Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, its Ard Boyz list time!

In the Preliminaries, I had a bit of an odd list:
I knew I wanted lots of Spiders and a Pheonix Lord. For the fun of it.
Maugan Ra
Autarch WJG, PW, MB, FG, PW

like 2 squads of 7-8 Dragons in BL Serpents

A reasonably sized Bladestorm DA squad in a BL Serpent
DAVU Falcon with BL, Holo, Stones
20 Pathfinders
May have also been a BL Serpent DAVU, unsure now without the list at hand

two units of 10 Warp Spiders, Dual Spinners and Withdraw
Wraithlord 2 Flamers and a Sword

R1: Tank Shocked Necrons off the board for a Phase Out. (Took a few tries) Major Victory
R2: Swept Tyranids from the board, Massacre
R3: Did minimal damage to Space Wolves, but hid well so he did worse. Minor Victory

But I don't think I will get away with that this time around. So I'm looking for a list or a list theme to go into this next round. There are some can and can'ts:

Can't have Psyker Jetbikes (Lent mine out so he can use them in his list, Shining Spears also lent out elsewhere)
Can't have Heavy Support Platforms (I want a chance, plus don't have any)
I prefer without Vypers, but I can live with it if it goes with the rest (Considered 9 Walkers 9 Vypers, but honestly didn't see it working out)
Must be fun, # 1 rule. I can make it work from there.

That's pretty much it. I know it is daunting to make a 2500 point list, hence why I haven't actually started. So, in that case, feel free to just suggest an army theme. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I suppose it depends on how you define "fun" in your personal lexicon. For me, "fun" is using a silly combo (I was such a johnny player in MTG...) to lay waste to someone's prize model/unit, hence why I haven't got tired yet of the Doom - Guide - Bladestorm - Bladestorm - Assault combo.

On the other hand, to other people "fun" means non-competitive, or fluff-based, or uses little-used units, or has a really odd strategy.

So, what's "fun" for you? I'll do my best to come up with something! :)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I think I meant using a list that is just a bit off of the typical route.

I don't care for Guardian Defenders (in fact I only have 10) or the Heavy Support Weapons (zero).

I'm happy with any HQ, a bit shaky about a certain flying Pheonix Lord, though.

Every Elite unit is fun, a certain one might be necessary sadly but I could live without it.

Troops I've already spoken about which one I'm least exited about, any others are good.

Fast Attack is an option here, too.

All Heavy Support is available, minus the the stated, though I wish the Night Spinner was an option to throw people off.
-------------

Almost consider this a Topic thread, What kind of list would be fun for you guys? I can go from there. Shopping for Ideas/Lists.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would suggest the theme: Sudden Death.
Army should involve: dual Autarchs (Yriel possible),
three squads of ten warp spiders,
nine war walkers,
and if you think you can get away with it, 3 squads of scorpions, outflanking in serpents.
Troops probably bladestorm squads, obviously in serpents.
Finally (doo eet)...Vypers! Okay, no, not necessary, but they might even do okay.

Obviously the point is to outflank/deepstrike to buggery, with an expert's eye for how to array your attack.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha! With the sign in in like 5 hours your lucky I'm awake!

I think a blend of that and Sethis' Double Bladestorm assault will fit just fine!

Now to sleep!

Aha, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Came out of it with 3 Draws unfortunately...

Apparently, I didn't know the rules as well as I thought. And ANY rule inquiry HAD to be answered by the TO. (to save time?) This allowed things that may be right but I'd always been told differently by our FLGS; things like multiple pinning checks caused by a single unit of snipers, a Dreadnaught not assaulting the closest model of the specified unit but making more of a 7 like movement to get in assault with 2 units, that passengers in a tank could shoot at a different target than the tank, and few more things as well.

So, I guess I just went into it unprepared. Guess I will just have to buckle down and learn a TO's interpretations of rules before I enter into a tourney. That said I had a pretty fun time, most of the people there had good attitudes and were pretty funny. The good news is that is where the closest GT game should be and I'm more than ready to give it another go!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah! Guess that'd be useful!

210- Eldrad (double Doom)
125- Autarch MB PW FG WJG

96- 6 Fire Dragons
110- Wave Serpent ShurCan Stones

152- 10 Dire Avengers Exarch Dual Cats Blade Storm
145- Wave Serpent BL Stones
147- 10 Dire Avengers Exarch Blade Storm
145- Wave Serpent BL Stones
60- 5 Dire Avengers

252- 10 Warp Spiders Exarch Dual Spinners Withdraw

190- Falcon BL, Holo, Stones
180- 3 War Walkers 6 ScatLas
180- 3 War Walkers 6 ScatLas

Only 3 Troops kind of hurt me there, but the durability of the Falcon really helped me out there. Each objective mission I was able drop off the Avengers safely and move off to contest something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts