money on all sorts of weird titles most never even heard of. A couple of fishing and hunting simulators spring to mind.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should have just stuck to pc games... remembered a survey from a while back.. the average console gamer will only have a couple hundred bucks worth of games, while an average PC gamer has at least double that.

·
We fly for the Emperor!
201 Posts
I struggle to understand exactly why THQ went down; really. Darksiders was shaping up to be a fantastic series; Zelda without pastel colours. Company of Heroes was a winner and looking to be fantastic second outing, Dawn of War 2 was a commercial success, and only Soulstorm was negatively recieved due to it being little more than an expensive unit and campaign reskin pack.

Dawn of War 3 has long been rumoured, but I think it would have been based on a similar engine to CoH2; which is no bad thing; but I doubt much asset based work would have been done on it so far.

Hopefully we can go back to the wide sweeping battles involving hundreds of units; as opposed to forces that were 20 men strong, oh, and happened to be supported by Greater Daemons/Avatars/Baneblades etc.
True, Company of Heroes and Darksiders are a great game, and also a commercially great game. The Dawn of War II are great too, although I don't like the Retribution much, and Chaos Rising is a little repetitive, but otherwise a great game.

Soulstorm, in my opinion, is not a great expansion pack, but the Dawn of War itself is a great game. I love also how the ending is canonized in Dawn of War II by Cyrus.

I wonder what happens to my favourite chapter, the Blood Ravens, in Dawn of War III, or what happens to them if Dawn of War III never exists.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
thq went down because they invested too heavily in Udraw for ps3 and xbox after the success on the Wii, they forgot that the Wii demographic is kids and family and that ps3 demographic is for real gamers and xbox demographic is for people who play halo.
It was a large list of missteps, really. They budgeted for Homefront to sell 2 million copies in the first week, for example. It only sold between 500K and 750K. Before that, they were on record saying it had to sell 2M for Dark Millenium Online to get it's full budget. Shortly after, it was scrapped as an MMO, and the developer had to find a way to use the work they'd done in different ways. If DMO ever had seen light of day, it would have been a horrible game.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't know, I think DMO could have been a decent game if they simply abandoned 90% of the MMO bible when building it. I would have imagined something more like MWO in which you didn't have a world to wander around in (because marines don't do that) except maybe your home bases but instead play battles and focused on that. Not even close to WoW would really replicate the feel of WH40K, I mean it did a terrible job of even being related to Warcraft.

On the other hand I felt Space Marine was onto something even if it never quite got there and having race assets from all over and vehicles etc? Might've been a fun game.

I'd swear they started on a Dawn of War 3 though, or at least prototyping it. I did sort of like the direction 2 went though I guess I sort of want to see something a bit closer to the table top.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I think I read that DoW III was going to be a bit closer to table top. Cant remember because the last time I read anything about it was before THQ went under. I know the article in question mentioned something about larger scale battles. Army vs Army rather than the DoW II scale battles.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
It should be army versus army, the only small scale RTS I like is XCOM. I play RTSs because u love having large armies under my command.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I think I read that DoW III was going to be a bit closer to table top. Cant remember because the last time I read anything about it was before THQ went under. I know the article in question mentioned something about larger scale battles. Army vs Army rather than the DoW II scale battles.
I think the only thing I read about DOW 3 was that the production team wanted to take what they had learner from DOW2 and take a step back to DOW and make a game somewhere inbetween the first and second games,
no idea how they intended to do it though

·
We fly for the Emperor!
201 Posts
As long as they address what happens with the Blood Ravens (and for good sake, give it a closure) I think I will buy it.

Honestly, I prefer DOW II than DOW I. But some strategic map style from DOW I (with bonus from provinces, honor guard, etc.) is definitely great, but I prefer the combat style from DOW II.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
I loved Dawn of War Dark Crusade (and everything before it) and I despised Dawn of War 2, so I'm taking a very hands-off stance with DoW3 until I can read enough about it to verify that it's a game I would play.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dark Crusade was near perfect in terms of how DoW should be for me.

If they can have the campaign style from that, but with the units of the first... but then we have the persistant unit RPG aspect from the later... I think we'd have a near perfect 40k game.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts