Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
41 - 60 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
@Romero so will it be kind of an either/or system? Like build x number of ships OR x number of soldiers? Or can you build your allotted amount of ships in addition to your land forces? :D

·
Banned
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well each province will be able to create troops or ships. So if you have, lets say, two provinces, you could make troops in one while making ships in the other.

And no-one get any ideas about sitting in a corner of the map amassing a huge army. If i spot anyone doing that I will make sure the surrounding nations get a bit more 'unfriendly'.

The system of recruitment is only for replacing losses. So you can;t make a thousand ships if you haven't lost a thousand ships. That represents people compensating for any defeats they have.

If there any queries or problems with these rules just let me know.

·
Reaper of Souls
1,303 Posts
Well each province will be able to create troops or ships. So if you have, lets say, two provinces, you could make troops in one while making ships in the other.

And no-one get any ideas about sitting in a corner of the map amassing a huge army. If i spot anyone doing that I will make sure the surrounding nations get a bit more 'unfriendly'.

The system of recruitment is only for replacing losses. So you can;t make a thousand ships if you haven't lost a thousand ships. That represents people compensating for any defeats they have.

If there any queries or problems with these rules just let me know.
I know that you're the gm and this is your rp but I can't understand why nations wouldn't recruit more troops in times of peace. Maybe you could slow down the recruitment process when not at war but keep it at the current speed in times of conflict?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I know that you're the gm and this is your rp but I can't understand why nations wouldn't recruit more troops in times of peace. Maybe you could slow down the recruitment process when not at war but keep it at the current speed in times of conflict?
I see where you're coming from Santaire, but one prob I foresee is the different 'elite-itudeness' of the different army types. For example, 200 'For King and Country!' are laughably superior to 200 'Grab Yer Pitchforks!' so in the same amount of time one army can be drastically more powerful than the other.

Actually, re-reading that that point has nothing to do with what you just said :3 but it still holds valid! Although I do still get what Romero is trying to avoid. Romero, perhaps introduce some kind of limiter? So different circumstances result in different rates of recruitment?

ie; during war time conscription allows for a 100% rate of army recruitment, which is also possible whilst replenishing losses to beginning-of-game military numbers. However, if your army reaches its beginning point (I'm going to use the 100,000 of 'For King and Country!' as an example) then this rate steadily declines, signifying increased logistical costs of maintaining an expanded force and finding enough citizens willing to join the army. Say if your army is 150% of it's starting 'cap' then recruitment drops to 75% (or 50%?) and at the 200% milestone drops even further to 50% (or 25%?) etc eventually reaching a point perhaps where the player has such a large army an IC event could dictate how their army expands in future. (Kinda going off on a tangent here!) Say, perhaps they can continue to expand but only through conscription, which has the consequence of both reducing happiness amongst the population and the effectiveness of the new troops, or maybe they can expand their army further but a 'cap' is introduced based on the number of provinces they own, or even an option to expand but at the cost of increased aggression from NPC neighbours and even the spectre of an NPC coalition against them? (Just rambling, no need to listen to any of this ;) ).

Anyway, just throwing this out there!

·
Reaper of Souls
1,303 Posts
I see where you're coming from Santaire, but one prob I foresee is the different 'elite-itudeness' of the different army types. For example, 200 'For King and Country!' are laughably superior to 200 'Grab Yer Pitchforks!' so in the same amount of time one army can be drastically more powerful than the other.

Actually, re-reading that that point has nothing to do with what you just said :3 but it still holds valid! Although I do still get what Romero is trying to avoid. Romero, perhaps introduce some kind of limiter? So different circumstances result in different rates of recruitment?

ie; during war time conscription allows for a 100% rate of army recruitment, which is also possible whilst replenishing losses to beginning-of-game military numbers. However, if your army reaches its beginning point (I'm going to use the 100,000 of 'For King and Country!' as an example) then this rate steadily declines, signifying increased logistical costs of maintaining an expanded force and finding enough citizens willing to join the army. Say if your army is 150% of it's starting 'cap' then recruitment drops to 75% (or 50%?) and at the 200% milestone drops even further to 50% (or 25%?) etc eventually reaching a point perhaps where the player has such a large army an IC event could dictate how their army expands in future. (Kinda going off on a tangent here!) Say, perhaps they can continue to expand but only through conscription, which has the consequence of both reducing happiness amongst the population and the effectiveness of the new troops, or maybe they can expand their army further but a 'cap' is introduced based on the number of provinces they own, or even an option to expand but at the cost of increased aggression from NPC neighbours and even the spectre of an NPC coalition against them? (Just rambling, no need to listen to any of this ;) ).

Anyway, just throwing this out there!
Exactly what I was thinking, though in far more detail. :clapping:

·
Banned
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback from you all. It is really appreciated and you bring up some really good points.

Looking back I agree that saying no nation could recruit troops, only replace, was pretty stupid. But then the question is, how to control the army growth?

Yru0, you bring up some really great ideas there, although I am leaning away from using percentages as it adds an overly complicated layer to the game mechanics, in my opinion anyway.

My current idea is to keep the rate of training, so 1000 elite. trained troops in two turns or 5000 conscripts in one turn. And navy it will be 100 Ironclad's in two turns or 100 ships/transports in one turn. Now I am planning to tie the amount of provinces under your control into this 'equation' although I am not yet sure whether this will effect the time it takes to train, the amount you can train or even both. Any preferences on this would be great.

A really good point was brought up in saying that, if you largely surpassed your original army cap, then the game itself would react to this, whether it is increased attention from the shadow or the hostility of surrounding NPC nations. I am defiantly interested in using this and am considering that reaching double your original army size would begin serious problems.

I will go back and incorporate these changes into the rules now, allowing you guys to read over them at your leisure and see if they are better or if they can be futher improved.

EDIT: The rules have now been altered according to the new ideas and suggestions.

In other news, a map should be up by Monday, marking the beginning of the RP early in March.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Fo'shizzle. Stuff's about to go down. It is fine for nations to not be all-out conquering, more interested in self-defense and learning? i.e. would it be fine for me to act passively until threats begin to appear?

On the army recruitment thing, I would make it so that you can recruit, say, 10%+250 troops per turn of the number you have missing from your starting total. So if you were to lose 1000 troops, you could train 350 one turn, 315 the next, and so on. Slows growth. I agree though, it must be hard to find the balance between good rules and simple rules.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sheet will be up soon just finishing off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How about 250 professional troops per province per turn or two, and 1000 Conscript and an army equal to your starting size plus provinces times 1000 or maybe 5000... Just seems like it could be a good way, so that bad you expand, so can your army, and if you loose a province, you have a smaller army and production speed

·
Registered
657 Posts
sadly due to looking at current/near future projects i wont be ablt to take part in the long run.

·
Reaper of Souls
1,303 Posts
Mine should be up tomorrow, but I've got quite a few rps to post in first

41 - 60 of 355 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.