Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on this force for awhile now - could have sworn I had created a Project Log on here already. But either I never did or it has disappeared. I blame me.

Anyway - The idea is a Shadow Crusade Era Ultramarines led mixed force. The plan right now is:

Astartes (Ultramarines)
Mechanicum (Legio Atarus aligned - maybe some day I'll buy big models)
Knight Household (House Cadmus)
Imperial Army (75th Saturnyne Lions - custom force based on solar auxillia models - half infantry/half armor)
Imperial Army (101st Oraskian Dragoons - custom force using custom models (kilts!) based on Elysian drop troops)
Custodes - small accompanying force.
Sisters - probably just a small squad for flavor.

Some of this is out of place for Shadow Crusade but I really wanted color contrast between each section of the army rather than color cohesion. I'm weird.

Not alot of Heresy players in my area so I generally counts as my stuff into 40k rules or just custom rules for house games.

I'm probably more of a hobbyist than a tabletop gamer at this point. I spend more time DM'ing for my group of 40k friends than we do playing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I'm not a great painter - but this one turned out pretty good. Ultramarines 2nd Company Tactical Razorback. I know, I know - there were no Razorbacks then. We'll call it "experimental equipment". I like a darker blue than is customary - so that is Valhejo Dark angel blue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The first half of a 3rd Company Tactical Squad. I kinda did my own thing with company markings because I'm not talented enough to paint a tiny, tiny 3 on the shoulder. So in this case a single white left knee cap denotes 3rd company in my forces. I also love red sarge helmets so I am doing that also though it's probably a bit early in the lore for that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The first half of a 2nd Company Tac Squad (all blue denotes 2nd Co in my scheme). They look a little better in person - not a great picture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

2nd Company Tech Marine. I used to have a Black Legion army and have leftover bits. I love that helmet on this guy. I don't like crazy all-red Tech Marines - so I just did the Red Mechanicum shoulder pad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

9th Company (right side white shoulder and knee in my scheme) Contemptor Mortis.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Fire Raptor of 3rd Company, 4th Attack Wing, 3rd Squadron (red background), 5th aircraft. Don't look to closely - my assembly had some issues here. I'm getting better - hopefully. Aircraft markings are my own special scheme markings that make sense in my head. Probably no where else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On my table at the moment: a Knight from House Cadmus, another Tac Squad, a sniper sergeant, and a Librarian. Hopefully they turn out pretty good. I'm at the wash stage with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Mechanicum Tech Thralls associated with Legio Atarus - I chose not to paint the mechanicum emblem - thralls are so cheap I wanted them to look like it was just pressed into their cheap metal armor.

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
148 Posts
Looking very good, I like the weathered look, and the darker hue is more akin to a chapter that has seen ready battle recently, rather than the gleaming royal blue of a chapter fresh from a parade ground.

The only thing I would say to really make them pop would be to wash the shoulder pads (notably on the mk3 armour) riveted edges. Then drybrush with gun metal or stormhost silver/ necron compound (or equivalent). You can tone it down with nuln oil diluted with lahmium medium (or your choice of medium compound), and perhaps some chipping now or then. The same goes for the Fire Raptor and the white wing flaps.

As for the helmets, it would be more suitable to denote them as end/post heresy, but before the legions were split by the tenets of the Codex Astartes. If you have read the lore, Aeonid Thiel's Red-Marked all wore red helms, but the actions of his guerilla faction helped to reform the Primarch's thinking on the legions and how they should operate.

However, regardless of the advice, a solid look for a late- heresy force there. Keep it up. I will get some pics of my heresy army up when I can :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts