Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Darkness, a Conquest Roleplay (OOC) Recruitment closed!

[Recruitment] 
23K views 354 replies 16 participants last post by  Therizza 
#1 · (Edited)
It’s back! Bigger, Better, Bouncier, The Darkness Conquest Roleplay has returned to the lands of the Heresy Online Roleplay Threads. It’s been tweaked, reworked and hit with a hammer. And it’s ready. Don’t hesitate to create nation, a nation that will fight and die in your name and, if the fates are with you, rule the world.

The Great Alliance has fallen in ruin. The world of Kolnur has descended into chaos with the annihilation of the order it has known for so many years. The Alliance was formed 200 years ago by the great powers of the age, and has ensured a time of relative peace of prosperity. But the peace made men weak, soft, and unobservant. Few were watching for the return of darkness, and those few who were watching were unable to rouse the Alliance from its slumber in time to defend itself from the tides of darkness that washed over the land, obliterating all that stood before it till none remained.

Now the Alliance is in shambles, and the few remaining nations of the world, in the forgotten corners of the land, must somehow hold their borders against both greedy neighbours, and the Great Shadow that slew the greatest alliance this world has ever known...

*What is the Great Shadow you ask?: The Great Shadow is the effectively infinite army that will move constantly forward, coming in from the east of the map, throughout the game. The ‘Darkness’ is led by an Arch-Lich. The only way to truly destroy the Great Shadow is to somehow slay the necromancer. All anyone knows is that the name of the Lich is Deknar'Thuul.

*How big can my Country be? : 5 Million max population. UNLESS you take the "Look at all the Babies" Trait, in which case it is 10 million.

*How small can my Country be? : It can be as small as you like although you must have more population that soldiers, for obvious reasons.

*Is the bigger army always going to win?: No. I will be the final determination for any battle, but basically remember this; it will come down to what KIND of battle you engage in. If you line up all your troops and face off on a traditional field of battle with traditional tools of war, then yes the bigger army has higher odds of victory. But if you use magic or technology to alter the scales of battle, a smaller army has a chance of emerging victorious. I will be the one who determines the outcome of the battle although I welcome the viewpoint of each player and the wider players.

*Can I be destroyed in this game? : Only with your permission. Even if another player manages to conquer your nation you can live on as refugees, rebels, or a number of other options. You won't ever be destroyed (Again, unless you want to be), you will just change form and wander until you can find another place to call home.

*How Many Traits do I Get? : 21 trait points, plus a max possible of two racial and two bonuses from races, for a max beginning pool of 25.

Races: Each Race can select 1 racial trait for free.

Dwarves: +1 Trait for either Lesser Earth Magic or Military Traits

Humans: +1 Trait for either Military, National, Divine, or Necromancy Traits

Orcs: +1 Trait for either Military or Necromancy Traits

Goblins: +1 Trait for either Population or Elemental Traits

Gnomes: +1 Trait for either Illusion or Technology Traits

Elves: +1 Trait for either Elemental or Mental Traits

Ogres: +1 Trait for either Military or Physical Traits

You may have up to 2 races in your country, gaining the bonus traits for each. However the following list shows which races do not coexist well.

Dwarves and Ogres
Elves and Orcs
Gnomes and Goblins

National Traits:

Population Traits:

Academic Traits:

Military Traits:

Military Units:

Naval Traits:

Necromancy: (Cannot be Taken with Divine Magic)

Divine Magic: (Cannot be Taken with Necromancy)

Elemental Magic: All Greater Elemental Magics Require their Lesser Counterpart. (Cannot be Taken with Technology Traits)

Illusion Magic:

Technology: (Cannot be taken with any Elemental Traits)

Racial Traits:

History: Select one from each category, THESE DO NOT COUNT AS TRAIT POINTS, SIMPLY GIVE SOME BACKGROUND:

Recent History:

Shattered by the Shadow: Your nation was utterly demolished by the Shadows attack, and a new government has formed to try to bring order from the chaos.

Bastion of Light: One of the few nations to withstand the siege of the Shadow, your nation is a unifying example to others.

Opportunists: With the attack of the Shadow you took the opportunity to obtain some lands and riches you felt your neighbours didn't really deserve, enriching you but it's bound to make you unpopular with the neighbours.

Refugee Camps: Your nation is filled with Refugees fleeing the Shadow. You haven't yet tasted the blade of the Shadow, but your trying to find a way to help those made homeless by it.

Isolationist: You were never part of the Alliance and thus far are untouched by the Shadow, now may be a time to create a small alliance of your own, or remain solitary, but maybe take some new territories from your weaker neighbours.

The King has Fallen: The Shadow managed to murder your monarch/ruling class, leaving his successor(s) to take their place.

The Slaughter was horrible: The Shadow ravaged your nation, you survived, or at least parts of you did. Large chunks of your land are now desolate and lifeless, as scars of the war still stain your lands and your population was horribly reduced.

The Shadow Sounds like a good employer..: Your nation hasn't been harmed by the Shadow yet, and though no one has yet managed to negotiate or even parley with the Shadow, you are looking for a way, because it seems to you that if you can't beat them....

Older History:

Champions of the Alliance: Your nation has always championed the cause of the Alliance and has engaged in many wars on it's behalf.

Grudging members: You joined because you didn't see any other choices in the matter, not because you really believed in the cause.

Warlike: You have, whether on behalf of the alliance, in spite of it, or just because you want to, been engaged in warfare every time you turn around. Your people have a reputation as warmongers, which may cause others to respect, or despise you.

Pacifists: You have been a leading voice on every peace conference, constantly trying to bring all sides to a mutually beneficial agreement. This gives you a reputation as someone that does not enjoy war, making some view you as a visionary, and others see you as weak.

Show me the Money: Any agreements made at any conference you go to, and any war you engage in, seems to be involved in some way with the acquisition of more money.

Crusaders: Your people have engaged in crusades against other nations and peoples on behalf of your gods, giving you a reputation as zealots that lingers to this day.

Leave me out of it: Your nation has largely ignored other nations and has asked in turn to just be left alone in return. Sometimes this works, sometimes it seems like the lone beast without a herd is the most vulnerable.

Founding Member: Your Nation was one of the Super Powers that formed the Great Alliance. Though your power and influence is now diminished, you were once viewed as one of the mightiest nations in the world.

Ancient History:

Tribal Roots: Your people come from a tribal culture, family ties are very strong.

Divinely Mandated Rule: Your nation was founded by the will of the gods, or so your clergy tells you at least. The founding father(s) of your nation are revered as saints or gods and their descendants are incapable of being wrong, they are after all descended from perfection.

Nomads: Your people were nomads once upon a time. Whether this is still in evidence in your culture is moot, because as a result of your travels you have very accurate maps of the parts of the world you lived in, at least barring changes in the last several centuries.

Wizards in Hiding: In ancient times the Magi were a feared and reviled group, most nations would not permit them to live in their borders, let alone give them positions of power. Thus your nation was a hiding ground for a large number of Magi, they chose to band together for safety and community, eventually emerging to either take over the culture or merge with it when the people's fears had passed.

Tyranny: Your founding is written in blood, on parchments of flesh. Your nation was not founded willingly, and whether this resulted in a later rebellion, Great Alliance intercession, or whether the Tyranny goes on to this day, the fact is, your nation has a rep as an inhospitable place to live.

Common Defence: There is nothing great and noble, or frightening and vengeful, about the story of your founding. It's quite simply a group of people banding together to defend themselves against the threats of the world. Somehow, it grew from there.

Feudalistic Society: Your lands were founded by a warlord, or a wizard, who swiftly named himself ruler and set about establishing a system of lords to help him govern his newly claimed lands, granting land in exchange for service.

Republic: A nation by the people for the people, that is the dream your founding fathers had, and that is what your nation has tried to fulfil since then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW IT WORKS

RULES

1: Be civil to everyone, participating or not.
2: Absolutely NO godmodding.
3: Don't carry grudges from this RP out into the rest of the forum.
4: Don't get all grumpy if someone attacks you. Just attack them back.
5: I have the final say in all matters.
6: If you are going to join this, please do so confident you will not disappear for weeks on end with no notice.
7: Only one post per turn as it represents your nation’s actions. The only exception is diplomatic action as otherwise the alliance system is redundant.
8: One post per update is compulsory or else your nation does nothing and is easy prey.
9: I will aim for updates weekly as I’m sure everyone will by dying for the chance to hammer their RP rivals to oblivion. :)

The Nation Sheet.

NATION

Nation Name:
Chosen Colour for Nation:
People of Importance:
Population:

TRAITS:

National Traits

Population Traits

Academic Traits

Military Traits

Military Units Traits

Naval Traits

Necromancy Traits

Divine Magic Traits

Elemental Magic Traits

Illusion Magic Traits

Technology Traits

Racial Traits

History

MILITARY:

Navy

Army

I hope to see some of the original nations returning as well as plenty of new blood.

See less See more
#183 · (Edited)
Well I'm-a herpa derpa doo. Look at my lack of attention. :search:

Postification has been completed. Sorry for any errors, I wanted to get through it tonight, and I just can't focus that long when I've got two free weeks after tomorrow. I'm not going to send any requests by PM, but I'm happy to be given responses publicly or by PM.

#188 ·
Good emperor, man, you'd have to be some kind of deity (or just rich enough to not have to work and to hire 15 servants) to run anything more than this!

However, will we be seeing the Conquest's twin RP anytime soon, like last try? Or have you already said? I apologise in advance for any stupidity/ignorance, I've been overfilling my brain with revision recently.

#191 ·
Wait, have I been getting this wrong this whole time?

Can I research, build a structure and recruit troops in one province at the same time?

Edit: And I'm up for a traditional rp alongside this, though I'll probably post slow in both

#198 ·
Apologies for having such a useless post guys, but I need something up before the update and I'll edit in the actual post in later. For now you'll have to make do with the summary

#201 ·
No Romero I got it wrong; you can only learn one trait at a time, it says so in the rules. Unless of course that rule has changed?

#202 ·
Oh......

Well that's slightly awkward on my part. I mush have been thinking about other things. Although due to it having drawn my attention I realize that I haven't actually updated the rules for quite a long time. I'll go do that now.

#203 ·
So, can we or can we not research multiple things at once? Because I am certain you replied to me in a PM saying I could research two tech traits at a time in two different provinces (hence this turn me researching Controlled Flight and Mechanical Walkers).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.